• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC for NON citizen

Stogies

I am a very legal resident alien but I am not a citizen. Can I open carry at all? Technically the second amendment etc. does not necessarily apply to me.

sultan62

That doesn't change the fact that there are no laws you would be in violation of. It might be more of a risk, as there is still unfavorable police interaction, and you could still end up in court (as could a citizen.)

Also, you double-posted this thread. I'll submit it to the mod to delete the other thread, but it would probably help if you would also since you are the OP.

Stogies

Shoot, I did not intend to post it twice, after I entered it the first time it did not show up and I figured I must have inadvertently done something wrong. This may be a dumb question, but how do I delete it altogether?

sultan62

You can only delete the post. A mod has to delete the thread. You can report it by hitting the caution sign at the bottom left of the post.

Stogies

Done! As to the orginal question I think it would be wise for me to play it safe until I become a citizen and stay clear of the problem. Bringing something like this to a court strikes me as very risky given the reputation of courts for sometimes rather amazing decisions.

sultan62

That may be a good idea. I don't see you getting convicted on any charges, but court matters may make becoming a citizen more difficult. How long until you become a citizen? Also, is there a possibility for you getting a CHP?

mekender

So long as you can legally own or possess a gun in NC, you can openly carry it. There are no laws against it so therefore it is legal.

Last edited:

Stogies

I can not get a NC CCW permit but I can get a Utah permit which NC does recognize. I could become a citizen any old day but I would like to retain German citizenship and that requires some major jumping thru hoops... ;-)

Tom79G

Not sure where you live but I checked in NC forsyth co. and the sheriff advised me that If you are a perminent legal resident alien with a green card then it is legal for you to OC in North Carolina. He said you would not be able to a CC until you become a citizen.

Tom79G

The Bill of Rights does apply to you but it's still too bad that you can't get a CC. I think it's rediculious that you can OC but you can't CC. I'm not even sure why that is but sometimes the law just doesn't make much sense to me. All you can do is just follow it.

jdholmes

You can get a CC in Nevada as a legal resident - I am not sure about other states.

The OP was misinformed as to his rights as a legal resident - we have all the rights of a citizen, we just can't vote. Once you are a permanent resident even if he went to court he would not be treated differently than any other US resident/citizen - they don't deport you.

Also he was mistaken in regards to getting his citizenship, although a lot of people believe they have to give up their home citizenship in reality you do not.

In any case, it's an old post but I figured if someone else stumbled on it they might as well have some correct info on here.