• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is it just me?

amzbrady

I deal with a certain bit of paranoia occasionally, and was wondering if it is just me or if some of you others feel like this also? I thought about this again today after stopping at a rest stop on the way to Bellingham. I got this real uneasy feeling as I stood at the urinal with Mr. Winky in full stream as three guys walked in and stood there waiting, cause all the stalls and stands were full. I dont like having my back to people with my junk in my hand (I'm getting older and it's not as easy just to stop and continue later). I think there should be mirrors up at eye level so you can see whats behind you or coming at you. Just thought I'd throw that out, maybe it's just me...and yes I do use the stalls when they are available. Rest stops and Wal-mart's just seem to not be my happy place's.

skiingislife725

lol always wanted those as a kid!

But anyways, I'm definitely on the alert when I'm at the stall too. I'll usually take the farthest one away from the door, so at least I've got a bit of reaction time. Could always use the sh**ter too...though I haven't ever done it myself. Definitely safer.

amlevin

One good reason for a shoulder holster. The gun's already pointed back, just clear the holster enough to access the trigger.

As for "stopping" that would be the last thing on my mind. Just turn around and hose down their legs/shoes. Should provide enough distraction to allow you to employ other defensive methods. You could also practice holding your pistol in your right hand and your other "weapon" in your left. If attacked you could merely wheel around and let them have it with both.

knight_308

LOL @ Thread.

In a related question, what do you guys do with your gun when you have to squat? I mean, lots of places don't have a shelf / suitable toilet paper holder / or back on the toilet to rest it. I don't want to leave it just flopping in the urine and who knows what else on the ground.

The best I can come up with, if all else fails, is to use the handicapped stall and wedge the gun and holster between the grab bar and the wall. It's reasonably clean and secure.

sirpuma

I'm right there too. In that situation I ease my strong side elbow over my sidearm and use my left hand for business. Then I do my best to pay attention over my shoulder without actually looking. I seek out the reflections in the wall tiles and plumbing. My awareness level severely jumps. I listen to conversations and foot steps. I focus more on where people are and what their tone of voice is saying. I mentally prepare myself for having to suddenly defend myself.

amzbrady

LOL @ Thread.

In a related question, what do you guys do with your gun when you have to squat? I mean, lots of places don't have a shelf / suitable toilet paper holder / or back on the toilet to rest it. I don't want to leave it just flopping in the urine and who knows what else on the ground.

The best I can come up with, if all else fails, is to use the handicapped stall and wedge the gun and holster between the grab bar and the wall. It's reasonably clean and secure.

I put my pistol right in my underwear, while sitting on the porcelan god, playing bombs over Tokyo. Cant ever forget your weapon in a stall that way, and hard to pull your pants up with it there, after all there not enough room for two barrels.

B

Bikenut

Had an off duty cop wait until I went into the A&W's bathroom before coming in to wash his hands and, after stating he knew open carry was legal, starting to ask questions about about whether or not I had a carry permit, how did I get to the A&W, where did I come from.

There I stood with my normally concealed shortarm in hand trying to verbally deflect a devious cop hoping to find me in violation of something or other just because he noticed my normally openly carried sidearm.

And he was devious because I'm sure he knew recording a conversation in a bathroom... with other users present... would be illegal unless I got permission from everyone in there, including him, so he knew there wouldn't be a record of the conversation admissible in court. And the leading questions were intentional. But when I didn't answer his questions but started asking him if he was "fishing" with his questions .... he suddenly decided to leave the bathroom.

And I also get hyper alert when my back is to strangers whether draining my shortarm or just sitting in a restaurant... or anywhere really.

For those occasions requiring the use of a stall..... There is always a paper dispenser to set the gun on... even just the roll works... if there is a roll... if there isn't a roll of paper there is a different, somewhat messy, problem.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
If caught in this situation at the urinal just turn around and pee on their shoes, they will back off :lol:

On a serious note, it is a concern I feel many of us have and right fully so, having a level 2 retention holster should help or just waiting for a stall to open up.

Bob Warden

And he was devious because I'm sure he knew recording a conversation in a bathroom... with other users present... would be illegal unless I got permission from everyone in there, including him, so he knew there wouldn't be a record of the conversation admissible in court. And the leading questions were intentional. But when I didn't answer his questions but started asking him if he was "fishing" with his questions .... he suddenly decided to leave the bathroom.
You could legally record in the bathroom when being questioned by a cop. He is conducting official business, and there is no longer an expectation of privacy.

amzbrady

I need to get a different holster, mine is a bladetech, with two screws that put pressure on the trigger gaurd. Thats the only thing that holds my firearm in the holster. I dont like that in itself, but not many holsters fit my firearm.

TechnoWeenie

You could legally record in the bathroom when being questioned by a cop. He is conducting official business, and there is no longer an expectation of privacy.

OMFG, STOP.

That is NOT true.

For the eleventy billionth time, point to ONE case that says anything close to that. You will NOT find it.

The WA case involving that, had to do with an officer IN PUBLIC. The ruling merely reaffirmed that there is no expectation of privacy on a public street, where the recording took place. The officers THEMSELVES testified that they didn't think their actions/speech were private at the time. There IS an expectation of privacy in a bathroom, although one could argue that there is not one in the common areas of the bathroom, there definitely would be one in a stall...

Stop with the whole 'He's on official business so I can do what I want' crap... It's gonna get people arrested..

Bob Warden

OMFG, STOP.

That is NOT true.

For the eleventy billionth time, point to ONE case that says anything close to that. You will NOT find it.

The WA case involving that, had to do with an officer IN PUBLIC. The ruling merely reaffirmed that there is no expectation of privacy on a public street, where the recording took place. The officers THEMSELVES testified that they didn't think their actions/speech were private at the time. There IS an expectation of privacy in a bathroom, although one could argue that there is not one in the common areas of the bathroom, there definitely would be one in a stall...

Stop with the whole 'He's on official business so I can do what I want' crap... It's gonna get people arrested..
I don't care enough to argue with you, but I personally would have no problem recording. Do what you want. Suffice to say, though, that if public restrooms were no-holds-barred audio-recording-free interrogation zones, then cops would routinely force people into already-occupied restrooms to interrogate them. (That's called reductio ad absurdum, for those keeping score at home.)

What I would really do, though, is simply ask the cop if I was under arrest. Assuming the answer is negative, I would decline to answer any questions, especially while peeing!

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

I take my handgun out of the holster and place it, safety on, in the toilet seat cover thingy. It fits perfect LOL! Before I leave i always look at my holster to make sure I put my sidearm back in it. My worse fear is forgetting my sidearm in the toilet seat cover bin:banghead:

I stopped leaving my sidearm in the holster...I was in Wholefoods ladies restroom a couple of years ago. I decided to leave my semi-S&W Sigma in the holster, lost hold of my pants, and my sidearm fell out of the holster...there were people in each stall beside me. i said, "sorry about that." No one said anything.

jt59

I take my handgun out of the holster and place it, safety on, in the toilet seat cover thingy. It fits perfect LOL! Before I leave i always look at my holster to make sure I put my sidearm back in it. My worse fear is forgetting my sidearm in the toilet seat cover bin:banghead:

I stopped leaving my sidearm in the holster...I was in Wholefoods ladies restroom a couple of years ago. I decided to leave my semi-S&W Sigma in the holster, lost hold of my pants, and my sidearm fell out of the holster...there were people in each stall beside me. i said, "sorry about that." No one said anything.

I hate when that happens:lol:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I agree with Bob.

Simply ask him on tape "are you on duty conducting official business in this public bathroom?"

OMFG, STOP.

That is NOT true.

At the point I have asked the question above, unless the officer lies, he will affirm the fact that he is conducting official police business in public.

I don't care enough to argue with you, but I personally would have no problem recording. Do what you want. Suffice to say, though, that if public restrooms were no-holds-barred audio-recording-free interrogation zones, then cops would routinely force people into already-occupied restrooms to interrogate them. (That's called reductio ad absurdum, for those keeping score at home.)

What I would really do, though, is simply ask the cop if I was under arrest. Assuming the answer is negative, I would decline to answer any questions, especially while peeing!