Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casual Open Carry Event in San Pedro - September 16thm - 7:30pm - Granny's Donuts

Cool Casual Open Carry Event in San Pedro - September 16th - 7:30pm - Granny's Donuts

Last edited by hgreen; 09-10-2010 at 10:26 AM.

broken link?
    Springfield EMP 9mm, Kimber Stainless Target II .45, and a Bersa .380 ... More to come...

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldEMP View Post
    broken link?
    Seems to work for me, maybe you have to be part of the SBOC FB page already?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/South-...22802434426757

Be aware, San Pedro is LAPD territory.....and they don't like us

Quote Originally Posted by Army View Post
    That's why we're keeping it low key inside the pro-2A business. Not walking around the streets of down town Pedro... For now.

Quote Originally Posted by hgreen View Post
    That's why we're keeping it low key inside the pro-2A business. Not walking around the streets of down town Pedro... For now.
    haha it seems like forever ago since i was in cuffs there with a few other members of this forum. haha i wonder if i could get a hold of chewy to see if the LAPD is ready for round 2 of trample my rights and telling us to inform them that we will be in the area doing nothing illegal.

haha ill go if i can get a hold of chewy and he wants to cruise up.

hell maybe it would be a good chance to meet up with mike hunt again. havent seen him since the passadena meet.

my money situation will dictate if i can make it up there.

Quote Originally Posted by leoffensive View Post
    haha it seems like forever ago since i was in cuffs there with a few other members of this forum. haha i wonder if i could get a hold of chewy to see if the LAPD is ready for round 2 of trample my rights and telling us to inform them that we will be in the area doing nothing illegal.

haha ill go if i can get a hold of chewy and he wants to cruise up.

hell maybe it would be a good chance to meet up with mike hunt again. havent seen him since the passadena meet.

my money situation will dictate if i can make it up there.
    then again i might not due to it being in a school zone. haha

Quote Originally Posted by leoffensive View Post
    ... school zone...
    Private property such as the parking lot and business are exempt.

http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/626.9.html Exemption #1.

Lets not let over-interpretation of CA's bloated gun laws keep us from exercising our natural rights...

Private property such as the parking lot and business are exempt.

http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/626.9.html Exemption #1.

Lets not let over-interpretation of CA's bloated gun laws keep us from exercising our natural rights...
    It wouldn't be the first time someone caught a guilty verdict while upon a private parking lot which is open to the public...Especially in LAPD territory.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by mjones View Post
    It wouldn't be the first time someone caught a guilty verdict while upon a private parking lot which is open to the public...Especially in LAPD territory.
    Can you give examples of people being convicted with a guilty verdict while open carrying on a private parking lot within 1000 feet of a school?

Can you give examples of people being convicted with a guilty verdict while open carrying on a private parking lot within 1000 feet of a school?
    Uhm...

Theseus?

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh....The-REAL-DEAL!
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

I was thinking the same thing, about theseus, he was arrested tried and convicted of the same thing only difference being he was at a laundry mat. Im foreseeing the same out come i hope you guys reconsider changing locations.

Study!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ConditionThree View Post
    hi hgreen, youve done a tremendous job with your meets so far, and im really proud of you.
    but now i am shocked that you havent studied the trials and tribulations of the old hands
    that have laid the ground work in years past.
    you MUST learn the lesson of theseus, im sure then, you will reTHINK this plan.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Private property is all but non-existent in California. DO NOT open carry in a parking lot in a school zone. You will all be Theseus 2.0! Even a business that is open to the public such as the donut shop may still be subject to the GFSZ unless you are the property owner. That theory is untested, but anything can happen in this state. You'd better cancel this meetup and find another venue, right now.
    Do you want to enjoy liberty in your lifetime?

Consider moving to New Hampshire as part of the Free State Project.

"Live Free or Die"

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Sons of Liberty's Avatar
    The city prosecutor and the judge got it wrong in Theseus' case. Theseus wasn't even permitted to present the Private Property (not "public place") exclusion to the jury. A stacked deck and no defense gets you a "guilty" verdict.

I'm surprised that with all of the support that OC'ers get from CGF that they haven't already filed an appeal on Theseus' behalf. I'm sure they are working on more important things.
    Clinging to God & Guns: The Constitution Restoration Project

After reading the Theseus thread it is clear there is a lot of missing information that is not available to us and the circumstances are not clearly laid out.

626.9 exemption for private property could not be any clearer and if his case did not even present that, then there is no conclusion that any case law invalidates or expands 626.9.

There is nothing there that says you must be the owner of the business to be exempt otherwise employees that have permission of the owner to carry would be liable and we've never heard of a case like that (to my knowledge).

The owner of this establishment is very supportive of open carry and 2A issues, plus others have open carried there before.

