• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

9/8/10 OC @ Apartment complex when ...

Deleted_User

So I'm in my apartment, occasionally going outside OC to chat with neighbors. It got late so I came inside. I keep my paddle holster and my 9mm on my desk. My son comes out to the living room.

"Daddy, someone is in my window."

I grab my holster and head to his room. He's filling me in as I go.

"I pulled up the shade and saw a face. As i was coming to get you they ran left."

I grabbed my cell, wallet, belt, shoes, holster, 9mm, and a flashlight and headed outside. I immediately give my son the silent all clear to close his window. He gives me a description of early 20's, white male, wearing a dark brown / black hoodie. I walk to the edge of the building. Peering around, there is a shadow coming around the next corner of the building. I dip back around and simply make sure I'm not on safe. As I return around the corner the person is gone. I made a decision to go back inside as I lost sight and didn't know if they were inside. After clearing the house, I called 911 and after informing the dispatcher I was armed, awaited the arrival of an LEO.

He was startled by my holster but I was nowhere near it during our chat. He looked around for about 2 minutes and left. Geez, I could've done that. It seems we have a transient living just off the property as I found a tent and some "belongings" this afternoon.

Heck of a start for me last night, but I am glad everyone is safe. We live to pay taxes for another day.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
You made a huge mistake there, Goose. You went OUTSIDE of your home and SEARCHED for a target. If you'd ended up in a shooting situation it would have been your @$$.

Next time you should just get the family to safe area of the house, make sure they're safe and call 911. If anyone comes INTO the house, THEN you can shoot them if they pose a threat.

Last edited:

jt59

You made a huge mistake there, Goose. You went OUTSIDE of your home and SEARCHED for a target. If you'd ended up in a shooting situation it would have been your @$$.

Next time you should just get the family to safe area of the house, make sure they're safe and call 911. If anyone comes INTO the house, THEN you can shoot them if they pose a threat.

+1 on chasing anyone around the yard....this sounds a little like Spokane with a different ending....

Goose, If you're still concerned, you might consider a some perimeter protection that is a little further out than your front door (or window) in this case.

The fair (Puyallup) is opening this weekend. We talked to a guy there last year that had a security company, but was peddling a wireless system with motion detectors (body mass above 50lbs for wild things)....he made a good case to extend your perimeter to be alerted before you have the face in the window....pretty inexpensive too. I'm looking forward to visiting him again this year...maybe to buy...We're alarmed (meaning a system), but the extra time would be good if needed.

Last edited:

Lovenox

Yup , good point.

skiingislife725

+1 on the lesson of not going outside if you don't have to...that's a good way to get cracked or shot in the back of the head.

Also, leaving the house could have allowed the person to get into your house with your son still in it (I presume he was still inside). Bad news right there. And then because of leaving the house, you had to clear your house...which is a dismal prospect at best when you're a one-man operation.

Glad it turned out ok though! Good to hear these stories and learn from them.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
So I'm in my apartment, occasionally going outside OC to chat with neighbors. It got late so I came inside. I keep my paddle holster and my 9mm on my desk. My son comes out to the living room.

"Daddy, someone is in my window."

I grab my holster and head to his room. He's filling me in as I go.

"I pulled up the shade and saw a face. As i was coming to get you they ran left."

I grabbed my cell, wallet, belt, shoes, holster, 9mm, and a flashlight and headed outside. I immediately give my son the silent all clear to close his window. He gives me a description of early 20's, white male, wearing a dark brown / black hoodie. I walk to the edge of the building. Peering around, there is a shadow coming around the next corner of the building. I dip back around and simply make sure I'm not on safe. As I return around the corner the person is gone. I made a decision to go back inside as I lost sight and didn't know if they were inside. After clearing the house, I called 911 and after informing the dispatcher I was armed, awaited the arrival of an LEO.

Goose I would like to bring up some points that you should consider, it is not to belittle but to offer constructive views.

I first notice the comment "I keep my paddle holster and my 9mm on my desk." this I feel is dangerous as you have children in your home, it needs to be out of reach (climbing reach also) of them so they cannot access it do to curiosity or even play. We all feel we have taught our children not to touch but do we leave it to hope we taught them well enough, I support teach them not to but to take actions to not allow access with out a proper setting and safety.

