Thread: Interesting little 9/11 Memorial in Russia

Interesting little 9/11 Memorial in Russia

I thought I would mention this because it was one of those touching experiences you'll never forget. I am currently taking some language courses abroad in Russia funded by Uncle Sam and I spent most of the day thinking about 9/11 and remembering when I first heard the news. I remembered that day when I decided that I was going to devote my future career to serving our republic in exchange for all the freedoms it's provided me that others do not have.

Well I went to meet some Russian friends at a local bar, and when I got to the table I noticed they had a small shot of Vodka in the middle of table with piece of black bread on top of the shot. I thought this was strange as usually this is done when a friend as recently died (specifically in war). They explained to me that they knew what day it was and they too remember being shocked at what occurred in our country. They explained wanted to mourn with me the loss of those Americans that were murdered at the hands of Islamic extremists.

Of course I was shocked that they had thought about it, but they explained they too had lost citizens at the hands of Islamic extremists a few months ago in the Moscow subway bombings and other terrorist attacks. So we all raised our glasses in toast and remembrance to those innocents who were murdered that day and prayed that God would guide both our countries to a future free of extremist violence.

I know it's a bit off topic, but it was a very special experience of kindness and understanding that I thought I would share with all of you. There are all kinds of political issues between Russia and the U.S, but today....it seemed like it didn't matter. We were all as one in mourning for those who died on 9/11.

Be sure to give to give a toast in remembrance. Hope to be back home soon.
    Last edited by trooper46; 09-11-2010 at 04:54 PM.

Nastrovia!

Quote Originally Posted by trooper46 View Post
    I thought I would mention this because it was one of those touching experiences you'll never forget. I am currently taking some language courses abroad in Russia funded by Uncle Sam and I spent most of the day thinking about 9/11 and remembering when I first heard the news. I remembered that day when I decided that I was going to devote my future career to serving our republic in exchange for all the freedoms it's provided me that others do not have.

Well I went to meet some Russian friends at a local bar, and when I got to the table I noticed they had a small shot of Vodka in the middle of table with piece of black bread on top of the shot. I thought this was strange as usually this is done when a friend as recently died (specifically in war). They explained to me that they knew what day it was and they too remember being shocked at what occurred in our country. They explained wanted to mourn with me the loss of those Americans that were murdered at the hands of Islamic extremists.

Of course I was shocked that they had thought about it, but they explained they too had lost citizens at the hands of Islamic extremists a few months ago in the Moscow subway bombings and other terrorist attacks. So we all raised our glasses in toast and remembrance to those innocents who were murdered that day and prayed that God would guide both our countries to a future free of extremist violence.

I know it's a bit off topic, but it was a very special experience of kindness and understanding that I thought I would share with all of you. There are all kinds of political issues between Russia and the U.S, but today....it seemed like it didn't matter. We were all as one in mourning for those who died on 9/11.

+10

Enjoy your time with friends and remember the fallen.

-MH

Quote Originally Posted by trooper46 View Post

+10

Founder's Club Member PrayingForWar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Archsgurl View Post
    +10
    Ditto
    If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training. You will become a minister of death, PRAYING FOR WAR...

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Touching story, I'm glad you shared.

Thank you for sharing.

I got together with friends on 9/11/2006 to just be with one another and ponder the previous five years. One of their friends was Russian, and he joined us. He didn't speak but a few words of English, but as the five of us sat down, he pulled out the bottle, shot glasses, bread, and said somberly, "My bottle, our bottle. My bread, our bread. Your heartbreak, our heartbreak."

None of us toasted with dry eyes.

I am sad about the cold war. Most Americans aren't aware of the great sacrifice of Russians in WWII, who lost more people (27 million) than any other nation, and almost half of all 60 million deaths combined. It's a shame a few key leaders on both sides allowed things to degenerate into the Cold War.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    It's a shame a few key leaders on both sides allowed things to degenerate into the Cold War.
    Perhaps you should read more history before saying something that seems to equate American leaders to Soviet leadership. American governments didn't go on to kill tens of millions of its own people in peacetime, that Soviet leadership did. Its really sad that the Russians, Ukrainians, and the people in other eastern bloc countries suffered under such murderous leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by Daylen View Post
    American governments didn't go on to kill tens of millions of its own people in peacetime, that Soviet leadership did. Its really sad that the Russians, Ukrainians, and the people in other eastern bloc countries suffered under such murderous leadership.
    Good point. Had these murderous communistic expansions not taken place, we would not have been involved in either Korea or Viet Nam.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.