• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Home Defense Shotgun - What to Buy

sultan62

I am a big believer in the "whatever works for you" argument-and it's especially true regarding the safety. In my experience with the Mossberg 500 (which admittedly, is restricted to in-store), I don't much care for the safety. Granted, deactivating the safety on my 870 is second nature. But that's just for me.

KS_to_CA

The location and configuration is the PRIMARY reason I went with the Mossberg over the Remington 870. I wanted a home defense long gun that would be easy to teach my family to use, and the tang-mount, forward-disengaging safety of the Mossberg is MUCH more intuitive and easy to manipulate for the wife and daughters, who don't shoot it much. And the safety on the mossy can be VISUALLY checked from the "low ready" position without moving or turning the gun, which is an added bonus. The 870 can't.

The 870 is a GREAT shotgun--don't get me wrong. I just thing the safety is a little more awkward, and not nearly as intuitive under stress. It's a GREAT hunting gun, but I wouldn't want my family to rely on it in a self-defense situation, because of the trigger guard mounted safety.

The Mossy is just a MUCH more intuitive gun to use under stress, I think...

That's why I got me a 12 ga Mossy 500 with an 18.5 inch barrel.

Hiredgun30

i would take a look at at the new stevens ( savage) model 350 home defense shotgun...they are about 220.00
or a nef pardner pump shotgun for around 200.00 both are for people on a budget but will get the job done.

Last edited:

heresyourdipstickjimmy

Hey all,

I only have handguns, but I am thinking about purchasing a shotgun almost strictly for home defense. It is possible I may want to take it hunting at some point, so please take that into account when providing your recommendation. That being said, it is almost 100% for home defense use.

Therefore, what do you all suggest I buy? I am just looking for a standard shotgun. Nothing fancy. I also do not want it to be too expensive, so nothing more than $800 (preferably a few hundred, which I think is pretty standard).

I think I should go with 12 gauge, and I would probably want a somewhat short barrel (for maneuverability in the home).

So please let me know your suggestions. Thanks!

Jim, you'll likely hear varying info on the subject, but I'd like to give my input from my own experience with defensive shotguns.

The 870 has been suggested. The 870 is economical and you can find an 8 round tube version for ballpark of $500 or less. These will come in varying versions from a standard stock to a full tactical that may push the $800 envelope depending on how hard-core you want a tactical shotgun to be (remember, at some point it just becomes tacti-cool instead of tactical). There are many other brands out there that will be preferable due to brand name or features, but in a home defense shotgun it's meant to serve a purpose, not look pretty. If you can be economical on your choice and come away with a nice HD shotgun, you'll have the rest of your budget to purchase ammunition and take the time to practice with it. I suggest you do not keep it as a HD shotgun unless you've taken the time to practice and become very familiar with it, an example of why comes to mind from a pawn shop visit recently where they had a Franchi SPAS come in and couldn't figure out how to get the semiauto function to work properly.

Barrel length should be of little concern as long as you're not considering a trench-gun. A standard tactical 870 (barrel will be as long as the 8 round tube) is just right in my opinion. Rule of thumb is that every shotgun is cumbersome to sweep in the home, there's just no way around it due to their inherent size. (unless you go with a Taurus Judge) Round capacity is vital as it gives you the ability to defend yourself and potentially enough time to allow others in the home to escape.

I currently own a HK/Fabarm S.D.A.S.S. Heavy Combat breacher shotgun. It has the pistol grip, an extended tube, and a foregrip rail...the only thing I wish it had was ghost ring sights. Yet, in the home you won't need much for sights due to the close quarters. I do suggest a tactical light of some sort for positive target identification...something that strobes as a secondary function is even better as it helps disorient your target.

You might be tempted to get the pistol grip without a stock. I'd suggest you get one that has a stock if you go pistol grip so you have the shouldering option.

There's nothing that will influence a full bowel evacuation like the sound of a shotgun racking in close quarters.