As others have noted in your statement "I walk to the edge of the building" seeking out a target could place or will likely place you in a bad position, after all we choose to arm ourselves for our protection, It seems a higher degree of importance is keeping you and your family safe in the home.

This statement "didn't know if they were inside" is of greater concern, you left your child in the home unprotected and then after running around looking for a perpetrator when it could have been in your home!

We look into our responsibilities of self defense, and sometimes they are blurred as to where the Civilian and Police responsibilities lay, we as Civilians do so to protect us and ours of imminent threat of life or limb, while Police are to Serve and Protect which relates to investigative and sometimes a proactive responses.

Goose I am glad you posted this as this is how we learn and progress by bringing issues as this up.

jt59

+1 on the lesson of not going outside if you don't have to...that's a good way to get cracked or shot in the back of the head.

Also, leaving the house could have allowed the person to get into your house with your son still in it (I presume he was still inside). Bad news right there. And then because of leaving the house, you had to clear your house...which is a dismal prospect at best when you're a one-man operation.

Glad it turned out ok though! Good to hear these stories and learn from them.

.......and one should always consider the likelyhood of more than one BG in the deal....robbers vs peepers, you just don't know.

Deleted_User

FIRST OFF: I posted openly on this site for opinions and they are WELCOMED! I made a mistake and see it now, and am glad people are alive now tha tI see what the outcome could've been. A few update points.

1) Inside my home were my son, wife, and daughter. As I left (apartment btw, I say home, but it's an apartment complex) all doors and windows were locked. I cleared the house mainly out of habit and just in case. I see the error of leaving the residence. BAD move on my part. Thanks for that, truly. No malice meant and I look forward to discussing it if anyone is in Federal Way tomorrow. I can take a brow beating. It's how I'll learn.

2) My holster and 9mm are on my desk when I am there (which is often) but if I go to the bathroom, kitchen, bedroom, or anything, it goes with me. If I'm not in my usual house attire of shorts, it's on my right hip. They (the kids) are NEVER alone with it. My kids are 13 and 11 and my son knows but I forbid him to touch it until I start taking him to a range for proper instruction. I am never out of the room she is in unless she is in the gun safe.

3) As others have noted in your statement "I walk to the edge of the building" seeking out a target could place or will likely place you in a bad position, after all we choose to arm ourselves for our protection, It seems a higher degree of importance is keeping you and your family safe in the home.

(I don't really need to add anything to that. It speaks for itself.)

Thanks for the objective opinions. It really, now, made no sense for me to go out. It was a hesitant reaction that could've cost a life. I count myself lucky.

jt59

Don't feel bad....I'll tell you a whopper on myself tomorrow at the meet....it will make you feel much better.

It starts like this....HONEY, (shake, shake)...someone just flashed a light in my eyes...Huh?, it's nothing, go back to sleep.......HONEY, (PUNCH, SLAP)...get up! There's someone downstairs in the living room.......

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Some suggestions...

I have left the house after a suspicious noise, movement, person, etc...

When I do, a coat goes on and I am concealed. However, in your instance I would of probably hunkered down and called 911 as you described a suspect.

At the tender age of 2 I started with my two daughters about firearms. Until they were 10 it was don't touch, go tell an adulty. At 10 they began to handle both semi's and revolvers. (My wife and I both carry daily) A firearm has never been a mystery to them and I have never told them since that early age to not touch it. I suggest you sit around tonight and unload a handgun in their presence and give them a 30 minute talk on safety and how handguns work. Better you now then at a friends house with no adult around. Also, have them take this course http://www.mdgunsafety.com/ My daughters now can handle firearms and have no issues with them whatsoever.

FIRST OFF: I posted openly on this site for opinions and they are WELCOMED! I made a mistake and see it now, and am glad people are alive now tha tI see what the outcome could've been. A few update points.

