• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are they conducting Warrantles Weapon Searches at PATCO Train Stations

Thundar

I heard that TSA was conducting searches at PATCO stations, including bag and k-9 searches looking for weapons. Any truth to this?

I wouldn't believe this except you know, Philly and New Jersey - anything is possible!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
A high speed train line between Southern New Jersey and Philadelphia

Jeezus! If I lived in either of those places, I wouldn't wanna visit the other. And I darned sure wouldn't wanna get there fast. Gimme the slow train. Gimme the old, tired, worn out freight train that "...stops at all RR Xings".

'Course, I might be a little prejudiced toward VA.

Thanks for clearing it up for me.

KBCraig

I heard that TSA was conducting searches at PATCO stations, including bag and k-9 searches looking for weapons. Any truth to this?

I wouldn't believe this except you know, Philly and New Jersey - anything is possible!
http://www.courierpostonline.com/article/20100908/NEWS01/9080330/PATCO-riders-undergo-search

LINDENWOLD — A swarm of DRPA police officers, uniformed screeners from the federal Transportation Security Administration and an explosives-sniffing K-9 greeted commuters at the Lindenwold PATCO station Tuesday morning, the first of what will be routine random searches of riders, their bags and vehicles.

After a lazy three-day weekend, the commotion took Kevin Greczyn, a regular PATCO commuter into Philadelphia, by surprise.

"It was chaotic," said the accountant from Magnolia. "Nobody was sure what was happening, whether it was safe to get on the train, or whether we were carrying something we shouldn't be.

"There were no guidelines, so we had no idea if something was illegal today that was legal yesterday,"

Between 6 and 10 a.m., about 12 TSA workers at Lindenwold screened 663 bags randomly selected from the morning rush, said Delaware River Port Authority Police Chief David McClintock.

"To my knowledge, the only item they confiscated was a crack pipe," he said. "That guy was arrested because a warrant was out for his arrest in Atlantic City. Screeners also found a fishing knife in a bag, but they decided there was no reason to keep it."

Contrary to some of the comments at that article, PATCO is not private property. It is owned and operated by the Delaware River Port Authority, a bi-state government agency created by Congress.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
The only legally-carried firearms you'd most likely find being carried on a PATCO train would be someone carrying under the authority of LEOSA.

Pa. LTCFs aren't valid in N.J. N.J. rarely, if ever, issues carry licenses. And, if they did, Pa. wouldn't honor them.

Thundar