Of course its up to everyone to read and know the law for themselves and make their own choices: http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/626.9.html -
    (1) Within a place of residence or place of business or on private
    property, if the place of residence, place of business, or private
    property is not part of the school grounds and the possession of the
    firearm is otherwise lawful.
    Update:
    Only one corner of the parking lot is even in a school zone, the rest, including the business is outside the 1000'.
    Last edited by hgreen; 09-10-2010 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Mapped it.

Exclamation

There have been many cases, too numerous to count, that have defined what is and is not private property within the meaning of certain laws. A public parking lot would not meet that definition in 626.9, which is why Theseus was convicted. He was not allowed to even present the private property defense, because prior cases had gutted that section of the law. It may be written on paper, but it's entirely worthless. Just forget about the whole concept of private property within the borders of California. About the only place left that has any semblance of "private" left would be the inside of your locked home or business, or within the fenced (and gated) portion of your yard or acreage. They'll get around to taking that away, too, eventually.
    Do you want to enjoy liberty in your lifetime?

Consider moving to New Hampshire as part of the Free State Project.

"Live Free or Die"

Quote Originally Posted by Sons of Liberty View Post
    I'm surprised that with all of the support that OC'ers get from CGF that they haven't already filed an appeal on Theseus' behalf. I'm sure they are working on more important things.
    You know not of what you speak. CGF has never left one of us behind and has and is doing more then you may ever know. I hope someday you look back on your words with embarrassment and shame.

As for GFSZs don't try to find logic in the exemptions. You will find yourself in the clutches of the Ca. Criminal Court system.
    Last edited by cato; 09-10-2010 at 01:25 AM.

Regular Member coolusername2007's Avatar
    After reading the Theseus thread it is clear there is a lot of missing information that is not available to us and the circumstances are not clearly laid out.
    There are many, many threads concerning Theseus' case, here and at CGN. Little info is missing. I would encourage you to read it all ASAP. If you're outside the VDZ (Victim Disarmament Zone) then fine, but do not, under any circumstances, UOC inside the VDZ unless you want to lose your gun rights for 10 years.

Theseus' lawyer was well prepared but was shot down by the judge on every major point. The result was Theseus no longer had any solid arguments to defend himself with and lost. The jury never got to hear the truth. After blowing all his dough on his trial, he does not have sufficient funds for an appeal.

Would love to attend one of these in the San Diego area. I'm new to this site, but very interested in OC. I am reading the information I can find out there. I will gladly start a new thread and apologize if this is the wrong place, but just wondering a couple of things:

1) I discovered via a map that my home is within 1000 ft. of a small private school in a church (it's about 600 ft away). In theory is OC or even LOC legal on my own property? My reading of the law seems to indicate that OC would be.

2) I know with the higher profile of OC thanks to the AB1934 fight more info is out and I've read some of the training memos for LE departments in the San Diego area. Has OC become any less risky in my area? Is it still advisable to carry a recorder and be prepared with money set aside for an attorney or are police better trained about this.

My apologies in advance if my questions are better directed somewhere else. I'm reading all I can, but like most of you-- being a law abiding citizen-- my encounters with law enforcement up to this point in my 49 years on this planet have been limited to traffic stops and not potentially adversarial situations. Yet I'm upset that some in law enforcement would like to intimidate us out of exercising rights that the founding fathers meant to be protected.

Quote Originally Posted by RockerFor2A View Post
    Would love to attend one of these in the San Diego area. I'm new to this site, but very interested in OC. I am reading the information I can find out there. I will gladly start a new thread and apologize if this is the wrong place, but just wondering a couple of things:

1) I discovered via a map that my home is within 1000 ft. of a small private school in a church (it's about 600 ft away). In theory is OC or even LOC legal on my own property? My reading of the law seems to indicate that OC would be.

2) I know with the higher profile of OC thanks to the AB1934 fight more info is out and I've read some of the training memos for LE departments in the San Diego area. Has OC become any less risky in my area? Is it still advisable to carry a recorder and be prepared with money set aside for an attorney or are police better trained about this.

My apologies in advance if my questions are better directed somewhere else. I'm reading all I can, but like most of you-- being a law abiding citizen-- my encounters with law enforcement up to this point in my 49 years on this planet have been limited to traffic stops and not potentially adversarial situations. Yet I'm upset that some in law enforcement would like to intimidate us out of exercising rights that the founding fathers meant to be protected.
    1) Judicial interpertation of what private property is, governs whether UOC or LOC is legal on your property. While there is little question that you can CCW, UOC, or LOC inside your home, case law (People v Strider I think) would construe areas of private property that do no limit access as a public area. Specifically- if your property is not fenced and there is no locked gate or other barrier preventing access to your property, LOC, and UOC would not be legal in the 626.9 context.

2) The more contact we have with law enforcement while OC will reduce the risks over time. I would assume that the risk is about the same as other areas of the state where the police have not issued any training bulletin or have no substantial contact with armed citizens.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Thank you so much for the reply. I appreciate it and have been studying and attempting to do due diligence on my part. I don't wish to be lazy and pester members here with questions without trying to find answers. I did read the FAQ that covered private property. I do have a fence around my property. The one area where there is not is a steep slope which is virtually impenetrable due to thick bougenvilla plants. You couldn't access my property without a machete and a spare hour or two. But I have a gate at the top of my driveway that I leave unlocked. So it seems to me if I were careful to close AND LOCK my gate, I could UOC or even LOC on my property?

I've read the forums and from what I've found, if a neighbor saw me UOC in my yard and called police (not likely) and they came to my house I would have to be sure to not set foot off my property or risk arrest. I saw an incident where an officer told someone to come speak to him on the public street and then whammo-- he's arrested. Come to think of it, if I'm in a school zone, if The officer requested I unlock and open my gate, I'd instantly be in violation, would I not?

I live in Lemon Grove which borders San Diego. The San Diego County Sheriffs Department handles patrol out here and I don't know if there officers are up to speed on this stuff. I don't have $5-$10K on hand for legal expenses however. It also seems like there's a business opportunity here for either gun stores or individuals to do OC training classes-- much like dive shops teach scuba. You'd have a day of classroom instruction and on the second day you'd go on a "supervised" OC field trip, if you will. It would be a worthwhile education for newbies like myself and a good business venture. I know many of you have made the point that there's a right/smart way to OC and then the other ways. It would be great if there were such a class/service where the experienced people could school the new folks. I've watched pullnshoot and his brother's video and those were enormously helpful. Imagine if you could have a class where you could do that role play with an instructor so when you do have your first LE contact you are as prepared as you can be?

Any way, thanks for the reply and I will try to do as much learning on my own before pestering with more questions.
    Last edited by RockerFor2A; 09-10-2010 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Fixed iPad related typos!

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by RockerFor2A View Post
    Thank you so much for the reply. I appreciate it and have been studying and attempting to do due dikkigence on my part. I don't wish to be lazy and pester members here with questions without trying to find answers. I did read the FAQ that covered private property. I do have a fence around my property. The one are where there is not is a steep slope which is virtually impenetrable due to thick bougenvilla plants. You couldn't access my property without a machete and a spare hour or two. But I have a gate at the top of my driveway that I leave unlocked. So it seems to me if I were careful to close AND LOCK my gate, I could UOC or even LOC on my property?

I've read the forums and from what I've found, if a neighbor saw me UOC in my yard and called police (not likely) and they came to my house I would have to be sure to not set foot off my property or risk arrest. I saw an incident where an officer told someone to come speak to him on the public street and then whammo-- he's arrested. Come to think of it, if I'm in a school zone, if The officer requested I unlock and open my gate, I'd instantly be in violation, would I not?

I live in Lemon Grove which borders San Diego. The San Diego County Sheriffs Department handles patrol out here and I don't know if there officers are up to speed on this stuff. I don't have $5-$10K on hand for legal expenses however. It also seems like there's a business opportunity here for either gun stores or individuals to do OC training classes-- much like dive shops teach scuba. You'd have a day of classroom instruction and on the second day you'd go on a "supervised" OC field trip, if you will. It would be a worthwhile education for newbies like myself and a good business venture. I know many of you have made the point that there's a right/smart way to OC and then the other ways. It would be great if there were such a class/service where the experienced people could school the new folks. I've watched pullnshoot and his brother's video and those were enormously helpful. Imagine if you could have a class where you could do that role play with an instructor so when you do have your first LE contact you are as prepared as you can be?

Any way, thanks for the reply and I will try to do as much learning on my own before pestering with more questions.
    These classes should really be for LEOs not citizens as the LEOs are the ones who interpret and enforce what they interpret of the law. A citizen could be the smartest person on earth, read CA law and do what they feel is legal by their interpretation and still go to jail because the LEO and judge interpreted the law a different way.
    It feels like a no win situation in CA right now. Even if you spend hours researching your rights and the law, it can be all thrown out the window because a leftist judge and DA feel like sending you to jail.

Please refer to Google Earth. Both the donut shop and the yogurt shop are NOT in GFSZ. About 1/2 the parking lot IS.

Quote Originally Posted by Army View Post
    How could you say that?! Last time they lavished you all with nice, shiny jewelry!
    EDIT: BTW I believe that location is in Sheriff's territory, FWIW.
    Last edited by Mike Hunt; 09-10-2010 at 05:38 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast