• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Victorville CA

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I was informed about open carry by my manager at work. I live in Victorville and wanted to see if there were any others out there doing just that. I would like to maybe gather more information about this and maybe make this a growing expression of our Constitutional Rights.

Welcome aboard OCDO.

Spend some time perusing these forums - you'll be pleasantly surprised, I think.

ryanburbridge

WOW nice to see new faces. Welcome. Read read and understand the law. There is NO such unloaded open carry law! It's the LACK of law that allows one to UOC in CA. There are a lot of things that can go wrong. But having a gun at hand to protect yourself and loved ones is well worth the effort.

Carry on.

LegalAddiction

WOW nice to see new faces. Welcome. Read read and understand the law. There is NO such unloaded open carry law! It's the LACK of law that allows one to UOC in CA. There are a lot of things that can go wrong. But having a gun at hand to protect yourself and loved ones is well worth the effort.

Carry on.

I saw your videos about the encounter in Long Beach. Crazy stuff.

Army

I've read magazines cannot be attached to the holster.
Am I correct? I'll buy one if it's okay.
While the law reads ''..cannot be attached to the firearm...'', case law (Clark vs.) re-defined that to be; ''Ammunition cannot be in a position to be fired''....ie loaded in the chamber or cylinder, or a filled magazine inserted into the well.

So, any way you want to carry a magazine openly (in a magazine holster, or even attached to the firearm holster) is fine and legal.

Last edited:

1 2 many

victorville

I was informed about open carry by my manager at work. I live in Victorville and wanted to see if there were any others out there doing just that. I would like to maybe gather more information about this and maybe make this a growing expression of our Constitutional Rights.
Hey I live in victorville also . I know there's others in the area. But I normally run solo because its hard to work around my schedule. Just some advice. Read all the info that is provided Here on the forum

xnetc9

i'm from orange county and we drive through victorville and hesperia to get to barstow to shoot in the deserts. plenty of times we would walk around UOC in victorville to get food before we head off to the deserts. so far... no swat teams, no police helicopters, no snipers yet...

Iopencarry

1) the handgun safety cert is to buy a handgun, you must also carry it with you if you borrow a gun from a family member or friend.

2) It does not take place of a hunter safety cert.

will post a link to the law that says that you must have cert with you when I can.

on edit...sec (2)

12801. (a) As used in this article, the following definitions shall apply:
(1) "Department" means the Department of Justice.
(2) "DOJ Certified Instructor" or "certified instructor" means a person designated as a handgun safety instructor by the Department of Justice pursuant to subdivision (d) of Section 12804.
(b) No person shall do either of the following:
(1) Purchase or receive any handgun, except an antique firearm, as defined in paragraph (16) of subsection (a) of Section 921 of Title 18 of the United States Code, without a valid handgun safety certificate.
(2) Sell, deliver, loan, or transfer any handgun, except an antique firearm, as defined in paragraph (16) of subsection (a) of Section 921 of Title 18 of the United States Code, to any person who does not have a valid handgun safety certificate.

While I do not think that you would need to carry the cert by law, it would not hurt. just in case.
As they can not check anything except load status.. But you do not want to get a loaned gun taking by the LEO's.

Last edited:

mjones

1) the handgun safety cert is to buy a handgun, you must also carry it with you if you borrow a gun from a family member or friend.

There is no requirement to ever have an HSC physically on your person except with regard to the transaction of purchasing a firearm.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
There is no requirement to ever have an HSC physically on your person except with regard to the transaction of purchasing a firearm.

+1, I'm not sure why Iopencarry thinks there is a law talking about having an HSC on you, but I have never heard of such a thing. In fact, CA PC 12800 states, "It is not the intent of the Legislature to require a handgun safety certificate for the mere possession of a firearm."

Iopencarry

guys, if you read the section I posted it says that to loan a gun, they must have a hand gun cert.
Which means that the owner of the gun must SEE the cert to make sure it is up to date.

A LEO/DA might read that (to have) might mean (to process, or to carry).

Uber_Olafsun

I am from VV now in Virginia. Parents still in Apple Valley. I am always shocked on how so many rules can be created to control something like this and the more they create he more confused everyone becomes. At least out here in VA we have preemption so we just have to figure out what set which is pretty clear (except for state agency which is still being worked on).

I was looking to go back there for a trip and see about carrying and was starting to get a headache sorting it out. My step father has his ccw and had to go through hell to get it. They wanted him to go to the gun safety training and such to prove he knew how to handle firearms. He was a former SP in the Air Force. The 9 he carries is the smallest thing he has ever carried.

xnetc9

awesome! one question, can u open carry with a different handgun, rather than your own? such as dads, sisters, brothers...

best you not open carry with someone else's gun. last time i got "echecked". the cops took my gun and ran a whole background check on me and scanned my gun. took 20 mins but at the end, they were ok with it because it was my gun. if i had carried someone else's gun, it will be a lot more troublesome.

UOC your own gun.

GLOCK 23

I'm from Victorville but I moved to Nevada in August. I was just wondering, the Last weekend of July (from this year) I ran into a person UOCing, me and my family were in farmer boys (the one right by the mall on Bear Valley) ordering food when my son noticed a guy with a gun on his hip , I talked with him for a while about OC and I told him I was interested about it but I was moving to Nevada and he said I can open carry all day in Nevada. By any chance is the guy I was talking to on this board? If so thanks for turning me on to Open carrying.