• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police shootings raise questions, cause outcry

Dave Workman

Kryteon

What are the disturbing questions? They seem to remain unasked.

1. Have some cops become "trigger happy"?
2. Have some cops decided to shoot first and ask questions later?
3. Do some cops think a badge and a gun put them above the law?

I also have some doubts about the recent shootings. I guess all we can do is wait until all the facts are made public.

In the meantime, I hope I don't get shot protecting my property from a prowler.

Leatherneck

What's interesting is that the investigation is still ongoing, but higher ups at the SPD are already apologizing and telling the public "police make bad decisions too."

Sounds like someone's being thrown under the bus!

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
In the Seattle shooting...

What was the reason (RAS) that officer Ian Birk had to even talk to the wood carver John T Williams? If there is no RAS that a crime had been committed or was about to be committed then the stop/contact was illegal per the 4th amendment. If the stop is unconstitutional then anything that follows would be inadmissible in court. Therefore officer Birk would have committed something far more than a poor stop. I suggest a bus ride to Walla Walla would be in order.

If the answer to the RAS question is that the small knife was the reason for contact, then I would suggest that officer Birk's perception of a knife over 3 1/2 inches (which is silly) and his contact for mere possession of the knife is substantially questionable, and his judgment skills as an officer of the law need to be fully reviewed and a map printed with directions to the unemployment office.