• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Answering Customs Officials

since9

Campaign Veteran
Suggested reply, "I am cooperating to the full extent required by law. Is there a reason you are demanding extra-legal cooperation for which you have no authority?"

I do not agree with the article's comment, "By questioning the demands of government agents, of course, Lukacs was committing the crime of "escalation.""

First, Lukacs did not question the demands of government agents. He simply refused to answer their questions, as is his right to do so. In response, however, the customs agent has the authority to expand the list of questions from a few cursory ones into an a large notebook of them.

Therefore, to expedite, if someone really wants to adopt this practice (I don't recommend it), I would recommend saying the following: "Sir/Ma'am - I am a U.S. citizen. I have filled out the appropriate documentation and have presented you with a valid and current passport. May I please go now? I have somewhere I need to be." If they don't let you go, simply state, "I refuse to answer any further questions."

They have the authority to do a more substantial background check, including getting two or more people to verify database photos, and possibly even taking fingerprints (though I'm not sure as to the latter). That might take a while!

They do not have the authority to "force him to sit for two, three, four hours until he cools down." That's unlawful detainment and legal action can be taken in response.

Toad

Founder's Club Member
I have to say that it is extremely rare to get anything more than a " Good morning, afternoon, etc" and "Welcome home" from customs.
However on one occasion coming back from Germany, already irritated by a sinus infection I picked up while there, the customs agent for some reason found it odd that I didn't bring anything back. We went back and forth a bit until I finally told him that "all I brought back was a pocketful of change and a F'ing cold". He looked discussed as he stamped my passport and sent me on my way.
I really think their priorities are:
1: duties
2: nationality
3: if non-American, duties
4: if American, duties
5: proper papers
6: potential criminal (if paying duties then criminal status is OK)
7: Health concerns
8: duties

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP I finally told him that "all I brought back was a pocketful of change and a F'ing cold". He looked discussed as he stamped my passport and sent me on my way.

"Well, unless there is a duty on the common cold, I'm afraid I've nothing to declare except a moist hanky."

"All I brought back was this rare infection. It only affects travelers and Customs Agents."

:D

KansasMustang

Eye95, I'm not going to try and make this a personal attack but it'll probably seem that way. But it seems to me like you will allow yourself to be herded by appointed officials into doing whatever they desire and in violation of your God given rights. I for one will not allow any tyrannical bastards to take from me the self defense tools I have just because they think they are enforcing "the law". In my case especially as a Uniformed Armed Forces soldier under orders from the Dept of the Army, and he's gonna hassle me. Doesn't work for me.

eye95

Eye95, I'm not going to try and make this a personal attack but it'll probably seem that way. But it seems to me like you will allow yourself to be herded by appointed officials into doing whatever they desire and in violation of your God given rights. I for one will not allow any tyrannical bastards to take from me the self defense tools I have just because they think they are enforcing "the law". In my case especially as a Uniformed Armed Forces soldier under orders from the Dept of the Army, and he's gonna hassle me. Doesn't work for me.

Let me just recount my experience with being stopped and held for over two hours for legal OC. Maybe that will dispel the misinformation about me in the above post.

I was civil and polite with the LEO. He was civil and polite in return. I repeatedly stated that I did not consent to any of his actions. I also stated that I would not resist. After the event, I pursued the matter through the police department and the city attorney's office.

The city of Montgomery and the MPD changed their policy and training because of my encounter. The deputy chief apologized to me. The city attorney apologized to me.

Yes, I see your post as a personal attack. When one talks about the person, instead of the ideas, that is the very definition of ad hominem. When that talk is negative (not even wrong, as it is in this case, just negative), then it is an attack upon the person, usually with the motive to boost the credibility of the attacker. Couching it in the terms you did does not make it acceptable behavior. I expect better.

rodbender

Let me just recount my experience with being stopped and held for over two hours for legal OC. Maybe that will dispel the misinformation about me in the above post.

I was civil and polite with the LEO. He was civil and polite in return. I repeatedly stated that I did not consent to any of his actions. I also stated that I would not resist. After the event, I pursued the matter through the police department and the city attorney's office.

The city of Montgomery and the MPD changed their policy and training because of my encounter. The deputy chief apologized to me. The city attorney apologized to me.

Yes, I see your post as a personal attack. When one talks about the person, instead of the ideas, that is the very definition of ad hominem. When that talk is negative (not even wrong, as it is in this case, just negative), then it is an attack upon the person, usually with the motive to boost the credibility of the attacker. Couching it in the terms you did does not make it acceptable behavior. I expect better.

Nope, ain't gonna say it.

since9

Campaign Veteran
"Well, unless there is a duty on the common cold, I'm afraid I've nothing to declare except a moist hanky."

:lol:

"All I brought back was this rare infection. It only affects travelers and Customs Agents."

I'd be careful to state it was a "common cold." Otherwise they're likely to quaranteen you. :eek:

Toad, while living in Germany for nearly 4 years, I came back 3 times a year, for a total of 10 visits back to the states. Only once did I bring anything back, and never once did I have any trouble with customs. Then again, I preferred travelling on my military ID and leave paperwork instead of my passport... That sort of speeded things up. :) I don't think you can do that anymore, though.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
On my way back from Shanghai a couple of weeks ago I got this one question from a customs agent at O'Haire:

How are you today sir?

My reply:

Great now! I'm nearly home!

The agent promptly stamped my passport and I got the heck out of there.

Maybe they are easier on the people they know have been cooped up on an airplane for over 12 hours?

You know what's funny though? Out of the more than a dozen times I've been there, I've never been asked a single question at all when going through chinese customs. Not one. They look at the passport and visa, stamp it, and let you go.

OldCurlyWolf

Why were you in XXXXX? Business/vacation

anything to declare? Nada.

Those two questions should be all that is necessary to answer. The only one you are required to answer is the second one and then only by your declaration form.

Keep all answers short and simple. NO chit chat, that is a nervous habit and is a red flag.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Keep all answers short and simple. NO chit chat, that is a nervous habit and is a red flag.

I always took the "I'm to freakin tired to care" approach. Then again, I was travelling overseas, was usually up way too late the night before taking care of things like pre-paying phone bills, rent, taking care of garbage, leave paperwork, follow-on flight reservations for my son, accommodations at whatever location we were given, things to do around the local area, harrassing back and forth with child endangerment officials (who were actually on my side as the decree requires visitation and denial thereof is a form of parental kidnapping), similar conversations to grease the skids with the local sheriff, if it came to that... Thus, with 5 hrs of sleep and a reasonably hectic drive to the airport, faking my tiredness upon arrival in the US was totally out of the question!

It was usually along the lines of, "How are you?" "Ok, I guess. I've been up for 36 hours trying to ensure my visitation with my son goes off without a hitch. How are you?"

STAMP