• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seattle city council maybe up to something.

jsanchez

I recieved a email form the Seattle city council's , Public Safety Committee, talking about changing Seattle Municipal code Title 12a, with Council Bill CB116931, Defining the types of weapons proscrisbed by the crimes of unlawful use of weapons and weapons in public places. I called all the members of the committee and left a phone message requesting info about what these proposed changes are. The chair of the committee is Tim Burgess 206-6848806, vice chair is Sally Bagshaw 206-684-8801, member Sally Clark 206-684-8802, and alternate member Brucell Harrel 206-684-8804. I left the message today Saturday, so I don't expect to here back untill monday. The meeting on this bill is on Wednesday Sept 15 at 930am at city hall. More to follow.

Dave_pro2a

I recieved a email form the Seattle city council's , Public Safety Committee, talking about changing Seattle Municipal code Title 12a, with Council Bill CB116931, Defining the types of weapons proscrisbed by the crimes of unlawful use of weapons and weapons in public places. I called all the members of the committee and left a phone message requesting info about what these proposed changes are. The chair of the committee is Tim Burgess 206-6848806, vice chair is Sally Bagshaw 206-684-8801, member Sally Clark 206-684-8802, and alternate member Brucell Harrel 206-684-8804. I left the message today Saturday, so I don't expect to here back untill monday. The meeting on this bill is on Wednesday Sept 15 at 930am at city hall. More to follow.

This McGinn guy is shaping up to be some kind of nut. He's managing to piss off just about every voter in the city, in some form or another... and Seattle just might be stupid enough to re-elect him.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
This is what I found for the proposal of change.

Section 9. Section 12A.14.010 of the Seattle Municipal Code is amended as follows:

12A.14.010 Definitions.

The following definitions apply in this chapter:

A. "Air gun" means any air pistol or air rifle designed to propel a BB, pellet or other projectile by the discharge of compressed air, carbon dioxide or other gas.

B. "Chako stick" means a device designed primarily as a weapon, consisting of two or more lengths of wood, metal, plastic or similar substance connected by wire, rope, chain or other means so as to allow free movement of a portion of the device while held in the hand and capable of being rotated in such a manner as to inflict injury upon a person by striking.

C. "Dangerous knife" means any fixed-blade knife and any other knife having a blade more than three and one-half inches (3 1/2") in length.

D. (( B. )) "Fixed-blade knife" means any knife, regardless of blade length, with a blade which is permanently open and does not fold, retract or slide into the handle of the knife, and includes any dagger, sword, bayonet, bolo knife, hatchet, axe, straight-edged razor, or razor blade not in a package, dispenser or shaving appliance.

E. (( C. )) "Firearm" means a weapon or device from which a projectile may be fired by an explosive such as gunpowder.

F. "Metal knuckles" means any device or instrument made wholly or partially of metal that is worn for purposes of offense or defense in or on the hand and that either protects the wearer's hand while striking a blow or increases the force of impact from the blow or injury to the person receiving the blow. The metal contained in the device may help support the hand or fist, provide a shield to protect it or consist of projections or studs which would contact the person receiving a blow.

G. (( D. )) "Personal protection spray device" means a commercially available dispensing device designed and intended for use in self-defense and containing a nonlethal sternutator or lacrimator agent, including but not limited to:

1. Tear gas, the active ingredient of which is either chloracetophenone (CN) or O-chlorobenzylidene malonotrile (CS); or

2. Other agent commonly known as mace, pepper mace, or pepper gas.

H. (( E. )) "Switchblade knife" means any knife having a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring mechanism, or other device, or a blade that opens, falls or is ejected into position by force of gravity or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement.

I. "Throwing star" means a multi-pointed metal object designed to embed upon impact from any aspect.

Section 10. Subsection A of Section 12A.14.080 of the Seattle Municipal Code is amended as follows:

12A.14.080 Unlawful use of weapons.

It is unlawful to a person knowingly to:

A. Sell, manufacture, purchase, possess or carry any blackjack, sand-club, metal knuckles, switchblade knife, chako stick (( sticks, )) or throwing star (( stars )); or

Section 11. This ordinance shall take effect and be in force thirty (30) days from and after its approval by the Mayor, but if not approved and returned by the Mayor within ten (10) days after presentation, it shall take effect as provided by Municipal Code Section 1.04.020.

Last edited:

jt59

Big D,

Which parts are amended? vs...what was already there?....or is this a whole new section in the code of definitions.

...Don't think that down and outward knife flipping thing for switch blades is scoped very well....

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
This is currently what they have on their website, you will have to go through and find the differences.

Seattle Municipal Code
Information retrieved September 11, 2010 6:29 PM

Title 12A - CRIMINAL CODE
Subtitle I Criminal Code
Chapter 12A.14 - Weapons Control

SMC 12A.14.010 Definitions.

The following definitions apply in this chapter:

A. "Dangerous knife" means any fixed-blade knife and any other knife having a blade more than three and one-half inches (3 1/2") in length.

B. "Fixed-blade knife" means any knife, regardless of blade length, with a blade which is permanently open and does not fold, retract or slide into the handle of the knife, and includes any dagger, sword, bayonet, bolo knife, hatchet, axe, straight-edged razor, or razor blade not in a package, dispenser or shaving appliance.

C. "Firearm" means a weapon or device from which a projectile may be fired by an explosive such as gunpowder.

D. "Personal protection spray device" means a commercially available dispensing device designed and intended for use in self-defense and containing a nonlethal sternutator or lacrimator agent, including but not limited to:

1. Tear gas, the active ingredient of which is either chloracetophenone (CN) or O-chlorobenzylidene malonotrile (CS); or

2. Other agent commonly known as mace, pepper mace, or pepper gas.

E. "Switchblade knife" means any knife having a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring mechanism, or other device, or a blade that opens, falls or is ejected into position by force of gravity or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement.

(Ord. 117157 Section 2, 1994; Ord. 116872 Section 11, 1993; Ord. 113547 Section 1, 1987; Ord. 112103 Section 1, 1985; Ord. 110785 Section 1, 1982: Ord. 110462 Section 1, 1982: Ord. 103472 Section 1, 1974: Ord. 102843 Section 12A.17.010, 1973.)

jsanchez

Golden Opprotunity!

The way things work at the public safety committee is that you can only talk about things that are on the agenda. And guns are on the agenda this week. First time in a long time. I think this is a perfect opprotunity to give our side of things, to say all the things that aren't said in the media, weren't said at Stienbrenner park when that anti gun group had their news conference about Starbucks. I know that 930am on a wed. is probably bad for everyone, but I am going to take the day off from work, and share some points with the anti gunners that seem to push there agenda here in Washington thru Seattle. I would appreciate any input from you all to share with these anti gunners to inform and god forbid sway them to our side. I wonder if there are some well learned people in our community that would come forward and speak.

Lante

I can't help it....

all those poor teens in Seattle, and every waiter / waitress who is in jeopardy of getting a criminal record.... no wonder there are so many vegetarians in Seattle....you can't use a steak knife.....

SMC 12A.14.010 Definitions.

"Dangerous knife" means any fixed-blade knife and any other knife having
a blade more than three and one-half inches (3 1/2") in length.

SMC 12A.14.080 Unlawful use of weapons.

"It is unlawful for a person knowingly to:...
....Carry concealed or unconcealed on his or her person any dangerous knife,.....
....for any person under eighteen (18) years of
age to possess any dangerous knife or deadly weapon other than a firearm
except when under the direct supervision of an adult."

G20-IWB24/7

E. "Switchblade knife" means any knife having a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring mechanism, or other device, or a blade that opens, falls or is ejected into position by force of gravity or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement.

I don't own a single-blade folder that I can't 'flip'-out with an 'outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement...' Hmmm...

devildoc5

Here is a picture of one of those "deadly" knives Seattle is trying to outlaw (or continue to outlaw):

knife.jpg

According to REI it has the following features:

• Featherweight 154CM stainless-steel blade is strong and sharp enough to slice through food, wire and ropes with ease
  • The strong, spring-loaded AXIS locking mechanism adjusts smoothly for ease of operation
  • Ambidextrous blade is keenly unleashed with a simple push of the thumb-stud openers
  • Resin handle is extremely lightweight and easy to grip
  • Reversible pocket clip makes storage and carry easy--just clip it on your pocket or belt and go!
  • Silky carrying sheath included
:question::question::question::question::question::question::question::question::question:

Last edited:

amlevin

I don't own a single-blade folder that I can't 'flip'-out with an 'outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement...' Hmmm...

It can be spring assisted, it just can't be opened totally by spring or gravity action. Most tactical knives sold today are right on the ragged edge of being "self opening". The operator has to start the process and there is no "button" or release mechanism like the switchblade.

jsanchez

Sorry for the false alarm everyone.

Turns out the council is just bringing SMC into line with RCW's. They are banning air guns, chaka sticks, metal knuckles, and throwing stars, nothing gun related. I am thinking about going and speaking about getting the no gun signs taken down at the community centers and parks, refering to SMC 18.12. Thanks BIG DAVE for the link to the SMC. I researched that section and found nothing on firearms. Does anyone know what the deal is with the signs.

Last edited:

jsanchez

I heard something about that but don't know the details.

I found signs at Seward park, and the Miller Comunity center on Capital hill. They did take down the one's at Green Lake.