Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Toys 'R' Us: Boycott.

Toys 'R' Us: Boycott.

I was in toys r us today, open carrying as usual.

My wife spoke with an employee about a toy, and the employee spoke to her and left.

After she left, my daughter was playing with the toy train display they have, and I was approached by the same employee.

She informed me that they don't allow guns in the store, it is a new policy, and that there was a sign posted on the door.

I responded "Ok, I better go stop my wife from spending money here then."

I picked up my daughter, and approached my wife, and from about 15 ft away told her "Don't buy that, they are anti gun."

Several people were standing at the checkout line and heard me say that. Not sure what they thought.

My wife expressed concern, since we wanted to buy a toy for my daughter, so I assured her (loudly, but not overly so) "Don't worry, we'll buy the same toy from a place that respects our rights."

We left. On the way out I verified that there is a no firearms sign on the door.

As such, I will be writing a letter to toys 'r' us detailing my disappointment in their policy, and asking if it is a national policy or if this local store is acting on it's own. I will also be informing them that I will not be spending money in their stores unless and until they fix their policies.

I ask others to join me until this is resolved.

This is the text of an email I sent to Toys 'R' Us.

To whom it may concern,

Earlier today I was open carrying a firearm in accordance with Utah law in the Orem, Utah Toys 'R' Us store.

I was going to buy a toy for my daughter, but before I was able to, I was informed by an employee that I could not have my firearm in the store. I was further informed there is a sign to that effect on the front door of the store.

I replied that I would leave, and not spend any money there. I put the toy back and left.

I went to a local Wal-Mart and bought the exact same toy there, despite the slightly higher price.

I am a concealed carry permit holder, and carry a firearm for defense of myself and my family.

I would like to inquire if this is a corporate policy, or if this might be an individual store doing it's own thing.

Pending your response, I will not be spending any money in any Toys 'R' Us stores, or Babies 'R' Us stores.

I will also being asking members of www.utahconcealedcarry.com and www.opencarry.org as well as everyone with whom I regularly associate with, to join me in such a boycott.

I would appreciate a timely reply on this matter.

Sincerly,

Thx

Founder's Club Member
    Hey, THX997303,

Hows about cleaning out your PM boxes so the rest of us can send you a PM from time to time.

There is a 1K message limit. Last time I tried to PM you, I got a message back that you were over the limit for Sent and Received messages still being saved in your boxes.

With the software for this forum, it is much much easier to clean out old messages.

So, get rid of the clutter so the rest of us can send you impolite messages.

I only have 411 pms right now.

How new is 'new'? There was a shootout inside a Toys R Us store in California(go figure) during the last black Friday sale. I wouldn't be surprised if this policy was in response to that. That is assuming it's a real, nationwide policy and not something this employee pulled out of her ass. If so, might not be easy to get them to recant.

Banned
    Sent them a message via their "Contact Us" link at their website.

The employee didn't pull it out of her ass, as there is indeed a sign on the door.

She did not however, claim it was a nationwide policy.

We will see how Toys'R'Us responds.
    Last edited by thx997303; 09-10-2010 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thx997303 View Post
    I went to a local Wal-Mart and bought the exact same toy there, despite the slightly higher price.
    You found the same item at Wal-Mart, and they charged you more? That's almost as bad as banning guns from the store.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

I have sent an email off to corporate asking them for a copy of the company's firearms policy, and have told them that if it is corporate policy to ban guns from the stores then they have lost my families business.
    If you do not test yourself every single day,
    then it is just another wasted day.
    --Semper Fi--

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jensen View Post
    You found the same item at Wal-Mart, and they charged you more? That's almost as bad as banning guns from the store.
    Meh, it was only 50 cents more, and I thought the fact that I was willing to pay more for an identical item would hold some weight with Toys 'R' Us.

Keep the e-mails flowing guys. Hopefully this will be another corporation corrected.

The employee didn't pull it out of her ass, as there is indeed a sign on the door.

She did not however, claim it was a nationwide policy.

We will see how Toys'R'Us responds.
    Yeah, I noticed yesterday that atleast two stores in two different states are posted. Interestingly enough, corporate has claimed that their policy is "follow what the law allows."

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...Us-NO-FIREARMS

Here's the TRU website contact form: http://www4.toysrus.com/guest/contUs.cfm
    Might also try email: contactus@toysrus.com

And the message I sent:
    I have heard that the TRU store in Orem, Utah is denying entrance & service to law-abiding people who carry a firearm for self-protection. Please send me a copy of the corporate policy covering customers and their civil rights while visiting your stores, so that it may be posted to opencarry.org and various other firearms-related communities. If you don't want our business, we'll be happy to comply. (But be aware that criminals don't pay attention to signs.)

Bear in mind, though, that you're breaking Federal law by denying customers based on their exercise of civil rights. (See http://www.justice.gov/crt/crim/241fin.php "If two or more persons conspire to injure, oppress, threaten, or intimidate any person in any State... in the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege secured to him by the Constitution or laws of the United States, or because of his having so exercised the same; ... They shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.")
    Last edited by MKEgal; 09-10-2010 at 01:47 PM.

Banned
    As hard as I would fight for the RKBA, I would also fight for Toys R Us's property rights, which include determining what activities they will allow on their property.

Barring case law supporting your assertion as to the meaning of the civil rights law you cited, I'll have to say that you are incorrect in your accusation that Toys R Us is breaking the law.

Should someone attempt to bring such a case, I'd have to side with Toys R Us. They have the absolute right to bar firearms. I just don't (and encourage others not to) do business with places that won't allow carry.

The Irony of Liberty is that we don't always get what we want.

I agree 100% with your post eye95.

If they choose to ban firearms despite a boycott, then that is their choice and I will support that choice by not buying anything from their stores.

Founder's Club Member PrayingForWar's Avatar
    I agree 100% with your post eye95.

If they choose to ban firearms despite a boycott, then that is their choice and I will support that choice by not buying anything from their stores.
    Ditto. I'll save the money and buy my kid a gun when she gets older.
    If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training. You will become a minister of death, PRAYING FOR WAR...

I just got off the phone with Mike, a manager at the Orem TRU location.

According to Mike, the no guns policy is a new policy that was enacted as little as 2 weeks ago. That is when they received their sign and instructions to post it.

The new policy is from corporate.

Mike expressed that he doesn't like the policy, and will e-mail the district manager on my behalf, and will notify me of the response.

It appears we have support even within TRU itself.

Banned
    Good work.

Now that I'm a stay at home dad, I have all kinds of time on my hands for these sorts of endeavors. ;P

Where are the smilies hidden? I can't seem to find em.

Now that I'm a stay at home dad, I have all kinds of time on my hands for these sorts of endeavors. ;P

Where are the smilies hidden? I can't seem to find em.
    You have to do an advanced reply rather than using the quick reply. But the smilies offered here are quite limited.

I just got off the phone with Mike, a manager at the Orem TRU location.

According to Mike, the no guns policy is a new policy that was enacted as little as 2 weeks ago. That is when they received their sign and instructions to post it.

The new policy is from corporate.

Mike expressed that he doesn't like the policy, and will e-mail the district manager on my behalf, and will notify me of the response.

It appears we have support even within TRU itself.
    Thanks for the footwork and quick update. Now I regret setting up a baby registry at Babies-R-Us - too late to change it now though...

Banned
    You can return every one of the gifts purchased at Babies R Us and spend the refund to purchase the same or equivalent product elsewhere.

Very good idea eye95. That is the action I would take.

I got a response from TRU. Below is the text of the response.

Response (Richard Latner) - 09/10/2010 02:11 PM
    Dear Mr. McDonald,

I have included a copy of the Corporate Policy Regarding Firearms in Stores:

General Company Policy on Firearms

• At Toys“R”Us, Inc., the safety and security of our customers and our employees is, and always has been, our highest priority.

• As a retailer that welcomes millions of kids and families into our stores across the country each year, we take our responsibility to create only the safest shopping environment very seriously.

• While we respect citizens’ rights to carry firearms in public areas according to certain state laws, our company policy prohibits customers from doing so in any of our stores out of an abundance of caution for the safety and protection of the children and families shopping with us.

• We make our customers aware of this policy by posting signs at the front of each of our Toys“R”Us and Babies“R”Us stores nationwide.

• It is also our policy not to sell any toy gun that could be mistaken for a real gun. Toys“R”Us was the first retailer in the U.S. to adopt this policy, which was established in 1994.

I hope this answers your questions for you and you continue to shop with Toys "R" Us. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Rich Latner
    Corporate Guest Relations

Banned
    I hope we can encourage them to change this policy. It is not the customers who lawfully carry about whom they need to worry.

They should be concerned with those willing to violate the law and carry illegally and, therefore, concealed. Their silly little sign won't stop those guys. However, one or two of us might keep those guys in check.

Stupid policy. Anyway I won't be shopping there unless they change the policy.

Here is my response to Mr. Latner.

"Mr. Latner,

There are several flaws in the reasoning behind this policy.

Perhaps you recall hearing about the Trolley Square shooting in Salt Lake City Utah.

Trolley Square was, and still is a posted "gun free zone" This failed to stop the shooter.

Perhaps you recall the Columbine shooting.

Per federal law, schools are gun free zones, this once again failed to stop the shooters.

What your corporation is creating is a "victim disarmament zone"

I refuse to shop anywhere that so ignorantly creates such a zone.

I have and will continue posting this information in various locations, and am calling for a nationwide boycott of Toys 'R' Us and Babies 'R' Us stores.

Here are links to the discussions I have posted on various gun related forums. As you will soon see, there is support for this boycott.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=92947

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...s-R-Us-Boycott.

http://www.utahconcealedcarry.com/vi...hp?f=12&t=9505

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=543355

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/rkba-ne...s-boycott.html

You can rest assured that more forums will be notified of your policy and the boycott. These are merely the posts I have had time to post since the incident yesterday evening.

In this economy, it appears to be a horrible idea to alienate ANY customers at all.

Blockbuster is a fine example of the backlash such signs create.

I sincerely hope this matter can be resolved.

Sincerely,

Thx."

Banned
    I would encourage folks who belong to various State forums promote the boycott there. Could someone post it on the Alabama forum: AlabamaOpenCarry.com ?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast