• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Parable of the Sheep

since9

Campaign Veteran
Oh, this story is so flawed!

"In the morning, the armed sheep spoke to the flock..."

WHAT flock?

1,000,000 years ago our ancestors would have gone after the wolves in droves, armed with spears.

Ah-huh, uh... so what's changed? Perhaps our level of technology?

So what?

XDSTEEL

duh?

OK i really don't see what you mean. It really has nothing to do about tech and more about the acceptance of weapons. Flock is the correct term when using it with sheep.

The Expert

I remember reading this the first time a few years ago. Bookmarked it then and always thought it was an exceptinally simple explanation that brings the issue into focus for those who take an "anti" stance simply because of ignorance and fear (i.e. most of the non-carrying public).

since9

Campaign Veteran
OK i really don't see what you mean. It really has nothing to do about tech and more about the acceptance of weapons.

Wolves weren't domesticated into dogs until around 15,000 years ago. My point was that we humans have been successful at defending ourselves against the wild and one another, using weapons, for a few hundred thousand years before that. I am as surprised as most of us are that some people think disarming ourselves is the way to go.

Flock is the correct term when using it with sheep.

You are correct, and the folks who follow the anti-gunners are flocks of indeed mindless sheeple.

Last edited:

Jack House

Wolves weren't domesticated into dogs until around 15,000 years ago. My point was that we humans have been successful at defending ourselves against the wild and one another, using weapons, for a few hundred thousand years before that. I am as surprised as most of us are that some people think disarming ourselves is the way to go.
www.dictionary.com

Daylen

I don't like the parable. I'm not sheep, not even armed sheep, I'm not a sheep dog, I'd rather be put in with the wolf, but I'm not a criminal. Why I refuse to be put in with the sheep/sheepdog? they are domesticated things, I refuse to be domesticated.

Jack House

I don't like the parable. I'm not sheep, not even armed sheep, I'm not a sheep dog, I'd rather be put in with the wolf, but I'm not a criminal. Why I refuse to be put in with the sheep/sheepdog? they are domesticated things, I refuse to be domesticated.
Are you married?

Jack House

Oh I'm sorry, I must have given you the wrong impression. You are not my type, I am afraid. I am only interested in females on a sexual and/or romantic level. Rather my inquiry purely professional curiosity.

since9

Campaign Veteran

Are you saying you've found some sort of resource in recent weeks you'd like to share with the rest of us?

A dictionary? Really? Well, if so, good for you! I wish you the best with your endeavor into that dictionary. May you learn whatever it is you may! I welcome you back whenever you feel you've learned whatever it is you feel you should have learned! Please share it with us when you feel you're ready and willing to do so - we're all ears. :)

Jack House

Are you saying you've found some sort of resource in recent weeks you'd like to share with the rest of us?

A dictionary? Really? Well, if so, good for you! I wish you the best with your endeavor into that dictionary. May you learn whatever it is you may! I welcome you back whenever you feel you've learned whatever it is you feel you should have learned! Please share it with us when you feel you're ready and willing to do so - we're all ears. :)
lol Touche. Point is you're taking the OP too literally. Don't.

Jack House

Thanks, but the point is you're posting cryptic one-liners. This is a message forum, it's purpose of which is to exchange ideas. Please consider joining the rest of us as we do so!

Thanks.
Kinda like why I explained my point.
2010-09-23_145126.png