1) Inside my home were my son, wife, and daughter. As I left (apartment btw, I say home, but it's an apartment complex) all doors and windows were locked. I cleared the house mainly out of habit and just in case. I see the error of leaving the residence. BAD move on my part. Thanks for that, truly. No malice meant and I look forward to discussing it if anyone is in Federal Way tomorrow. I can take a brow beating. It's how I'll learn.

2) My holster and 9mm are on my desk when I am there (which is often) but if I go to the bathroom, kitchen, bedroom, or anything, it goes with me. If I'm not in my usual house attire of shorts, it's on my right hip. They (the kids) are NEVER alone with it. My kids are 13 and 11 and my son knows but I forbid him to touch it until I start taking him to a range for proper instruction. I am never out of the room she is in unless she is in the gun safe.

3) As others have noted in your statement "I walk to the edge of the building" seeking out a target could place or will likely place you in a bad position, after all we choose to arm ourselves for our protection, It seems a higher degree of importance is keeping you and your family safe in the home.

(I don't really need to add anything to that. It speaks for itself.)

Thanks for the objective opinions. It really, now, made no sense for me to go out. It was a hesitant reaction that could've cost a life. I count myself lucky.

Deleted_User

My son has handled it, unloaded it, cleared it, and even knows how to field strip it. It's not something I allow him to do a lot as he's never fired it yet. My daughter is afraid of it when I'm not handling it. This is something I am working on. I know why this is and can discuss it off forum.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
My son has handled it, unloaded it, cleared it, and even knows how to field strip it. It's not something I allow him to do a lot as he's never fired it yet. My daughter is afraid of it when I'm not handling it. This is something I am working on. I know why this is and can discuss it off forum.

We can talk tomorrow at Starbucks. My daughters are good teachers.

sudden valley gunner

I don't live in an apartment and I see nothing wrong with investigating intruders or noies onto your property. I know my property well, though and know how to get around with out being seen.

ghosthunter

I think more than a few of us would go out and look around. I too own my home and have made many night look arounds. May not be smart but, if someone is looking in my windows I am going to check it out.

A year ago my wife was up late and came running in the bedroom to get me because someone was turning the locked door nob. I armed up and checked it out. Sure their could be more than one. And maybe you stop a guy from burning your house down. It is a decision everyone has to make on their own.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Anytime someone seeks to find a threat you expose yourself to more dangers as to being seen first and attacked to the incident of being shot by law enforcement because one maybe to full of himself playing Spiderman that can get himself killed and then who is protecting the family?

Secure yourself and family and call 911 unless there is an immediate threat to life and limb (that is not going out running around like a fool)

After all isn't it at the end of the day you want yourself and family safe and sound?

Genken

While I was on leave in Texas, I would always make my nightly rounds around the house(smoke my last cigarette for the night, check the alley, back yard, then make sure everything was locked up tight). I only did this because of where she's living, with drug dealers, gang members, and even one night someone breaking into her back yard to smoke weed. She called the cops on that one(I was up here at the time). So yeah, I at least made sure nothing was going on around the house(outer perimeter) before I secured the inner perimeter.

I imagine when I PCS to Ft. Bliss I will be doing the same(El Paso/Juarez don't seem so great), Unless I'm living on post. Then I'll just make sure the house is secure.

Deleted_User

Anytime someone seeks to find a threat you expose yourself to more dangers as to being seen first and attacked to the incident of being shot by law enforcement because one maybe to full of himself playing Spiderman that can get himself killed and then who is protecting the family?

Secure yourself and family and call 911 unless there is an immediate threat to life and limb (that is not going out running around like a fool)

After all isn't it at the end of the day you want yourself and family safe and sound?

It took an LEO 15 minutes to arrive. If anything had been happening, I'd have needed 4 more magazines and a grenade. But, that's for another thread :p

At the end of the day, I want the family safe and no one peeping in on my 11 yr old daughter changing. I personally have pondered an electric screen :)

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
It took an LEO 15 minutes to arrive. If anything had been happening, I'd have needed 4 more magazines and a grenade. But, that's for another thread :p

At the end of the day, I want the family safe and no one peeping in on my 11 yr old daughter changing. I personally have pondered an electric screen :)

No disagreement there, I would tend to look trap doors under the window :banana:touch the screen down they go....