• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Calling all OC supporters

J.Gleason

Banned
I guess I was thinking that if he was asked for permission, which he could grant, and he deliberately refuses he would be depriving the OCers of their rights. IANAL but it does seem to apply.

johnny amish

Whether they will march separately or in one group I think this provides us with opportunity. Let me know. I will be at the gun show Friday night and Sunday all day at the Onalaska Omni Center at either the La Crosse County Republican Party table or the WCI table. If you are there let's talk, or PM me.

I will be working the WCI table with Hubert on fri talk to you then.

M

McX

i can't go, have to work. but i'll dump this here; yesterday heading home, driving along, and then there it was going past me- as i am old and drive slow, a gold colored SUV with a WisconsinCarry sticker on the back of it. Didn't see who was driving, too buisy oggling the sticker. Has there been some massive influx of members in this area i don't know about? Either way, seen 2 now!
and on that note: Mr. Chairman, if you are listening on this frequency, something to consider: If you got any extra Wisconsin Carry t-shirts, get them down to me, and we'll hawk them for you at the shop, in our front retail section, maybe even get one up in the window for passers by to see. just a thought. Exposure for us, exposure for Wisconsin Carry, and revenue for Wisconsin Carry.

MKEgal

Loading and unloading in the midst of a large group of people, many of whom are drunk and obnoxious would not be a very safe situation.

Dropping the magazine isn't that big a deal, but I agree that simply carrying & casing/uncasing an unloaded gun would serve to make the point. It is legal to carry an unloaded encased pistol in a GFSZ.

I'd suggested having signs "entering GFSZ" "exiting GFSZ" to hold up at the proper time, but again if most of the route is within school zones that wouldn't help much. Maybe have one that says "we're disarmed because of the school zone here"? "We're disarmed because there's a school-related property within 3 blocks"?

Get a map from the Chief showing exactly where he thinks the GFSZ are. Don't want to break the law now, do we?

johnny amish

The parade starts at 10am. Dan's crew would like to meet around 8:30 at the corner of Clinton and Copeland, we will be #78 in the line up. Right now we have 4 people willing to walk, please let me know if you can help or have any questions.

johnny amish

Looks like we will be walking with two groups for this parade. Both the LCRP and Dan Kapanke have been kind enough to invite us to walk. Right now we have somewhere around 15 volunteers to walk, given to size of this parade we could many more. This will be a great opportunity to spread the word.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
just a thought. If you can't carry in the parade, it would be a great demonstrator of the legality and practical ability to open-carry if there were OC'ers along the parade route in the crowd that you could walk up to, shake hands with, etc. That way people could see that people really DO OC.

I still am of the opinion that carrying a case and just leaving your gun unloaded and then you can quickly uncase outside the school zones and drop it in the holster then case again if you end up back in a school zone would be the greatest demonstration of a practical ability of people to open-carry in Wisconsin.

BROKENSPROKET

Ature
just a thought. If you can't carry in the parade, it would be a great demonstrator of the legality and practical ability to open-carry if there were OC'ers along the parade route in the crowd that you could walk up to, shake hands with, etc. That way people could see that people really DO OC.

I still am of the opinion that carrying a case and just leaving your gun unloaded and then you can quickly uncase outside the school zones and drop it in the holster then case again if you end up back in a school zone would be the greatest demonstration of a practical ability of people to open-carry in Wisconsin.

I am of the opinion that we should OC in the parade anyway. If the parade started in a school zone, then I would holster as soon as I was out of it. If the parade passed through a school zone, but did not end in one, I would OC all the way through. I also would stay on the street and not mix with the crowd to hand out pamphlets. It just does not make sense to me go empty holster. If its empty holster, then why hand out gun rights literature.

Veto The Tax

This is exactly what is wrong with the gun rights movement in WI. You get invited to participate in a parade. You DIDN'T enter into, and then First you complain, Second you plot. Go ahead, carry in the parade even though the OP made it clear this was empty holster. It WILL hurt your cause.

I have watched so many of you write "we sill support ANY step forward," well it sounds like this will be a step forward.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
This is exactly what is wrong with the gun rights movement in WI.

Really?

I think a discussion of whether carrying empty holster sends an accurate message or misleading one is a viable topic of discussion/debate.

I am not a sociologist, so I won't "guarantee" that I can predict how people would react to seeing people claim OC is legal (all while walking empty holster) but I've spent my life around people, observing, persuading, and seeing the results of the methods I've used. We all know actions speak louder than words. It is also true the WRONG actions speak louder than the right words.

It is my opinion that passing out brochures supporting OC, while walking empty holster would be very confusing and lead uneducated parade particpants to feel like instead of walking the walk, the participants are asking OTHER people to "walk the walk" that they are not.

TRUE you could explain to people that "well we would be carrying if it wasn't for the gun free school zones" (even though you may not be in one at the moment) but YOU should open-carry. It is my opinion that is A LOT to try to communicate in a few seconds of a person's attention walking in a parade. I believe if you aren't in a gun free school zone, you should walk the walk and open-carry.

It is my opinion that walking in a parade while OC'ing DEMONSTRATES FAR more credible of a story without saying a word than walking empty holster with pamphlets ever would.

