Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Victorville CA

Victorville CA

Hey guys. New here and I was trying to gather info on oc in my area. I called the local pd I they said they didn't know of such law. I called the surrounding cities and they said it was ok as long as I follow the laws. They had me call code enforcement. Even they said they would have to call me back. ???

called back

Hey guys just got a call from victorville police dept. They sure did give me the run arounds. To answer my questions. And they said it was ok to oc as long as I follow the laws that apply. Can't wait to try it out.

Start here...

Read ALL the links in the first post and commit them to memory. Knowing the law is the first step BEFORE walking out your front door packing.

Knowledge is the best defense against LEO's that do NOT know the law, as you just found out. If your local PD doesn't know about Unloaded Open Carry, be prepared for a LOT of hassle until they do. Print out the UOC pamphlet and keep it with you when you venture out, so when you do get stopped you can hand it to them afterwards.
    Last edited by Army; 09-09-2010 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Army View Post
    Start here...

Read ALL the links in the first post and commit them to memory. Knowing the law is the first step BEFORE walking out your front door packing.

Knowledge is the best defense against LEO's that do NOT know the law, as you just found out. If your local PD doesn't know about Unloaded Open Carry, be prepared for a LOT of hassle until they do. Print out the UOC pamphlet and keep it with you when you venture out, so when you do get stopped you can hand it to them afterwards.
    Thx for the info. I am new to this and I been trying to gather as much info as possible before I venture out. Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 2 many View Post
    Hey guys just got a call from victorville police dept. They sure did give me the run arounds. To answer my questions. And they said it was ok to oc as long as I follow the laws that apply. Can't wait to try it out.
    This should be your first indicator of how your first police encounter will go.

If the officers are not aware of the law, I would expect to be detained for longer than is reasonable to conduct a 12031 (e) inspection and for them to search the penal code for some applicable charges- because this can't possibly be legal in their eyes.

This is further incentive to be completely educated on the topic.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Regular Member coolusername2007's Avatar
    Is Victorville incorporated? If not are there any shooting restrictions? If not, you can LOC. Victorville is out there, I'd look into it. But before you do anything, read the penal code brochures, read other's experiences, and be fully prepared. UOC is not without peril.

Welcome to the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by coolusername2007 View Post
    Is Victorville incorporated? If not are there any shooting restrictions? If not, you can LOC. Victorville is out there, I'd look into it. But before you do anything, read the penal code brochures, read other's experiences, and be fully prepared. UOC is not without peril.

Welcome to the forums.
    Yeah VV is incorporated, as well as Apple Valley and Hesperia. So LOC is a no go.

loc

Welcome to the forums.
    I am a new. What does loc stand for

Regular Member coolusername2007's Avatar
    LOC = Loaded Open Carry
    UOC = Unloaded Open Carry

loc

LOC = Loaded Open Carry
    UOC = Unloaded Open Carry
    Thx

chp

Just got off the phone with the victorville chp office and they said that you can oc on a motorcycle but you cannot carry loaded mags in a mag pouch on your belt across from your. Unloaded gun in a holster within reach ??

Just got off the phone with the victorville chp office and they said that you can oc on a motorcycle but you cannot carry loaded mags in a mag pouch on your belt across from your. Unloaded gun in a holster within reach ??
    Welcome to the world of uninformed LEOs.
    Who can blame them really when the CA firearm law SUMMARY booklet is 50+ pages long.

Even the chief in hermosa beach who has made sure none of his officers do e-checks (huge props to him) did not know having a loaded mag on your person was legal before a few months ago when I started working with him.

This is an example of why it's a good reason to carry a audio/video recorder when UOC'ing. It would be proof that you are legally carrying with full, unconcealed mags on your belt. Mags must be carried unconcealed as they are part of the weapon. An empty mag can be in the well. Speedy loaders and loose ammo can be concealed as they are not part of the weapon.
    Walking, in a car and on a motorcycle are all the same as far as UOC'ing goes.
    LEO's aren't very good sources for UOC information. Some are out of the loop.
    Last edited by Gundude; 09-10-2010 at 06:30 PM.
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

local pd

Is there a way to inform local law enforcement about oc. It seems not all departments are getting the memo?

Congratulate yourself. You now know more than some police officers do.

Possession of both a firearm and ammunition is NOT a crime unless you are carrying during the commission of a felony (12001(j)), carrying at the State Capitol, legislative offices, office of the Governor, and Governor’s residence (171e), or at a gun show (12071.4 (g)). In each of these instances, the violation is based on an alternative definition of what is 'loaded'.

Under every other circumstance, 12031(g) is the governing definition.
    Last edited by ConditionThree; 09-10-2010 at 10:19 PM.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

leos side

Quote Originally Posted by Gundude View Post
    This is an example of why it's a good reason to carry a audio/video recorder when UOC'ing. It would be proof that you are legally carrying with full, unconcealed mags on your belt. Mags must be carried unconcealed as they are part of the weapon. An empty mag can be in the well. Speedy loaders and loose ammo can be concealed as they are not part of the weapon.
    Walking, in a car and on a motorcycle are all the same as far as UOC'ing goes.
    LEO's aren't very good sources for UOC information. Some are out of the loop.
    I just like to see what they have to say so I can better prepared myself. Thx guys

Open Carry Demonstration

I was listening to a police scanner and heard there were four people, OC'ing off of Bear Valley somewhere! Where were you guys, we need to publicize such events so that we can be in much larger groups.

Hope, VV Deputies didnt give you too hard a time. Please post what happened!!

I UOC with one of these. Full mag in the little pouch. Perfectly legal.
    Last edited by Gundude; 09-29-2010 at 03:56 PM.
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

New Open Carry interest.

I was informed about open carry by my manager at work. I live in Victorville and wanted to see if there were any others out there doing just that. I would like to maybe gather more information about this and maybe make this a growing expression of our Constitutional Rights.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LegalAddiction View Post
    I was informed about open carry by my manager at work. I live in Victorville and wanted to see if there were any others out there doing just that. I would like to maybe gather more information about this and maybe make this a growing expression of our Constitutional Rights.
    Welcome aboard OCDO.

Spend some time perusing these forums - you'll be pleasantly surprised, I think.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

WOW nice to see new faces. Welcome. Read read and understand the law. There is NO such unloaded open carry law! It's the LACK of law that allows one to UOC in CA. There are a lot of things that can go wrong. But having a gun at hand to protect yourself and loved ones is well worth the effort.

Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanburbridge View Post
    WOW nice to see new faces. Welcome. Read read and understand the law. There is NO such unloaded open carry law! It's the LACK of law that allows one to UOC in CA. There are a lot of things that can go wrong. But having a gun at hand to protect yourself and loved ones is well worth the effort.

Carry on.
    I saw your videos about the encounter in Long Beach. Crazy stuff.

I've read magazines cannot be attached to the holster.
    Am I correct? I'll buy one if it's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Keagy View Post
    I've read magazines cannot be attached to the holster.
    Am I correct? I'll buy one if it's okay.
    See post #19 of this thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast