• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Toys 'R' Us: Boycott.

thx997303

I was in toys r us today, open carrying as usual.

My wife spoke with an employee about a toy, and the employee spoke to her and left.

After she left, my daughter was playing with the toy train display they have, and I was approached by the same employee.

She informed me that they don't allow guns in the store, it is a new policy, and that there was a sign posted on the door.

I responded "Ok, I better go stop my wife from spending money here then."

I picked up my daughter, and approached my wife, and from about 15 ft away told her "Don't buy that, they are anti gun."

Several people were standing at the checkout line and heard me say that. Not sure what they thought.

My wife expressed concern, since we wanted to buy a toy for my daughter, so I assured her (loudly, but not overly so) "Don't worry, we'll buy the same toy from a place that respects our rights."

We left. On the way out I verified that there is a no firearms sign on the door.

As such, I will be writing a letter to toys 'r' us detailing my disappointment in their policy, and asking if it is a national policy or if this local store is acting on it's own. I will also be informing them that I will not be spending money in their stores unless and until they fix their policies.

I ask others to join me until this is resolved.

sign.jpg

thx997303

This is the text of an email I sent to Toys 'R' Us.

To whom it may concern,

Earlier today I was open carrying a firearm in accordance with Utah law in the Orem, Utah Toys 'R' Us store.

I was going to buy a toy for my daughter, but before I was able to, I was informed by an employee that I could not have my firearm in the store. I was further informed there is a sign to that effect on the front door of the store.

I replied that I would leave, and not spend any money there. I put the toy back and left.

I went to a local Wal-Mart and bought the exact same toy there, despite the slightly higher price.

I am a concealed carry permit holder, and carry a firearm for defense of myself and my family.

I would like to inquire if this is a corporate policy, or if this might be an individual store doing it's own thing.

Pending your response, I will not be spending any money in any Toys 'R' Us stores, or Babies 'R' Us stores.

I will also being asking members of www.utahconcealedcarry.com and www.opencarry.org as well as everyone with whom I regularly associate with, to join me in such a boycott.

I would appreciate a timely reply on this matter.

Sincerly,

Thx

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Hey, THX997303,

Hows about cleaning out your PM boxes so the rest of us can send you a PM from time to time.

There is a 1K message limit. Last time I tried to PM you, I got a message back that you were over the limit for Sent and Received messages still being saved in your boxes.

With the software for this forum, it is much much easier to clean out old messages.

So, get rid of the clutter so the rest of us can send you impolite messages. :D

Jack House

How new is 'new'? There was a shootout inside a Toys R Us store in California(go figure) during the last black Friday sale. I wouldn't be surprised if this policy was in response to that. That is assuming it's a real, nationwide policy and not something this employee pulled out of her ass. If so, might not be easy to get them to recant.

thx997303

The employee didn't pull it out of her ass, as there is indeed a sign on the door.

She did not however, claim it was a nationwide policy.

We will see how Toys'R'Us responds.

Last edited:

MatieA

I have sent an email off to corporate asking them for a copy of the company's firearms policy, and have told them that if it is corporate policy to ban guns from the stores then they have lost my families business.

thx997303

You found the same item at Wal-Mart, and they charged you more? That's almost as bad as banning guns from the store. ;)

Meh, it was only 50 cents more, and I thought the fact that I was willing to pay more for an identical item would hold some weight with Toys 'R' Us.

Keep the e-mails flowing guys. Hopefully this will be another corporation corrected.

Jack House

MKEgal

Here's the TRU website contact form: http://www4.toysrus.com/guest/contUs.cfm
Might also try email: contactus@toysrus.com

And the message I sent:
I have heard that the TRU store in Orem, Utah is denying entrance & service to law-abiding people who carry a firearm for self-protection. Please send me a copy of the corporate policy covering customers and their civil rights while visiting your stores, so that it may be posted to opencarry.org and various other firearms-related communities. If you don't want our business, we'll be happy to comply. (But be aware that criminals don't pay attention to signs.)

Bear in mind, though, that you're breaking Federal law by denying customers based on their exercise of civil rights. (See http://www.justice.gov/crt/crim/241fin.php "If two or more persons conspire to injure, oppress, threaten, or intimidate any person in any State... in the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege secured to him by the Constitution or laws of the United States, or because of his having so exercised the same; ... They shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.")

Last edited:

eye95

As hard as I would fight for the RKBA, I would also fight for Toys R Us's property rights, which include determining what activities they will allow on their property.

Barring case law supporting your assertion as to the meaning of the civil rights law you cited, I'll have to say that you are incorrect in your accusation that Toys R Us is breaking the law.

Should someone attempt to bring such a case, I'd have to side with Toys R Us. They have the absolute right to bar firearms. I just don't (and encourage others not to) do business with places that won't allow carry.

The Irony of Liberty is that we don't always get what we want.

thx997303

I agree 100% with your post eye95.

If they choose to ban firearms despite a boycott, then that is their choice and I will support that choice by not buying anything from their stores.

thx997303

I just got off the phone with Mike, a manager at the Orem TRU location.

According to Mike, the no guns policy is a new policy that was enacted as little as 2 weeks ago. That is when they received their sign and instructions to post it.

The new policy is from corporate.

Mike expressed that he doesn't like the policy, and will e-mail the district manager on my behalf, and will notify me of the response.

It appears we have support even within TRU itself.

thx997303

Now that I'm a stay at home dad, I have all kinds of time on my hands for these sorts of endeavors. ;P

Where are the smilies hidden? I can't seem to find em.

Jack House

Now that I'm a stay at home dad, I have all kinds of time on my hands for these sorts of endeavors. ;P

Where are the smilies hidden? I can't seem to find em.
You have to do an advanced reply rather than using the quick reply. But the smilies offered here are quite limited.

4angrybadgers

I just got off the phone with Mike, a manager at the Orem TRU location.

According to Mike, the no guns policy is a new policy that was enacted as little as 2 weeks ago. That is when they received their sign and instructions to post it.

The new policy is from corporate.

Mike expressed that he doesn't like the policy, and will e-mail the district manager on my behalf, and will notify me of the response.

It appears we have support even within TRU itself.
Thanks for the footwork and quick update. Now I regret setting up a baby registry at Babies-R-Us - too late to change it now though... :(