• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Back Pocket

Onnie

I agree

ok first stop the "negative feedback" he asked a question, and a good question. he has gotten some good answers. he may be a first time poster that has been looking at this site and finally made the first step to a long journey. we all know that back pocket carry is a bad idea, now he knows it also. yes there has been at least one person who was charged and convicted of this, and some who were let off. IMO you can't be "almost" right when you have a firearm, your 100% right or 100% wrong.

so the AG op says "a pistol in a holster, in plain view is not considered concealed" thats key! now personal opinions on what is "plain view" are out there. IMO make it OBVIOUS its a holstered handgun! any of the good manufacture's of holsters today make at least one type of holster for nearly every handgun imaginable! you should be able to find a really good holster for your type of firearm, and in nearly any kind of carry method you could think up. there are even custom holster makers if you can't find a "stock" holster you like. you should think about a level 2 retention holster. especially if your preferred carry position is behind the hip.

level 1 is generally a "friction" type holster, i.e the tightness of the holster, and snug fit is what holds your life saveing tool inside the holster. some include a "tension" device to adjust said friction.

level 2 is friction plus an added active security device, thumb snap, button of some typ, or lever, or even a certain way to manipulate firearm before a draw can be accomplished.

level 3 is the above plus an additional device of some type, could include anything above, some other things.

the level of retention goes up or down with expected threat type, uniformed cops have a minimum of L2 and lots have L3 cc maybe a level one.

is back pocket carry a viable carry point. IMO it depends on your personal protection plan. only you can decide what that plan entails. but IMO and as you have seen here on OCDO, for open carry it is not a good place to carry a gun. i share this point with many of the OC people here.

you are responseable for you, but when you carry a gun you also represent all gun owners, everyone here is VERY passionate about firearms, and all forms of safe carry and safe firearm handling. emotions run high! as they should! but try to take a step back from emotion. first feel out a new poster, and give him/her they best advice you can.

don't worry if someone dissagrees with your post you will know it!:D

stay safe and carry on!.....safely:)

+1