• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

non citizen open carry?

Stogies

I am a very legal resident alien but I am not a citizen. Can I open carry at all? Technically the second amendment etc. does not necessarily apply to me.

KS_to_CA

IANAL.

In some states like KS, the law on CCW specifies "citizen", so you can't CC there. And this might be true with other states.

But as far as OC, I have not encountered anything that says "citizen" only.

Help, anyone?

NavyMike

I am a very legal resident alien but I am not a citizen. Can I open carry at all? Technically the second amendment etc. does not necessarily apply to me.

If you are a permanent resident alien, there is no Federal law barring you from keeping/bearing a firearm. You might want to post in the NC forum for guidance on NC state law.

Jared

IANAL.

In some states like KS, the law on CCW specifies "citizen", so you can't CC there. And this might be true with other states.

But as far as OC, I have not encountered anything that says "citizen" only.

Help, anyone?

Actually, since July 1st, kansas can issue to anyone who is lawfully present in the U.S. A non-immigrant or a resident alien.

Regarding NC, anyone who legally owns a gun may open carry.

simmonsjoe

Non-Citizens and firearms.

Please note in NC there is no state law regarding Open Carry.
Because there is no licensing, you are only affected by local ordinances the same as everyone else.

Also as a nitpicky side-note:
The right to bear arms is God-given to ALL MEN regardless of citizenship. The Right is not recognized for non-immigrant and illegal aliens.

Last edited:

Stogies

Personally I would have to agree that there should be no separation on this right between citizens and non-citizens but this take could be contested. And I am still a guest in this country so intend to be courteous and not cause any offense.

M1911a1lvr

In Vermont, as a green card holder with no restrictions. You can carry OC/CC, I did back in the early 90's until i became a citizen in 95. It's best for you to contact the state issuing authority for that info, also get in touch with the INS customer service to find out if your green card/Resident alien status has any restrictions from doing so. Since there are different resident alien status cards, Some don't even allow you to own a firearm. Those are work related resident cards, probably not your status though.

KS_to_CA

Actually, since July 1st, kansas can issue to anyone who is lawfully present in the U.S. A non-immigrant or a resident alien.

Regarding NC, anyone who legally owns a gun may open carry.

Really? I did not know that. I discussed this with Senator Dennis Pyle when I was still in KS (don't know if he still in office though) and he said he would look into it. Is this an amendment?

Very nice.