• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

End of summer BBQ in the 'Ham

skiingislife725

So there still hasn't been a Bellingham meet in...well...I can't remember when. How 'bout a BBQ before the weather turns sour? Boulevard Park this weekend or next weekend? Maybe not this weekend since the weather doesn't look that great.

As of now:
Time: Sunday, Sept. 19th, 4pm
Place: Maritime Heritage Park, downtown Bellingham
BYOB (bring your own beef/beverages)

Last edited:

k.rollin

I think the last attempted big one was when I tried to get a group together for a meet and shoot at North Fork and I wound up having a prior engagement. Count me in for this one.

sudden valley gunner

Me too....although I was hoping to go to Heliotope, maybe the weekend after that.
But the weekend after this one sounds good for a BBQ...how about Maritime Heritage Park Down town, they have BBQ pits and it is well ....down town.

skiingislife725

Awesome. Well unless a certain day works better than another, let's wait a little bit to see what day will be better weather-wise.

And Rob, if you're available Tuesday or Wednesday, I'd love to go hit Heliotrope...supposed to be mostly sunny those days. Though school has started if you're wanting to bring the kids...maybe the non-bbq day instead if it's a good one.

As far as where to have it, the reason I was thinking Boulevard was that it seems like there's more traffic...so we might get more exposure. Doesn't really matter where we have it, but I'd rather have people come up and ask questions then go to a place that isn't as populated. What's everyone else think?

Last edited:

heresolong

I definitely can't ever make Saturday's as I am in my shop those days since school has started :( I am in for a Sunday assuming that nothing else I do conflicts.

sudden valley gunner

Awesome. Well unless a certain day works better than another, let's wait a little bit to see what day will be better weather-wise.

And Rob, if you're available Tuesday or Wednesday, I'd love to go hit Heliotrope...supposed to be mostly sunny those days. Though school has started if you're wanting to bring the kids...maybe the non-bbq day instead if it's a good one.

As far as where to have it, the reason I was thinking Boulevard was that it seems like there's more traffic...so we might get more exposure. Doesn't really matter where we have it, but I'd rather have people come up and ask questions then go to a place that isn't as populated. What's everyone else think?

If I'm done with this job I'm on and the next hasn't started I'll go for the hike although I really wanted to take my kid(s) up there.

I was thinking Heritage because it gets a lot of traffic and is smaller, Boulavard is super large. But anyplace would be good. You guys pick and I'll be there.

I think it was Heresolong that suggested it last year, and after I went and looked and it is a good park. Been thinking about having one there ever since.

k.rollin

Based on the previous posts, it looks like the date will be Sunday the 19th, with time and location to be determined. Seeing as how there is only a week between now and then, we really ought to get those details hashed out.

amzbrady

BYOB (bring your own beef...beer, designated driver, and a gun safe to prevent any impaired judgement, too)

Sound good?[/QUOTE]

BTW what is heliotrope? Is it something for the kids?

k.rollin

BYOB (bring your own beef...beer, designated driver, and a gun safe to prevent any impaired judgement, too)

Sound good?

BTW what is heliotrope? Is it something for the kids?[/QUOTE]

The heliotrope is a kind of flower that is not native to this area. The Heliotrope Ridge trail is a hiking trail near Glacier IIRC, visible from which are native wildflowers that someone likely thought looked like heliotrope flowers.

Wolfebane

I'm game for this, will be my first gun type related meet. I know this may sound strange given this website, but should we be carrying since I'm assuming there will be alcohol (I don't drink so getting wasted is not an issue for me) but I'm just wondering in a general sense, since it's never a good idea to mix firearms and alcohol.

Also since I've never really done a BBQ that wasn't with close friends/family what are the BYO... etiquette rules is it a bring something for yourself cause if you don't you don't eat or is it a bring enough for several people?

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

I'm game for this, will be my first gun type related meet. I know this may sound strange given this website, but should we be carrying since I'm assuming there will be alcohol (I don't drink so getting wasted is not an issue for me) but I'm just wondering in a general sense, since it's never a good idea to mix firearms and alcohol.

Also since I've never really done a BBQ that wasn't with close friends/family what are the BYO... etiquette rules is it a bring something for yourself cause if you don't you don't eat or is it a bring enough for several people?

I go simple bring for yourself and if you want bring extra. Yes this is a carry event most of us will be open carrying, but if you are not comfortable , no worries, even non gun folks are welcome to come it's a good way of educating the public.

heresolong

Since it is a public park I am assuming there won't be alcohol. As far as the mixing of firearms and alcohol, this is a point of contention even among the firearms community. I frequently have a beer with my lunch or a glass of wine with my dinner. I always carry. I do not see the issue. I suspect that you will find that people who routinely carry (law abiding citizens, of course, not gang bangers) are more careful with how much alcohol they ingest when carrying so as not to ever get out of control. However, this is off topic and will probably result in hatred and discontent as the thread goes flying away from the original purpose. :)