• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good OC day

joejoejoe

Went out to run some errands today. Went to Office Depot (on Hazel Dell Ave.) for some printer goods. Got up to the register and the gentleman behind the counter kept looking at my hip. Once he rang up all my stuff he says, "are you over 21?" I said "Yeah... why do I need to be 21?" He grabs the can of air and holds it up, then he says, "kids use these days to get high apparently." So I showed him my ID. He then began laughing about all the things people say kids do with a can of air. I exited without any issues. I went to Subway right next door, and I got in the long line and waited for my sub. I think all the employees are familiar with me there now. They usually hand me a bag and says "Thanks" as they turn around and walk off. Today, they put the food on a tray and said "enjoy your lunch." Of course I asked for a bag because I was leaving.. lol. Then I went to Fred Meyers on HWY 99 and got curtain stuff for my new house. No issues.

I am at the point where I am not "nervous" to walk into places now. I don't think everyone is staring at me. Now I am at the point where I think, "just don't kick me out please." But... no nervousness. :)

All in all, it was a good day.

Joe~

Jerigo

Are you talking about the Fred Meyers at Hwy 99 & 78th? I like hearing stories about other people OCing locally, gives me a general idea of "go to" stores if I ever need a "back up", haha.

Getting kicked out has been my biggest concern with an occasional "people are staring" itch, but I think that's mostly caused by the nervousness of my girlfriend, haha, because carrying actually makes me feel more comfortable when I'm without her.

I think you've been OCing for about a month or so longer than me, so it makes for an interesting comparison. :)

joejoejoe

Yeah, the one on 78th st. Hey, are you coming to the BBQ on the 25th? You will get some more local stories there :)

Joe~

Jerigo

As long as nothing gets in the way, I should definitely be there. I intend to drag my girlfriend along as well so that she can be among other people who OC, hear their stories, and become more comfortable with the idea, rather than just assuming I'm one of the only people in Couve who do given how rare it is, but I guess that's why they call 'em unicorns.

I've convinced my Dad to come along as well. He use to be an NRA member and open carried quite a bit, but at one point simply stopped doing it until recently when I got my gun, now he's been considering OCing again.

sudden valley gunner

OC'ing becomes very natural after a little while.
The more you carry the more people will see it as normal themselves and then you have accomplished the main goal of this site.

Keep up the good work!!

Jerigo

My old man and I went to Jantzen Beach (Mariners and Dicks Sporting Good). I haven't looked into the gun laws in Oregon so we didn't carry into these stores and instead left our guns/holsters tucked under the backseat of our jeep.

We then traveled back to home state up to Brightwater Ventures only to find out they're closed until Monday (hopefully doesn't get extended again, not sure what's up). From there we went to Ducks since my little brother has never been in there. The female (older lady) cashier acted a little nervous around us open carrying, but the older gent accompanying her with a dog welcomed us with a smile that widened upon sight of my XD.

Shot over to Wholesale Sports because my step-son needed to use the restroom, so we carried through out various areas of the store without a problem. Mostly just cursory glances from customers, and once from a older guy behind the gun counter. Couldn't tell if his expression was a disapproving one, or just the regular one he usually wears, though (lol). NRA had a stand set up there at the entrance so we stood around and talked with them a bit about guns and current events.

Stopped by Harbor Freight for our last stop and walked through out the store without a problem. Got a double-look from one of the female customers there that was waiting in line, but other than that there was no problem and the cashier was extremely friendly with us.

joejoejoe

OC'ing becomes very natural after a little while.
The more you carry the more people will see it as normal themselves and then you have accomplished the main goal of this site.

Keep up the good work!!

Well being able to share my experiences on this site helps too. The more I share, the more it becomes like an adventure... kinda... lol. If something bad happens (like I get asked to leave in front of 12 people - like at Trader Joe's - or if an LEO stops me), I can come here and share it for advice on how to properly respond. If I get in mis-labeled legal trouble, I know there is a lot of support here.

Also, Jerigo, I do not OC in Oregon anywhere because I hate the state and too many people get shot up by cops there. I would rather just OC. Actually, I hate Oregon all together. That is why I shop, live, go to school, and often work in Washington.

Joe~

Jerigo

Also, Jerigo, I do not OC in Oregon anywhere because I hate the state and too many people get shot up by cops there. I would rather just OC. Actually, I hate Oregon all together. That is why I shop, live, go to school, and often work in Washington.

Joe~

I usually try to refrain from crossing the bridge, but Mariners is a good store and we were picking up some fishing gear for catfishing tomorrow.

Semi-had my first negative experience just a little bit ago. Girlfriend decided on a last minute trip to the Dollar Tree over on Hazel Dell Ave. OC'd throughout the entire store without a problem. We got in line at the cashier and a fellow a few people ahead of me attempted to tell the cashier without me noticing that "There's a guy with a gun over there. Guns scare me.". I continued to smile and pretended not to notice in spite of the glares he was shooting my way. Cashier told him that guns scare her some times as well, but that I had the right to carry.

He tried to escalate the situation a bit by informing her I was carrying a 45, when in fact I carry an XD9 in a Blackhawk Serpa holster. I think my acting friendly and keeping my composure disarmed the cashier a bit because she was less nervous by the time she was done ringing up my items, and even smiled to us as we were leaving.

Edit: We also stopped by Walmart on Hwy 99. OC'd through there without incident.

Last edited:

joejoejoe

Good to know about the walmart. I hear stories about walmarts being iffy the second you enter into it. I live right next to that one. I haven't been in there yet, so thanks for the pioneering :) Also, some cashiers I approach get nervous until I hand them my cash. Then I think they just realize I am only there to shop, and they treat me like all other customers. Way to handle it nicely. Maybe go in there a couple times to raise OC awareness ;)

Joe~

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Oregon

I recently went to OR and OC'd to almost every store in Cannon Beach. I did have one clerk ask me why I was carrying, at first I thought it was going to be negative. Then I noticed his NRA logo watch, he was an old timer that was unaware of OR (or a lot of states) allowing OC. So I gave him one of our OR OC pamphlets and we had a nice talk. There are a few cities in OR that don't allow OC, Portland being one of them.

joejoejoe

I thought OC was legal in Portland, they just had a lot more restrictions. I know of the guys on forum lives in Portland and just recently OCed there. Anywho, that is the very reason I don't OC in Oregon.. it is not a preemptive state.

Joe~

Jerigo

Good to know about the walmart. I hear stories about walmarts being iffy the second you enter into it. I live right next to that one. I haven't been in there yet, so thanks for the pioneering :)

I think that one is safe to go into. I went back in there this morning (around 9) to get some worms and beverage. Entered front entrance, went back towards sporting section, paid, then back towards front entrance (was accompanied by a few other people). Had no problems and the cashier (older gent usually only in that area) didn't even seem to notice.