• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

3 Women attacked by dogs saved by 2 neighbors with guns

rotty

His gun jammed ? Wow that could not have been a good feeling. Thank god for the other neighbor.

Good work to both of them, quick thinking most likely saved their lives.

Ruby

Thank God for the gun owners and their quick thinking.

All three women should sue the sh!t out of the dogs' owners. Surely the owners were aware of their dogs' dispositions. The dog owners will likely end up losing eveything, including their homes, in the civil suits and they are most likely facing criminal charges. All over a dog. How stupid and insane to even own a vicious dog. I feel so sorry for all of the women, especially the one who was seriously injured and may never work again. Another good reason to carry a gun; sometimes the BG has four legs instead of two.

bullseye

Campaign Veteran
Thank God for the gun owners and their quick thinking.

All three women should sue the sh!t out of the dogs' owners. Surely the owners were aware of their dogs' dispositions. The dog owners will likely end up losing eveything, including their homes, in the civil suits and they are most likely facing criminal charges. All over a dog. How stupid and insane to even own a vicious dog. I feel so sorry for all of the women, especially the one who was seriously injured and may never work again. Another good reason to carry a gun; sometimes the BG has four legs instead of two.

I'd venture that you could hear the exact opposite statement from an anti who desires to own animals for their protective needs. Just substitute "DOG" for "GUN" and they'd make the exact opposite argument. The stupidity/insanity is not in owning something, but in how one is responsible with the things they own. "With great freedom comes great responsibility"

Just my $.02

Last edited:

zack991

I'd venture that you could hear the exact opposite statement from an anti who desires to own animals for their protective needs. Just substitute "DOG" for "GUN" and they'd make the exact opposite argument. The stupidity/insanity is not in owning something, but in how one is responsible with the things they own. "With great freedom comes great responsibility"

Just my $.02

Agreed i own a pit bull and she has been the best dog i have ever owned. I am extremely responsible with her because she is a very strong breed. The owners of these three dogs need to see jail time. Any animal you own you NEED to be held accountable for everything they do. Good and bad, make the punishment for bad owners of all breeds strict and put these idiot owners away for a few years.

Last edited:

rmansu2

My wife used to give me hell about carrying my pistol when we walk. One night we had a pitbull come straight at us out of the tall grass lining the road and the first thing she did was jump behind me. Then she decided to walk alone one night and was bit by a dog that had dug out of his yard. Now she doesn't have a problem with me carrying but still doesn't like me to OC.

confedneck

we used to push our girls in a stroller through our old neighborhood, well gang banger j and his brother t couldn't keep their pitbulls under control, so I carried a 2x4, a 5/8" x 30" piece of chain, a .38 revolver and a glock, usually all together... i only had to threaten the dog with the chain, and J with the revolver once, for them to buy leashes

Aaron1124

Just my $.02

+1

OldCurlyWolf

Something was very wrong in the situation before the woman was attacked. For a bull mastiff to lead an attack like that is almost unheard of.

A bull mastiff is one of the most gentle breeds available. Usually the only exception to that is when they are protecting their family. Then they can do a lot of damage.

Aaron1124

Something was very wrong in the situation before the woman was attacked. For a bull mastiff to lead an attack like that is almost unheard of.

A bull mastiff is one of the most gentle breeds available. Usually the only exception to that is when they are protecting their family. Then they can do a lot of damage.

Unfortunately, it's hard to generalize all breeds.. I use to have a Newfoundland - known for being a gentle giant. He was very aggressive and very mean. I got him when he was 8 months old, and by that time, he was already over 110 lbs. Too powerful of a dog, and sure as hell not an easy task to conquer. I had to move him along to someone who had the proper time for his training. If I kept him, someone would have been hurt. No kidding at all.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
PPK is known to jam on JHP rounds if the hollow is at a sharp angle.

Good reason to wring out your sidearm/long gun with whatever you wish to use to make sure it digests it well. That old saw abiut running 200 rounds through before declaring the gun/ammo combination good-to-go is repeated for a reason.

As for shooting dogs - that's hard enough at any distance. They are small, they move around a lot, and their bite is dangerous. Getting close enough to get an effective first shot takes courage.

stay safe.

X

XxCaMeLxxToSiSxX

Just my $.02

I agree comletely, having owned large breed dogs, it's the owners reponsiblity.

OldCurlyWolf

Unfortunately, it's hard to generalize all breeds.. I use to have a Newfoundland - known for being a gentle giant. He was very aggressive and very mean. I got him when he was 8 months old, and by that time, he was already over 110 lbs. Too powerful of a dog, and sure as hell not an easy task to conquer. I had to move him along to someone who had the proper time for his training. If I kept him, someone would have been hurt. No kidding at all.

I have dealt with two aggressive Newfoundlands before. They were just being territorial. After their owner arrived, no problem.

I had a shepard who was whelped from a pair in which the male had to be kept caged. He was named Wolf. Ours was very territorial, but we raised him gentle and I was the big bad alpha male of the pack. When I had to give to the wife's uncle because we moved, he was about 10 months and weighed about 100 lbs.

The uncle claimed that he topped out at about 175 and was not fat.

He also claimed that he brought a state trooper to a complete halt.

Last edited:

COMMANDER1911

Even the gentlest of dogs can become aggressive and violent if abused from an early age. I've known pits that were extremely loving, and I've seen a golden retriever attack. So i believe it's all in the raising

eye95

Accidents happen with .22s and with 50 cals. They are also misused. Both can kill. Both can do minor damage.

Expect more and problems when a 50 cal goes off in the direction of a human being.

Pits are the 50 cals of the kennel set.