• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting little 9/11 Memorial in Russia

trooper46

I thought I would mention this because it was one of those touching experiences you'll never forget. I am currently taking some language courses abroad in Russia funded by Uncle Sam and I spent most of the day thinking about 9/11 and remembering when I first heard the news. I remembered that day when I decided that I was going to devote my future career to serving our republic in exchange for all the freedoms it's provided me that others do not have.

Well I went to meet some Russian friends at a local bar, and when I got to the table I noticed they had a small shot of Vodka in the middle of table with piece of black bread on top of the shot. I thought this was strange as usually this is done when a friend as recently died (specifically in war). They explained to me that they knew what day it was and they too remember being shocked at what occurred in our country. They explained wanted to mourn with me the loss of those Americans that were murdered at the hands of Islamic extremists.

Of course I was shocked that they had thought about it, but they explained they too had lost citizens at the hands of Islamic extremists a few months ago in the Moscow subway bombings and other terrorist attacks. So we all raised our glasses in toast and remembrance to those innocents who were murdered that day and prayed that God would guide both our countries to a future free of extremist violence.

I know it's a bit off topic, but it was a very special experience of kindness and understanding that I thought I would share with all of you. There are all kinds of political issues between Russia and the U.S, but today....it seemed like it didn't matter. We were all as one in mourning for those who died on 9/11.

Be sure to give to give a toast in remembrance. Hope to be back home soon.

Last edited:

March Hare

Nastrovia!

I thought I would mention this because it was one of those touching experiences you'll never forget. I am currently taking some language courses abroad in Russia funded by Uncle Sam and I spent most of the day thinking about 9/11 and remembering when I first heard the news. I remembered that day when I decided that I was going to devote my future career to serving our republic in exchange for all the freedoms it's provided me that others do not have.

Well I went to meet some Russian friends at a local bar, and when I got to the table I noticed they had a small shot of Vodka in the middle of table with piece of black bread on top of the shot. I thought this was strange as usually this is done when a friend as recently died (specifically in war). They explained to me that they knew what day it was and they too remember being shocked at what occurred in our country. They explained wanted to mourn with me the loss of those Americans that were murdered at the hands of Islamic extremists.

Of course I was shocked that they had thought about it, but they explained they too had lost citizens at the hands of Islamic extremists a few months ago in the Moscow subway bombings and other terrorist attacks. So we all raised our glasses in toast and remembrance to those innocents who were murdered that day and prayed that God would guide both our countries to a future free of extremist violence.

I know it's a bit off topic, but it was a very special experience of kindness and understanding that I thought I would share with all of you. There are all kinds of political issues between Russia and the U.S, but today....it seemed like it didn't matter. We were all as one in mourning for those who died on 9/11.

+10

Enjoy your time with friends and remember the fallen.

-MH

Archsgurl

+10

since9

Campaign Veteran
Thank you for sharing.

I got together with friends on 9/11/2006 to just be with one another and ponder the previous five years. One of their friends was Russian, and he joined us. He didn't speak but a few words of English, but as the five of us sat down, he pulled out the bottle, shot glasses, bread, and said somberly, "My bottle, our bottle. My bread, our bread. Your heartbreak, our heartbreak."

None of us toasted with dry eyes.

I am sad about the cold war. Most Americans aren't aware of the great sacrifice of Russians in WWII, who lost more people (27 million) than any other nation, and almost half of all 60 million deaths combined. It's a shame a few key leaders on both sides allowed things to degenerate into the Cold War.

Daylen

It's a shame a few key leaders on both sides allowed things to degenerate into the Cold War.

Perhaps you should read more history before saying something that seems to equate American leaders to Soviet leadership. American governments didn't go on to kill tens of millions of its own people in peacetime, that Soviet leadership did. Its really sad that the Russians, Ukrainians, and the people in other eastern bloc countries suffered under such murderous leadership.

since9

Campaign Veteran
American governments didn't go on to kill tens of millions of its own people in peacetime, that Soviet leadership did. Its really sad that the Russians, Ukrainians, and the people in other eastern bloc countries suffered under such murderous leadership.

Good point. Had these murderous communistic expansions not taken place, we would not have been involved in either Korea or Viet Nam.