• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ALERT: Royal Oak Seeks To Create New Pistol-Free Zone

TheQ

WHEREAS, Michigan law is unclear as to whether or not a member of the
general public can be prohibited from possessing a firearm at Arts, Beats & Eats,
or a similar festival where large crowds of people are in close proximity, alcohol
is served, and various types of entertainment are offered for people of all ages;
and

UNCLEAR MY A**!

Tell me when to show up and I will if I can.

Bailenforcer

OH I smell a civil and constitutional rights law suit coming at Royal Oak like a runaway freight train...

These morons are as arrogant as it gets and election time is the time to have a "political Purge". Fire every damn one of them.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran

thekunk47

Royal oak pistol free zones

They still don't get it.Even if it was declared a pistol free zone , open carry would still be legal with a CPL.This is a long shot in the dark by people who are mad because they lost the argument. Granholm is not going to open this can of worms for the next governor.And Pappageorge is pro-gun. It's a total waste of their time and it would be a waste of ours to go.The precedent was set by Ferndale and they won't get it changed.Even if by some miracle they got special exemption just for this one city and festival....who cares. I don't wish to spend any of my money there anyway.It hasn't got a snowballs chance in hell. What could we argue anyway.We know state law and that's what they would have to change.The best thing we could do is petition the same people to leave the laws as they stand.Michigan has the smoothest gun laws around.They don't want every municipality to have the right to make their own laws.Write your own letters and forget it.

PDinDetroit

Shall we make this a long gun event too? Just saying... seriously - these officials are ... well, suffering from rectal cranial inversion!

Nope, Long Gun OC would be, in my estimation, playing into their hands. We have been polite, professional, and have stood up firmly for our rights. They just continue to look "stupid" by taking these actions on.

What I find somewhat amusing is Consent Agenda Item 8L:

http://www.ci.royal-oak.mi.us/porta...meetings/City Commission/2010/0913-279-10.pdf

It appears that a Dentist wanted to put up a sign for the business and Royal Oak denied him 3 times of approvals. The Dentist filed suit and won since Royal Oak did not have sufficient evidence to deny him (does this sound familiar?). Now, it appears that they will have to let him have the sign AND will have to pay him for his troubles.

Does this sound familiar where they did not have evidence, yet went ahead with their agenda anyways? The Resolution to Ban Firearms from Public Buildings for having an unsubstantiated "chilling effect" on First Amendment for Public Comments in City Commission Meetings? The New Resolution to create a PFZ for Festivals when the current laws do not support them and where firearm carry was widely reported as a Non-Issue?

You just can't fix stupid, but you can kick them out of office.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
I was being "snarky" about the long guns. Thanks for this post PD. If at all possible I'll be there. They will do nothing in my opinion until their collective asses are sued into submission, as this ($$$$$$$), is all that seems to matter to them.

Last edited:

Bailenforcer

I used to live over that way and trust this, these morons will not stop until they are sued into poverty and the voters have enough of watching their city destroyed by a few morons personal vendettas. Then the morons will be gone and the city will suffer with losses from lost lawsuits. Too bad the people in Royal Oak can't see this eventuality, before it hits them in the pocketbooks (taxation). People who hold public office should not use their office as a tool to get even with their perceived enemies, on the tax payers dime. That is what this is all about the public officials have an agenda and will stop at nothing and spare no taxpayer expense to see that agenda through. Witz in my opinion has an ego that precedes common sense, and his cronies in public office will follow him over the edge of the Abyss if need be.

I was being "snarky" about the long guns. Thanks for this post PD. If at all possible I'll be there. They will do nothing in my opinion until their collective asses are sued into submission, as this ($$$$$$$), is all that seems to matter to them.

Small Arms Collector

I used to live over that way and trust this, these morons will not stop until they are sued into poverty and the voters have enough of watching their city destroyed by a few morons personal vendettas. Then the morons will be gone and the city will suffer with losses from lost lawsuits. Too bad the people in Royal Oak can't see this eventuality, before it hits them in the pocketbooks (taxation). People who hold public office should not use their office as a tool to get even with their perceived enemies, on the tax payers dime. That is what this is all about the public officials have an agenda and will stop at nothing and spare no taxpayer expense to see that agenda through. Witz in my opinion has an ego that precedes common sense, and his cronies in public office will follow him over the edge of the Abyss if need be.

That was my impression as well, and why I was so adamant to teach that SOB witz, and his ilk a lesson at Arts Beats, and Eats, they just won't stop, until they get there way, and make no mistake there ultimate goal is the same as all antis. Which is why I didn't get all the people saying, "we won, don't rub it in", because these people will not stop, what I was trying to encourage was enough carriers to show up that people wouldn't be able to turn around hardly without seeing one of us, because that ultimately is the only way to shut witz, l brooks patterson, and there ilk down, by getting out there, and letting people see that there doomsday predictions are not coming true, and that they are a bunch of morons. I'll be there, and I'm half tempted again to bring my PS-90 this time just to drive the point home, I probably won't but I'm tempted, these people are really ******* me off. I will for sure be there though with at least my pistol.

Last edited:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
That was my impression as well, and why I was so adamant to teach that SOB witz, and his ilk a lesson at Arts Beats, and Eats, they just won't stop, until they get there way, and make no mistake there ultimate goal is the same as all antis. Which is why I didn't get all the people saying, "we won, don't rub it in", because these people will not stop, what I was trying to encourage was enough carriers to show up that people wouldn't be able to turn around hardly without seeing one of us, because that ultimately is the only way to shut witz, l brooks patterson, and there ilk down, by getting out there, and letting people see that there doomsday predictions are not coming true, and that they are a bunch of morons. I'll be there, and I'm half tempted again to bring my PS-90 this time just to drive the point home, I probably won't but I'm tempted, these people are really ******* me off. I will for sure be there though with at least my pistol.

