• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Flying with a firearm

o2ryan

I have checked a firearm while flying before, so my question does not pertain to the process. I am curious if after checking your firearm, have you continued to wear your holster through security or did you check it as well? Last time I checked it, but would prefer to wear it.

jt59

I have checked a firearm while flying before, so my question does not pertain to the process. I am curious if after checking your firearm, have you continued to wear your holster through security or did you check it as well? Last time I checked it, but would prefer to wear it.

Does your cell phone fit in it?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
No, but it was in my carry on bag.

If it is 100% leather or plastic then I don't know of any law preventing you from such. I personally wouldn't though.

o2ryan

If it is 100% leather or plastic then I don't know of any law preventing you from such. I personally wouldn't though.

This is my concern, as I do have metal screws/nuts in my crossbreed supertuck (leather, kydex). I do not have a problem showing my holster to TSA, but I do have a problem with their knee-jerk reaction to confiscate it. It would not be the first thing I have had taken from me at a security check point.:dude:

Stryker

I've worn my Serpa up to the x-ray machine and removed it in full view of TSA, but I too, opt to have it go through x-ray vs tempting the magnetometer to recommend additional screening measures. Can anyone say "Male Assist"?

ETA: On second thought, I did once forget to remove my Fobus for my Keltec PF9 and didn't notice it until I sat down on the plane. Obviously TSA didn't notice (or care) either.

Last edited:

3/325

I had it in my carryon luggage once. Nobody noticed.

Will the metal in a SuperTuck set off the sirens? It's possible, I suppose. You've got six rivets, two nut/bolt assemblies, and two steel belt clips. That might be enough to do it.

Tomas

One slight but possible negative is if they decide to swab for explosives - I suspect the inside of my holster has residue, in fact the whole thing probably does.

That shouldn't cause a problem, but may invite a little extra scrutiny.

(Personally I wear my CC holster - all leather - through security checks, and haven't had any problems.)

JoeSparky

Centurion
I have no problem with someone choosing to wear their holster (without firearm) past the security checkpoints and onto the aircraft... BUT...

I feel MUCH better anytime my firearm comes off my body that it is contained in the retention holster I carry it in....

Even being checked in baggage I would be happier with the firearm secured IN IT"S HOLSTER!

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Why?

The key regulatory requirements to transporting firearms, firearm parts or ammunition in checked baggage are:
  • You must declare all firearms to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process.
  • The firearm must be unloaded.
  • The firearm must be in a hard-sided container.
  • The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from access by anyone other than you. Cases that can be pulled open with little effort do not meet this criterion. The pictures provided here illustrate the difference between a properly packaged and an improperly packaged firearm.
  • We recommend that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain in the area designated by the aircraft operator or TSA representative to take the key back after the container is cleared for transportation. If you are not present and the security officer must open the container, we or the airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact you. If we can't contact you, the container will not be placed on the plane. Federal regulations prohibit unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) on aircraft.
  • You must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging that is specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
  • You can't use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).
  • You may carry the ammunition in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as you pack it as described above.
  • You can't bring black powder or percussion caps used with black-powder type firearms in either your carry-on or checked baggage.
I have no problem with someone choosing to wear their holster (without firearm) past the security checkpoints and onto the aircraft... BUT...

I feel MUCH better anytime my firearm comes off my body that it is contained in the retention holster I carry it in....

Even being checked in baggage I would be happier with the firearm secured IN IT"S HOLSTER!

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member

I do ... and I have never had anyone say anything ... UNTIL ... I was flying through Philly a few months ago and, as I was buying a shake at a food stand in the concourse, a man approached and identified himself as an air marshal (showing me his credentials). He asked where the gun was and I told him in my checked luggage. We were chatting when I feel a hand on my shoulder and I turn to find a uniformed officer standing behind me. He asked the same question and, while drinking my shake, I gave him the same answer. We all ended up chatting about guns, etc for a few minutes until my flight was ready to leave. :)

John

Lucky_Dog

I just went through Philly last week.
I left my holster in my bag with my weapon. Slightly more comfortable in those flying cattle car seats.

Tomas

Trevor, start here... http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

For me it's a locked metal pistol case, padded inside, that the Airline/TSO will want to inspect before it is locked and put into my luggage. My luggage is also inspected, then locked. A small TSA sticker is put on the tag, indicating the luggage has already been inspected.

Normally it will remained sealed/locked once you lock it after that individual inspection, meaning you can actually use a real lock instead of a TSA unlockable lock openable by half the planet. (There is a chance, though, that someone will want to re-inspect, and you will lose the good lock.)

Beyond those general rules, it is up to the airline as to what they will allow.