Thread: Is my wife able to get a gun?

michaelinnc84

Is my wife able to get a gun?

Last edited by michaelinnc84; 11-19-2011 at 04:07 PM.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelinnc84 View Post
    She was told at the time she would never be able to buy a gun or even be in a house with a gun. Is there any truth to that?
    Cops are not the best source for legal advice. I would check with a attorney. Personally, I think she can own.

also.. read this: http://www.nccrimecontrol.org/div/hp...ublication.pdf
    Last edited by ed; 09-11-2010 at 10:35 AM. Reason: add link
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Why not have her apply for a PPP and see what happens..
    For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. — Carl Sagan

When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours - Stephen Roberts

If it was only a misdemeanor, she still has her 2nd amendment rights. It takes a felony to get those taken away.

a PPP is a pistol purchasing permit. Go to your local sheriff's office, and fill out an application for said PPP, give them $5 and they'll tell you the next day whether or not you can legally purchase a gun (which I'm 99.99% positive she can)
    Taurus PT1911 .45 ACP. Carried in condition 1, with a total of 25 rounds.

Vice President of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, ECU Chapter

It looks to me like she should be able to get one with no problem. Since it was a misdemeanor and not a felony. What is a PPP?
    PPP= Pistol Purchase Permit. (Although it is more correctly a Pistol Transfer Permit as one is required whether the handgun is bought or gifted)

I read that you can use a concealed permit to purchase in lieu of a PPP. If that is correct, wouldn't it be better to get that so we can OC and CC when needed.
    If you can get it, yes. Of course, it will take longer to get, and probably to find out for sure if she can purchase.

She wasn't charged with a felony i think she can get a gun

She might have to jump through some hoops to get a CHP but to purchase she should be fine.

Best bet is to go to the courthouse and see EXACTLY what the charge and conviction was for. And take it from there.

I believe she should be able to get a PPP, based on the NC Laws. An additional option would be to go to the original court where she was charged. If she has had a clean record since then, she can petition the original court/judge to nulify the charge. most courts have a request for case nulification process. It is time consuming, but if she has not gotten into trouble (speeding tickets won't matter) she may be able to have it removed completely. You can do it with a lawyer or not.

Quote Originally Posted by elixin77 View Post
    If it was only a misdemeanor, she still has her 2nd amendment rights. It takes a felony to get those taken away.
    You're forgetting misdemeanor domestic violence laws. While not applicable in this situation, you will lose your 2A rights.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCTarheel View Post
    You're forgetting misdemeanor domestic violence laws. While not applicable in this situation, you will lose your 2A rights.
    DVs can be nulified too, if and only IF, one does not have multiple DVs and has served their time, AND kept their nose clean. It is possible.

Check the statutes to be sure. If there are questions you may want to talk to a lawyer. Just going for the gusto and applying for the permit if you think there is a problem may have you answering some questions.

PPP requirements

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedL...GS_14-404.html

CHP requirements

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedL...14-415.12.html

And the ONE bit of advice that is perhaps the FIRST ting we should have told you (but nobody did...) is that you might want to talk to a lawyer once you get all the court records. Don't believe anything the court officials or your local LEOs tell you.

Find an attorney in your area that specializes in firearms law. A simple consultation to straighten this out should be well under $100...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    And the ONE bit of advice that is perhaps the FIRST ting we should have told you (but nobody did...) is that you might want to talk to a lawyer once you get all the court records. Don't believe anything the court officials or your local LEOs tell you.

Find an attorney in your area that specializes in firearms law. A simple consultation to straighten this out should be well under $100...
    Well, yeah. There is that whole "Cops and officials will lie to you thing."