SAC - I have had a member of their commission belittle me & try to provoke me into a confrontation, do not let them sucker you in - that's what they want. Just speak your peace in a calm manner & let them make asses of themselves if they want. I don't get way they cannot get a grip on the idea that we are simply asking them to follow the law that's it nothing more & nothing less. With leaders like these in place throughout our country it is only a matter of time before history will repeat its self again. Sad, so very sad. Remember guys & gals or forefathers were called: rabble, misfits & even traitors by the powers in charge of their day. History has proved those insults hurled by a corrupt crown to be false. History will also prove those insults launched at us by corrupt & morally bankrupt government officials & others to be false also.

Actions speak volumes, & their continued disregard for the laws of our Country & State [RO officials & Mr. Witz] paint a very clear picture of who the "bad guys" really are in this battle for civil rights.

Last edited:

Small Arms Collector

SAC - I have had a member of their commission belittle me & try to provoke me into a confrontation, do not let them sucker you in - that's what they want. Just speak your peace in a calm manner & let them make asses of themselves if they want. I don't get way they cannot get a grip on the idea that we are simply asking them to follow the law that's it nothing more & nothing less. With leaders like these in place throughout our country it is only a matter of time before history will repeat its self again. Sad, so very sad. Remember guys & gals or forefathers were called: rabble, misfits & even traitors by the powers in charge of their day. History has proved those insults hurled by a corrupt crown to be false. History will also prove those insults launched at us by corrupt & morally bankrupt government officials & others to be false also.

Actions speak volumes, & their continued disregard for the laws of our Country & State [RO officials & Mr. Witz] paint a very clear picture of who the "bad guys" really are in this battle for civil rights.

What did they say exactly?

Does Royal Oak have a time limit on each public comment?

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Yes to the time limit it is 5 minutes.

Commissioner Drinkwine basically yelled at me saying he's not going to play my games. All I was asking was if they would all read their names & address into the record (to be posted on the web) then I would do the same. They would not so I did not.I was making the point that requiring this information is a bully tactic designed to intimidate citizens from speaking. This information was given by some of our members, who subsequently received harassment or threats. Just another example of "do as I say & not as I do" by them.

TheQ

Date & Time: Mon, 09/13/2010 - 7:30pm - 8:30pm
Location: Commission Room - 211 S Williams St, Royal Oak, on the 3rd floor, room 315

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=R...=42.48874&longitude=-83.14297&geocode=ADDRESS

I was afraid it'd be this week :( Family obligations require me to be home in Lansing by 10 PM this week. How much confidence is there in the meeting actually being over at 8:30. From the minutes I've seen of these meetings they often last well past 10 or even midnight.

kyleplusitunes

I'm glad you're going to be in royal oak this time SAC, however, I hope your lack of restraint and anger issues don't come into play at the meeting and you handle yourself with dignity.

also, RO city council is a whole different situation that mr. witz, who is a glorified carney

thekunk47

Royal Ok BS

I think there is approximately a zero percent chance of royal oak winning this battle anytime in the near future.

Guys,
They're just spinning their wheels. The premption clause was put in after much ado so the laws would be universal across the state. Michigan didn't want every jerkwater town having their own say-so about firearms.They're not gonna change it. There's nothing we can argue at the meeting except that they are dumb for wasting their time and thinking the state would change an old law just for Royal Oak. As close as the cities are around here it could be total chaos to allow it....and the state won't. I doubt if the legislature will even answer them. Let them make asses of themselves instead of reading and following state law.This movement would require a change to the Michigan Constiution itself and that's not gonna happen for a dinky town and their festival.Write to the same legislaters and to the governor if you wish but nothing of this magnitude will ever be approved in this state.
However if we go to the meetings and let them suck us into losing it or acting irresponsible they would have made a point.If you want to do anyhting just take your guns and sit their with a Chessire cat grin all night.If the media asks ...you can tell them what a joke you think it is. And they'll get even madder.

Last edited:

PDinDetroit

Guys,
They're just spinning their wheels. The premption clause was put in after much ado so the laws would be universal across the state. Michigan didn't want every jerkwater town having their own say-so about firearms.They're not gonna change it. There's nothing we can argue at the meeting except that they are dumb for wasting their time and thinking the state would change an old law just for Royal Oak. As close as the cities are around here it could be total chaos to allow it....and the state won't. I doubt if the legislature will even answer them. Let them make asses of themselves instead of reading and following state law.This movement would require a change to the Michigan Constiution itself and that's not gonna happen for a dinky town and their festival.Write to the same legislaters and to the governor if you wish but nothing of this magnitude will ever be approved in this state.
However if we go to the meetings and let them suck us into losing it or acting irresponsible they would have made a point.If you want to do anyhting just take your guns and sit their with a Chessire cat grin all night.If the media asks ...you can tell them what a joke you think it is. And they'll get even madder.

I totally agree. The MI Legislature will be loathe to touch this issue at all, but we do need to write them to make our position known. I will post it later this weekend.

As for me, I will be there if I am feeling up to it, to remind my fellow residents of Royal Oak just how stupid is this course of action.

Jerbear1098

Guys,

Have to agree, with the likely hood of the constitutional convention prop 1 failing, there really isn't much of a stomach to change laws for just one city. See here all the polls so far.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/download/2010/0909/24947800.pdf