• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is my wife able to get a gun?

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Last edited:

elixin77

If it was only a misdemeanor, she still has her 2nd amendment rights. It takes a felony to get those taken away.

a PPP is a pistol purchasing permit. Go to your local sheriff's office, and fill out an application for said PPP, give them $5 and they'll tell you the next day whether or not you can legally purchase a gun (which I'm 99.99% positive she can)

USNRCorpsman

It looks to me like she should be able to get one with no problem. Since it was a misdemeanor and not a felony. What is a PPP?

PPP= Pistol Purchase Permit. (Although it is more correctly a Pistol Transfer Permit as one is required whether the handgun is bought or gifted)

sultan62

I read that you can use a concealed permit to purchase in lieu of a PPP. If that is correct, wouldn't it be better to get that so we can OC and CC when needed.

If you can get it, yes. Of course, it will take longer to get, and probably to find out for sure if she can purchase.

mekender

She might have to jump through some hoops to get a CHP but to purchase she should be fine.

Best bet is to go to the courthouse and see EXACTLY what the charge and conviction was for. And take it from there.

Northerner

I believe she should be able to get a PPP, based on the NC Laws. An additional option would be to go to the original court where she was charged. If she has had a clean record since then, she can petition the original court/judge to nulify the charge. most courts have a request for case nulification process. It is time consuming, but if she has not gotten into trouble (speeding tickets won't matter) she may be able to have it removed completely. You can do it with a lawyer or not.

Northerner

You're forgetting misdemeanor domestic violence laws. While not applicable in this situation, you will lose your 2A rights.

DVs can be nulified too, if and only IF, one does not have multiple DVs and has served their time, AND kept their nose clean. It is possible.

chiefjason

Dreamer

And the ONE bit of advice that is perhaps the FIRST ting we should have told you (but nobody did...) is that you might want to talk to a lawyer once you get all the court records. Don't believe anything the court officials or your local LEOs tell you.

Find an attorney in your area that specializes in firearms law. A simple consultation to straighten this out should be well under $100...

sultan62

And the ONE bit of advice that is perhaps the FIRST ting we should have told you (but nobody did...) is that you might want to talk to a lawyer once you get all the court records. Don't believe anything the court officials or your local LEOs tell you.

Find an attorney in your area that specializes in firearms law. A simple consultation to straighten this out should be well under $100...

Well, yeah. There is that whole "Cops and officials will lie to you thing."