• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just found out that Open Carry was legal...

nuc65

Activist Member
Not sure why I wrote that but I mean Open carrying in general, my friends had no idea about this as well. But I have been to court before and again coming up soon, how would I know if I am able to OC? Im not on probation but my next charge might put me on it. [None of these charges are violence related]

I'm guessing you should probably talk to your attorney and let him spell it out, but if you have made bad decisions then odds are it wouldn't be wise to go around carrying something that might make you want to make more bad decisions.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Welcome! and what law? :D I wouldn't OC a black powerd gun.

Racism! Tsk, tsk, tsk. :)

And, be careful about criticizing black powder guns, too. I've come across some references to the effect that the Ruger Old Army cap-and-ball revolver has the muzzle energy of a .38+P. :)

Last edited:

MSC 45ACP

My thoughts exactly, nuc65. When we went from the 1911 to the Beretta 92, many of us said "Why shoot at something with 15 rounds if you can't hit it with 7?"

I carry my 7-round Kimber with complete confidence that it will get the job done when and/or if it becomes necessary. I usually carry A (as one ONE) spare magazine, but not always. If you need more than 14 rounds, then either you really shouldn't be going where you did or your marksmanship REALLY stinks. There may be a very few instances where you MIGHT need more ammo (Va Tech, Columbine, etc), but even that's up to you and your marksmanship abilities.

vtme_grad98

A person who answers "yes" to any of the below questions may be prohibited from purchasing or possessing a firearm pursuant to state and/or federal law.

Are you under indictment for a felony offense?

Reading off the 4473 isn't really accurate. That lists the things that prohibit you from buying from a dealer. Being charged with a felony doesn't prohibit you from owning firearms; it just prohibits you from buying one until the charges are dropped.

ocholsteroc

My thoughts exactly, nuc65. When we went from the 1911 to the Beretta 92, many of us said "Why shoot at something with 15 rounds if you can't hit it with 7?"

I carry my 7-round Kimber with complete confidence that it will get the job done when and/or if it becomes necessary. I usually carry A (as one ONE) spare magazine, but not always. If you need more than 14 rounds, then either you really shouldn't be going where you did or your marksmanship REALLY stinks. There may be a very few instances where you MIGHT need more ammo (Va Tech, Columbine, etc), but even that's up to you and your marksmanship abilities.

I heard a story where a off duty LEO was at a mall, carrying his 1911 and 7 rounds no extra magazines. A guy came in the mall with a ak 47 and started shooting at everyone, The off duty LEO pulled out his 1911 and started shooting to keep the gun man down so that the people could escape the mall. The cop ran out of ammo because he only had 7 rounds and no extra magazines. That is all I heard of the story I do not know how it ended.

Just my .02 cents why you could carry extra ammo. Be prepared and hope you never have to use it.

Last edited:

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
I heard a story where a off duty LEO was at a mall, carrying his 1911 and 7 rounds no extra magazines. A guy came in the mall with a ak 47 and started shooting at everyone, The off duty LEO pulled out his 1911 and started shooting to keep the gun man down so that the people could escape the mall. The cop ran out of ammo because he only had 7 rounds and no extra magazines. That is all I heard of the story I do not know how it ended.

Just my .02 cents why you could carry extra ammo. Be prepared and hope you never have to use it.

I carry spare mags in my truck but rarely on my person. My Glock 23 has 15 rounds of .40 in it and hopefully I can get out of any situation with that.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

I carry my 7-round Kimber with complete confidence that it will get the job done when and/or if it becomes necessary.

Well, under that rationale, I am sure you will be happy to change to a Smith or Ruger .357 magnum. I mean, really. If you can't get it done with six, why carry seven? :)

Plus, the .357 magnum has a very, very good record of one-shot stops on bad guys with the 125 gr. hollow-point. Not 100%, of course. But, slightly better than the .45 acp.

:)

(arguments and criticisms begin in 5...4...3... :))

Last edited:

MSC 45ACP

Funny you mention that, Citizen... I'm very interested in my next pistol: Ruger LCR -357. I've read a lot about it. May be a little "snappy", but I think it will do as a BUG or primary.

Jero1987

The way I see it is why limit yourself? You obviously don't have to go to the extreme of carrying 33rnd stick mags, but just because my Glock 17 holds 18 rounds doesn't mean I have to use them all.

IMHO carry as much as you can reasonably carry and just pray you never have to use a single round.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The way I see it is why limit yourself? You obviously don't have to go to the extreme of carrying 33rnd stick mags, but just because my Glock 17 holds 18 rounds doesn't mean I have to use them all.

IMHO carry as much as you can reasonably carry and just pray you never have to use a single round.

It's a personal decision and one that needs to be made on need Vs reality. First, we aren't cops that need to keep the BG's heads down. The more shots fired the harder it is to explain.

I don't like auto's. My burb gun is a 1911 and even though I own other auto's, it's the only one I'll carry for serious business. I rarely carry extra mags on me but like Proshooter, have them in the truck.

I do carry a Taser almost religiously. I also carry Bear spray often and those two things are a lot more likely to get used than spare ammo.

My walking around guns are 44 magnums and one 44 Special that I am fond of. If I feel the need I'll carry a speed loader or two.

I also have BFR's in 45LC/410 and 45/70. Big guns stop fights without a lot of extra shooting.

You can carry all the ammo you want but the more it weighs, the more tempted I am to just not carry at all.

I had a friend who left food and other items out of his pack while on ambush, so he could carry extra ammo. One time he actually had 1600 rounds with him. He wasn't going to get killed because he was out.:D:D He didn't either but that's a little extreme for a trip to Walmart..