Last edited:

swinokur

Activist Member
Most folks say that for home defense, an 18.5 barrel is best. It allows quick sweeps and can be brought to firing position more quickly than longer barrels. It is also noticeably lighter and has better balance. Longer barrels are useless for HD.That being said, the longest extension you can put on an 18.5 barrel 870 is a +2 extension, giving you 6 in the tube. I keep my HD shotgun in what is known as "cruiser ready" condition which consists of an empty chamber and a full tube.safety off All that is required is to bring the weapon up and rack the slide to chamber the first round.

A bead sight is perfect for a HD shotgun, as they are pointed not aimed.

I don't believe there is any evidence that the sound of a shotgun being racked affects a BG's behavior. If someone has proof, provide a cite please.

The only other must have is some kind of light to illuminate your target.Target ID is critical. There are plenty of mounting bracket/switch combo for these lights from many manufacturers. including Surefire and Streamlight. I have a very expensive Surefire fore end light that replaces the stock one. It is more money than the shotgun but it's first rate if budget can handle it

A magazine extension tube is nice but not required. You can buy them factory installed or add an after market one..I bought a Remington extension tube and installed it myself, but it did require a little grinding on the Express model to make it fit. As noted, the largest you can get for an 8.5 inch barrel is +2, which is more than adequate. You are not getting in a battle with terrorists in your home. The other issue with extensions is adds weight and affects the balance. I felt this on my 870 but I'm big so no issue for me.

Stay away from breacher chokes and all the mall ninja stuff. not required in a HD shotgun

Other nice extras but not required are:

Sidesaddle to hold extra shells or butt cuff or speed feed stock
Recoil reducing stock
Sling but some disagree on this one.

since9

Campaign Veteran
As much as I appreciate the destructive firepower of a shotgun (I have fired thousands of rounds through dozens of makes and models), I prefer a handgun for the arguably superior maneuverability it affords me in close quarters, partcularly against an attacker who gets within my close-in space.

One of the things I was taught in Aikido is how to defeat both long arms and handguns from a variety of positions. Defeating long arms is rather simple once one closes within grappling range of the weapon. Handguns, not so much.

This is one of the principle reasons why Special Forces assault teams carry sidearms in addition to their M-4/tactical shotgun/.50-cal, and any of the several other long arms they routinely carry.

GunGuy20

I went with the Remington 870 express tactical model. It has a 2 round extension to 6 and a riot forend. I added a tacstar 6 shot side saddle and a Blackhawk pistol grip stock. Never been happer with a gun. Got it for $375 out the door. :)

Attachments

• 439916679.jpg
    439916679.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 109

Dreamer

Mossberg 500 Field/Security Combo. Comes with 2 barrels (18.5" smoothbore full choke, and 28" ribbed, ported accu-choke smoothbore) Get it with a wood stock--it's a little heavier, but in a home defense situation, you won't be lugging it through the woods for hours anyway, and if you run out of ammo and have to go "hand to hand", a wood buttstock is MUCH more effective than a polymer one.

Great for trap and skeet, good for hunting, and this particular Mossberg can often be had for well under $300. I got mine for under $280--out the door, sales tax included.

Mossberg pumps are the best-kept secret in the shotgun world. They are EVERY bit as reliable and rugged as an 870, at only about 85% the cost. Tons of aftermarket accessories for them are available, and they shoot very well, and are nicely balanced.

I put a sling and a brown Pachmayr Decelerator buttpad on mine and I can shoot clays with it all day long without getting beat up. It's a VERY natural-pointing shotgun, and the action is smooth and quick. It's a blast on the clays range, AND I trust it implicitly as a home-defense firearm, and have trained my other immediate family on it's use...

Plus if you ever are unfortunate to have to use one to defend your family in your house, they don't look all "tacticool" and it's going to be REALLY hard to convince a jury that you were some sort of mall-ninja rambo type when the prosecutor is holding up a plain-Jane wood-furnished pump gun....

Last edited: