• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

D'Cruz v. BATFE

TheQ

"I understand long rifles for hunting and so forth, and I believe in the right to bear arms...[but] I also believe in the responsibility that those arms bring and the ownership of owning guns," said McDonald. "If you can't legally drink, then you shouldn't legally purchase a handgun."

I don't get it. What does being able to buy liquor have to do with alcohol? We don't want you to buy a weapon unless you can get drunk at the same time? WTF?

...I just don't follow the logic.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Thanks for the post Yooper. I hope he kicks their backsides. If he should lose then in my opinion the Armed forces should be prohibited from accepting anyone under 21 years old. As they "are not responsible enough" to handle the standard issue M9 pistol, correct? This is a stupid law; at age 10 I was trained by my family to use firearms safely and was allowed to hunt at an early age. No accidental discharges, injuries etc...

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

Thanks for the post Yooperlady. I hope he kicks their backsides. If he should lose then in my opinion the Armed forces should be prohibited from accepting anyone under 21 years old. As they "are not responsible enough" to handle the standard issue M9 pistol, correct? This is a stupid law; at age 10 I was trained by my family to use firearms safely and was allowed to hunt at an early age. No accidental discharges, injuries etc...

Errr... Yooper and Yooperlady are two different people my friend....

:D

lil_freak_66

Thanks for the post Yooperlady. I hope he kicks their backsides. If he should lose then in my opinion the Armed forces should be prohibited from accepting anyone under 21 years old. As they "are not responsible enough" to handle the standard issue M9 pistol, correct? This is a stupid law; at age 10 I was trained by my family to use firearms safely and was allowed to hunt at an early age. No accidental discharges, injuries etc...

I feel this way too.

at 17 one can enlist,go overseas at 18,with a fully automatic short barreled rifle,mortars,handgun,grenades,explosives...use equipment costing several million,if not billions of dollars.

come home,cant buy a civilian variant of the same handgun you used in war,from a dealer,or at all in many states.

p.s.
i sometimes mix up yooper and yooperlady too! they both have very similar usernames.

detroit_fan

"I understand long rifles for hunting and so forth, and I believe in the right to bear arms...[but] I also believe in the responsibility that those arms bring and the ownership of owning guns," said McDonald. "If you can't legally drink, then you shouldn't legally purchase a handgun."

I think he's absolutely right, the age to buy alcohol & a handgun should be 18.

PDinDetroit

Just to throw in my $.02.

McDonald v City Of Chicago SCOTUS Decision clearly states we have a Fundamental Right of Self-Defense and that is most often provided by use of a handgun. To say that someone is an adult at 18, but yet restricted from purchasing a handgun steals from them the Fundamental Right of Self-Defense as most often utilized.

Additionally, most states laws and federal laws that I have researched have the "unorganized militia" membership starting at 18, so it should stand that this would be the age that ALL FIREARMS FROM ANY DEALER could be purchased.

NHCGRPR45

well i don't really agree that 18 year olds are old enough to buy and/or drink booze then again its just my opinion, i however do agree that they should be able to buy haundguns. contradiction you say? you bet! i would much rather have an armed 18 year old than a drunk one. oh and they should be able to ammo for there gun also, lets not forget that little technicallity!!

but i shall not be the one to force my views on anyone!

B

Bikenut

My personal opinion...

Old enough to join the military and fight for the country equals old enough to enjoy ALL the rights and privileges of a citizen. Anything else is hypocrisy.

Period!

RenegadeMarine

My personal opinion...

Old enough to join the military and fight for the country equals old enough to enjoy ALL the rights and privileges of a citizen. Anything else is hypocrisy.

Period!

Absolutely!! No if's, and's, or but's about it!! People have been saying this for years, but obviously the government thinks they know whats best for us!:banghead: It is ridiculous that you can go to war and risk life and limb(and possibly lose one), just to come home and be told that you cannot drink a beer or buy a handgun and carry one concealed! BS1.gif

Yooper

Absolutely!! No if's, and's, or but's about it!! People have been saying this for years, but obviously the government thinks they know whats best for us!:banghead: It is ridiculous that you can go to war and risk life and limb(and possibly lose one), just to come home and be told that you cannot drink a beer or buy a handgun and carry one concealed! View attachment 3890

People are getting worked up because they don't want 18-20 year olds to have handguns. They don't realize that in most states, the can already own them, they just have to buy them from a private party vs a FFL. So really, they're arguing that they'd rather a person acquire a handgun through a private party transfer (gift or purchase), rather than through a FFL which would require a background check.

Oh, BTW, many states allow persons under 21 to drink alcohol, unfortunately, Michigan is not one of them.

lil_freak_66

Not like people under 21 dont drink anyways eh?
I read somewhere that 90% of people whom drink and smoke,started at an age before they were legally allowed to do so.

Id be all for 18+ being able to buy handguns from dealers,and lowering the drinking age to 18,just raise the penalties for drinking related crimes.