• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Victorville CA

1 2 many

Hey guys. New here and I was trying to gather info on oc in my area. I called the local pd I they said they didn't know of such law. I called the surrounding cities and they said it was ok as long as I follow the laws. They had me call code enforcement. Even they said they would have to call me back. ???

1 2 many

called back

Hey guys just got a call from victorville police dept. They sure did give me the run arounds. To answer my questions. And they said it was ok to oc as long as I follow the laws that apply. Can't wait to try it out.

Army

Start here...

Read ALL the links in the first post and commit them to memory. Knowing the law is the first step BEFORE walking out your front door packing.

Knowledge is the best defense against LEO's that do NOT know the law, as you just found out. If your local PD doesn't know about Unloaded Open Carry, be prepared for a LOT of hassle until they do. Print out the UOC pamphlet and keep it with you when you venture out, so when you do get stopped you can hand it to them afterwards.

Last edited:

1 2 many

Start here...

Read ALL the links in the first post and commit them to memory. Knowing the law is the first step BEFORE walking out your front door packing.

Knowledge is the best defense against LEO's that do NOT know the law, as you just found out. If your local PD doesn't know about Unloaded Open Carry, be prepared for a LOT of hassle until they do. Print out the UOC pamphlet and keep it with you when you venture out, so when you do get stopped you can hand it to them afterwards.
Thx for the info. I am new to this and I been trying to gather as much info as possible before I venture out. Thx.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Hey guys just got a call from victorville police dept. They sure did give me the run arounds. To answer my questions. And they said it was ok to oc as long as I follow the laws that apply. Can't wait to try it out.

This should be your first indicator of how your first police encounter will go.

If the officers are not aware of the law, I would expect to be detained for longer than is reasonable to conduct a 12031 (e) inspection and for them to search the penal code for some applicable charges- because this can't possibly be legal in their eyes.

This is further incentive to be completely educated on the topic.

coolusername2007

Is Victorville incorporated? If not are there any shooting restrictions? If not, you can LOC. Victorville is out there, I'd look into it. But before you do anything, read the penal code brochures, read other's experiences, and be fully prepared. UOC is not without peril.

Welcome to the forums.

g21owner

Is Victorville incorporated? If not are there any shooting restrictions? If not, you can LOC. Victorville is out there, I'd look into it. But before you do anything, read the penal code brochures, read other's experiences, and be fully prepared. UOC is not without peril.

Welcome to the forums.

Yeah VV is incorporated, as well as Apple Valley and Hesperia. So LOC is a no go.

1 2 many

loc

Welcome to the forums.
I am a new. What does loc stand for

1 2 many

chp

Just got off the phone with the victorville chp office and they said that you can oc on a motorcycle but you cannot carry loaded mags in a mag pouch on your belt across from your. Unloaded gun in a holster within reach ??

hgreen

Just got off the phone with the victorville chp office and they said that you can oc on a motorcycle but you cannot carry loaded mags in a mag pouch on your belt across from your. Unloaded gun in a holster within reach ??

Welcome to the world of uninformed LEOs.
Who can blame them really when the CA firearm law SUMMARY booklet is 50+ pages long.

Even the chief in hermosa beach who has made sure none of his officers do e-checks (huge props to him) did not know having a loaded mag on your person was legal before a few months ago when I started working with him.

Gundude

This is an example of why it's a good reason to carry a audio/video recorder when UOC'ing. It would be proof that you are legally carrying with full, unconcealed mags on your belt. Mags must be carried unconcealed as they are part of the weapon. An empty mag can be in the well. Speedy loaders and loose ammo can be concealed as they are not part of the weapon.
Walking, in a car and on a motorcycle are all the same as far as UOC'ing goes.
LEO's aren't very good sources for UOC information. Some are out of the loop.

Last edited:

ConditionThree

State Pioneer

Congratulate yourself. You now know more than some police officers do.

Possession of both a firearm and ammunition is NOT a crime unless you are carrying during the commission of a felony (12001(j)), carrying at the State Capitol, legislative offices, office of the Governor, and Governor’s residence (171e), or at a gun show (12071.4 (g)). In each of these instances, the violation is based on an alternative definition of what is 'loaded'.

Under every other circumstance, 12031(g) is the governing definition.

Last edited:

1 2 many

leos side

This is an example of why it's a good reason to carry a audio/video recorder when UOC'ing. It would be proof that you are legally carrying with full, unconcealed mags on your belt. Mags must be carried unconcealed as they are part of the weapon. An empty mag can be in the well. Speedy loaders and loose ammo can be concealed as they are not part of the weapon.
Walking, in a car and on a motorcycle are all the same as far as UOC'ing goes.
LEO's aren't very good sources for UOC information. Some are out of the loop.
I just like to see what they have to say so I can better prepared myself. Thx guys

UOCsupporter

Open Carry Demonstration

I was listening to a police scanner and heard there were four people, OC'ing off of Bear Valley somewhere! Where were you guys, we need to publicize such events so that we can be in much larger groups.

Hope, VV Deputies didnt give you too hard a time. Please post what happened!!

LegalAddiction

New Open Carry interest.

I was informed about open carry by my manager at work. I live in Victorville and wanted to see if there were any others out there doing just that. I would like to maybe gather more information about this and maybe make this a growing expression of our Constitutional Rights.