• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Back Pocket

stephenl9

If I am carrying my pistol in my back pocket, is this considered open carry? How much of the pistol really needs to be visible. For me, the entire grip and sights will be outside of my pocket.

autosurgeon

If I am carrying my pistol in my back pocket, is this considered open carry? How much of the pistol really needs to be visible. For me, the entire grip and sights will be outside of my pocket.

OK two things.

One this might be a grey area as a pocket is not a holster.

Two the lack of security and the gun being in a prime place for a grab would give me the willies!

Therefor IMOP this is all around a bad idea! Invest in a retention holster for 50.00 bucks and be done with it!

B

Bikenut

Open carry is generally considered to be a properly holstered pistol in plain view. To me that concept means gun and holster as a unit are in plain view.

Guns sticking out of pockets... or guns in an inside the pants holster with just part of the gun sticking out are legal gray areas so far. Some could consider the gun concealed because only part of the gun, or the gun/holster unit, is visible and part is hidden... and some could consider that to be half open carry.

Rest assured that if a LEO wanted to consider a gun sticking out of a pocket as concealed he would arrest (if you do not have a CPL) and let you... and your attorney... sort it out in court.

I'll echo Kyleplusitunes sentiment......... just buy a good retention holster and wear gun/holster unit in plain sight in order to save yourself the hassle and cost of becoming a test case.

Plus... like it or not...everyone who open carries, regardless of the reason they do it, is an ambassador for open carry that everyone in the public looks at very carefully. Those who open carry in a less than professional manner make all open carriers look like irresponsible idiots.

Just saw your post above concerning image... good for you Sir!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sefner

There are many reasons as to why this is a bad idea.

OP has only listed one reason as to why it is a good idea: comfort.

Please weigh the disadvantages against the advantage.

That is as politically correct and unassuming as I can be about this.

Last edited:

DanM

Thanks, I do have a retention holster. I simply find it more comfortable this way. I see how it can make for a bad image however..

This goes beyond "bad image". Carrying a pistol in a back pocket is VERY POOR with respect to keeping your weapon secure. There are a variety of retention holsters you can look at to suit your carry and drawing style. Please get and use a retention holster for OC'ing in public.

ghostrider

OK two things.

One this might be a grey area as a pocket is not a holster.

Two the lack of security and the gun being in a prime place for a grab would give me the willies!

Therefor IMOP this is all around a bad idea! Invest in a retention holster for 50.00 bucks and be done with it!

Stu said that there is a case on the appellate level that makes it less of a gray area. I've just haven't found the case yet, but if anyone is interested, it's on MGO.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Comfort is important, but this must be a very small pistol, & the potential for things going awry is very high. There are many very comfortable holsters available some are expensive & others are not. My Glock 26 is very comfortable to carry in a simple $15 nylon (USA made) OWB holster with a custom thumb break installed + $5 total cost $20.

Not having to worry about it slipping out somewhere (ie into crapper as I'm taking my pants down to drop a loaf) PRICELESS. ;)

Bailenforcer

If you ever fall, or have a unscheduled trip that unsecured weapon could go flying who knows where. Been there done that and with a holster so a pocket is a huge safety no no for me. I had to tackle a runner and lost a weapon from a strapped and snapped holster once. Now I only use holsters with a reputation for security when open carry, or concealed.

Thanks, I do have a retention holster. I simply find it more comfortable this way. I see how it can make for a bad image however..

Beerme

Banned
why would you ever want to put it in your back pocket with the grip hanging out...
that screams gun grab or gun snagging and falling out.
has to be the dumbest thing i have heard of for a method of carry.

NHCGRPR45

ok first stop the "negative feedback" he asked a question, and a good question. he has gotten some good answers. he may be a first time poster that has been looking at this site and finally made the first step to a long journey. we all know that back pocket carry is a bad idea, now he knows it also. yes there has been at least one person who was charged and convicted of this, and some who were let off. IMO you can't be "almost" right when you have a firearm, your 100% right or 100% wrong.

so the AG op says "a pistol in a holster, in plain view is not considered concealed" thats key! now personal opinions on what is "plain view" are out there. IMO make it OBVIOUS its a holstered handgun! any of the good manufacture's of holsters today make at least one type of holster for nearly every handgun imaginable! you should be able to find a really good holster for your type of firearm, and in nearly any kind of carry method you could think up. there are even custom holster makers if you can't find a "stock" holster you like. you should think about a level 2 retention holster. especially if your preferred carry position is behind the hip.

level 1 is generally a "friction" type holster, i.e the tightness of the holster, and snug fit is what holds your life saveing tool inside the holster. some include a "tension" device to adjust said friction.

level 2 is friction plus an added active security device, thumb snap, button of some typ, or lever, or even a certain way to manipulate firearm before a draw can be accomplished.

level 3 is the above plus an additional device of some type, could include anything above, some other things.

the level of retention goes up or down with expected threat type, uniformed cops have a minimum of L2 and lots have L3 cc maybe a level one.

is back pocket carry a viable carry point. IMO it depends on your personal protection plan. only you can decide what that plan entails. but IMO and as you have seen here on OCDO, for open carry it is not a good place to carry a gun. i share this point with many of the OC people here.

you are responseable for you, but when you carry a gun you also represent all gun owners, everyone here is VERY passionate about firearms, and all forms of safe carry and safe firearm handling. emotions run high! as they should! but try to take a step back from emotion. first feel out a new poster, and give him/her they best advice you can.

don't worry if someone dissagrees with your post you will know it!:D

stay safe and carry on!.....safely:)

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
ok first stop the "negative feedback" he asked a question, and a good question. he has gotten some good answers. he may be a first time poster that has been looking at this site and finally made the first step to a long journey. we all know that back pocket carry is a bad idea, now he knows it also. yes there has been at least one person who was charged and convicted of this, and some who were let off. IMO you can't be "almost" right when you have a firearm, your 100% right or 100% wrong.

so the AG op says "a pistol in a holster, in plain view is not considered concealed" thats key! now personal opinions on what is "plain view" are out there. IMO make it OBVIOUS its a holstered handgun! any of the good manufacture's of holsters today make at least one type of holster for nearly every handgun imaginable! you should be able to find a really good holster for your type of firearm, and in nearly any kind of carry method you could think up. there are even custom holster makers if you can't find a "stock" holster you like. you should think about a level 2 retention holster. especially if your preferred carry position is behind the hip.

level 1 is generally a "friction" type holster, i.e the tightness of the holster, and snug fit is what holds your life saveing tool inside the holster. some include a "tension" device to adjust said friction.

level 2 is friction plus an added active security device, thumb snap, button of some typ, or lever, or even a certain way to manipulate firearm before a draw can be accomplished.

level 3 is the above plus an additional device of some type, could include anything above, some other things.

the level of retention goes up or down with expected threat type, uniformed cops have a minimum of L2 and lots have L3 cc maybe a level one.

is back pocket carry a viable carry point. IMO it depends on your personal protection plan. only you can decide what that plan entails. but IMO and as you have seen here on OCDO, for open carry it is not a good place to carry a gun. i share this point with many of the OC people here.

you are responseable for you, but when you carry a gun you also represent all gun owners, everyone here is VERY passionate about firearms, and all forms of safe carry and safe firearm handling. emotions run high! as they should! but try to take a step back from emotion. first feel out a new poster, and give him/her they best advice you can.

don't worry if someone dissagrees with your post you will know it!:D

stay safe and carry on!.....safely:)

+1

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior