• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sams Club: Ask to leave, or 'secure' gun in car.

MilitaryMike

While paying for my new membership at the sames club at Losee and Craig I noticed an employee and a rent-a-guard approaching me at the desk (the employee had seen my strong side, and got the brave 80 year old security guard!). I was asked in a tone manner to "step over here", and I was asked if I was a cop..I told them no. Then I was asked what the purpose of my gun was for (it makes me look cool silly!) and I replied for self defense and that open carry was legal. Furthermore I showed my CCW and told them to stop worrying, I was legal. They then told me that only cops are allowed to carry weapons (I corrected them and told them the laws and how they should post a sign if they don't like it, or just obey state laws) and when that didn't pan out for them they instructed me to leave it in the car. I told them why that is unsafe and told them that for now on I will CCW... their response, "that will still be a problem" (not like if they asked I would tell them if I was CCW..none of their business!) and "to respect their company policy". I then said I would leave, and follow up on their company policy (benefit of the doubt hoping that someone needs some education).

So, Sams Club might try to bully you. Their unarmed security turns out to be all bark when you set them straight. I have called headquarters and my "issue" has been escalated. If they are anti gun, I will go in there (armed) and will cancel it but will suggest that their security/staff learn the state laws before they quote things out of their ass.

Anyone else want to test the waters?

At least I didn't get a MWAG call and killed.

Gordie

You should have asked to talk to a manager. These two need to be educated on corporate policy, which is to follow state law.

pool_marine702

Thats odd!!!

this strikes me as weird... because i have visited two sam's club stores ( eastern and sereen, and rainbow and the 215) and have had zero problems... on the other hand... i went to the costco on 215 and charleston about a month ago and was asked to put my weapon in the car... but i posted about that experience and was told by another member that the other costco on sunset has no problems with OC... i am interested in why stores in the same town cant seem to have a unified policy... it seems that they just make it up as they go. i am going to follow up on my costco experience also... i bet that their HQ tells me that the store should follow " ALL STATE LAWS". i ll keep you posted... and if you talk to someone at sam's... you can tell them that i have had NO problems at other stores in the las vegas area.

28kfps

I have also opened carried in several of the Sam’s Clubs and never had a problem.

MilitaryMike

The manager of the Sams Club in question called me today. He was not sure on the company policy, but will get back to me. I voiced my concerns of the security guard giving bad advice/false laws and he told me the security is a contracted 3rd party (co out...he should have at least offered to deal with them).

So, when he gets back to me with the official policy, I will ask him to send me it in an email for future reference (if they allow it). If not I told him my membership will be canceled.

MilitaryMike

Just recieved a call (voicemail format, on purpose).

Was told that me and my sidearm are welcome anyday of the week. The store managers name is T.J. for any future patrons that might run into trouble.

If I run into trouble, I now have the voicemail on my droid.