OC'ing in the parade PROVES instantly that its totally legal. You don't have to say a word. You don't have to hand a pamphlet to anyone. One glance proves its legal. Going empty holster proves what? That you can't OC. Handing out pamphlets at the same time suggests not only that you really can't OC but also that you want other people to do what you aren't doing. (in my opinion)

I have watched so many of you write "we sill support ANY step forward," well it sounds like this will be a step forward.

BEFORE the AG memo we talked about open-carry out in public to advance the cause (well some people did more than talk, i was not one of them) but BEFORE the AG memo "talking" moved the ball forward. We are now past "talking" and we have been DOING. It is my opinion that going BACK to the days of TALKING about OCing instead of OC'ing is indeed a step backward.

It is my opinion that walking empty holster in a place that you could be walking OC'ing may very well be a step backward because it sends a conflicting message and may suggest to some people that OC is really just "theoretical" and not REALLY practical to exercise. That is what people thought for years and I can just see people seeing you walking empty holster trying to advocate for people to exercise their right to carry and people saying "ya right, YOU aren't even carrying and I'm suppose to believe I can?"

I think you may be better off going NO holster than going empty holster. Going no holster may at least suggest that you just decided not to carry while going empty holster seems to be a protest that you can't carry (which is a misleading message)

Lastly, it is my opinion that any candidate who CLAIMS to support gun right should INDEED support those gun rights.

If Kapanke invited you to walk in his parade and he supports carry rights, why is he asking you not to carry???

Perhaps the appearance of your support FOR HIM means more to him than HIS support of your rights. Who serves who? Kapanke needs YOUR vote. Kapanke needs the vote of people who believe in the right to carry. (if he didn't think he needed that vote he wouldn't have asked you to walk with him) Explain to Kapanke that if he wants your support he needs to support your rights. GONE are the days of the people seeking the graces of the politician. HERE are the days of politicians serving the people. Kapanke should be seeking YOUR support. The seat in CONGRESS Kapanke is running for belongs to the people of Wisconsin's 3rd Congressional District, not to Kapanke. The power of the seat that Kapanke is seeking belongs to the PEOPLE of Wisconsin's 3rd Congressional District, not Kapanke. Don't seek to please Kapanke, seek Kapanke to please YOU.

I've had enough of candidates who would trot out their NRA membership as SYMBOL of their support of gun rights but they don't REALLY support gun rights.

I wouldn't let a candidate USE me to walk with him in a parade to show that that politician is a proponent of gun rights while that politician asked me not to carry in the parade.

Hypocrisy (just my opinion)

I ask everyone who considers walking in the parade empty holster to consider the arguments I've laid out here.

If at the end of the day, you decide the movement is brought forward, not backward by walking empty holster, I will disagree with your decision but respect you for doing what you believe to be in the best interest of the cause.

Now lets see if we can have a gentleman's debate about whether walking empty holster sends the WRONG message and may do more harm than good instead of calling names and lobbing insults. I don't think a gentleman's debate demonstrates "exactly what is wrong with the gun rights movement in Wisconsin"

Last edited:
M

McX

what is wrong with the gun movement in wisconsin? it appears that aside from our efforts, and the efforts of WisconsinCarry, there is no other movement, and that is the problem.

i can't go, have to work. but i'll dump this here; yesterday heading home, driving along, and then there it was going past me- as i am old and drive slow, a gold colored SUV with a WisconsinCarry sticker on the back of it. Didn't see who was driving, too buisy oggling the sticker. Has there been some massive influx of members in this area i don't know about? Either way, seen 2 now!
and on that note: Mr. Chairman, if you are listening on this frequency, something to consider: If you got any extra Wisconsin Carry t-shirts, get them down to me, and we'll hawk them for you at the shop, in our front retail section, maybe even get one up in the window for passers by to see. just a thought. Exposure for us, exposure for Wisconsin Carry, and revenue for Wisconsin Carry.

Where was this? It sounds like me, my Tahoe isn't gold, GM calls its champagne. Was it two tone? The bottom half of my truck is black, all my windows are tinted pitch black, and I've got big Goodyear mud tires. Also was there a Ruger firearms decals next to the WCI decal?

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
what is wrong with the gun movement in wisconsin? it appears that aside from our efforts, and the efforts of WisconsinCarry, there is no other movement, and that is the problem.

I agree McX. The carry rights movement in Wisconsin has moved forward leaps and bounds in the past year and a half.

A year and a half ago only a few people carried. Those people were inevitably harassed/arrested by the police.

A relatively small group of people (perhaps a hundred? a couple hundred) were able to get active and affect a HUGE change in Wisconsin. Some people made small contributions. Some people made HUGE contributions, but a hundred people (maybe less) were able to literally MOVE A MOUNTAIN in Wisconsin. People exercised their rights and began to talk about exercising their rights and that forced the issue. the AG clarified the law for police chiefs and DA's.

Today, a year and half later, THOUSANDS of people exercise their right to carry on a DAILY basis with NO police interaction, NO harassment. TODAY, police harassment is the exception NOT the rule.

Lawsuits have been won, municipalities are on notice, the Wisconsin Republican Party CHANGED its official platform.

We are on a roll. Nothing is wrong with the gun movement in Wisconsin other than criticism of it from within.