Thread: traveling to Texas

traveling to Texas

i will be in Texas (Houston area) for a business trip near the end of this month. i don't CC and i know OC is out of the question.

on the other hand i would like to know about the law pertaining to a handgun in a vehicle and possibly any law regarding hotel rooms. are these locales covered under any Castle Doctrine y'all have?

thanks in advance and i'm looking forward to visiting your fine state.
    I'm the one who's gotta die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

NRA Benefactor Member & 03 FFL

You can carry in your vehicle unlicensed as long as it's out of sight. Doesn't matter if it's loaded or in reach.

Texas castle doctrine is stand your ground and isn't limited to just your home, but anywhere that you legally allowed to be. Like a hotel room that you are renting.

Pretty sure that all of the laws relevant to your question can be found here: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/Interne...rms/CHL-16.pdf

If you're going to be around for Sat, Oct 2nd, I'd like to invite you to our local IDPA match. It's on the west side. Info can be found at www.whidpa.com. Let me know if you need ammo, holster etc and we'll set you up!

thanks to both rodbender and Jack House for the most excellent links. they are exactly what i was looking for.

mark-in-texas.....thanks for the invite. if i have the free time i will most certainly consider joining in.
    I'm the one who's gotta die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Broondog View Post
    thanks to both rodbender and Jack House for the most excellent links. they are exactly what i was looking for.

mark-in-texas.....thanks for the invite. if i have the free time i will most certainly consider joining in.
    You are quite welcome, sir.

Rodbender

What kind of rod? Reinforcing, welding or fishing.

I see you have met Hiram, also.

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

Quote Originally Posted by OldCurlyWolf View Post
    What kind of rod? Reinforcing, welding or fishing.

I see you have met Hiram, also.

Actually, it refers to connecting rods.

Yes, I have done some travelling.

another question.....

does Texas law override corporate anti-gun policy in regards to employee vehicles on company parking lots?

in other words, can i have a legal gun in my car at work (by state law) even though my company's policy normally says no? some states have enacted such legislation. i sure wish MO would.
    Jimi Hendrix

another question.....

does Texas law override corporate anti-gun policy in regards to employee vehicles on company parking lots?

in other words, can i have a legal gun in my car at work (by state law) even though my company's policy normally says no? some states have enacted such legislation. i sure wish MO would.
    No.

Edit: If there is no valid 30.06 sign, and your company doesn't search the car, then you should be fine. But, IANAL.
    Last edited by Jack House; 09-17-2010 at 02:56 AM.

another question.....

No. If the employer says no employee guns on their property, then there should be no employee guns on their property. This is one of the things that they tried to get passed last session and ran out of time. I wouldn't imagine that the 30.06 sign needs to be in place for employees. IANAL either

Well no, but I was talking about breaking company vs breaking the law. If you get caught, you can get fired, but I don't think you will face legal troubles absent a 30.06. But again, IDK. And it might not be worth risking your job. *shrugs*

thanks guys for the info. the "gun in car on company property" thing was mostly a curiosity as i won't be driving much (carpool thing).

MO doesn't usurp corporate policy on "car gun rights" either but i do it anyway. my boss knows what kind of guy i am so i suspect that he figures i always have one in the truck, but it's kinda like don't ask / don't tell. i do my job very well and don't carry inside the building so it's just left at that.

seeing as how i'll be at another store with another boss in another state where things could be "by the book" i was curious how far i could go.
    Jimi Hendrix

thanks guys for the info. the "gun in car on company property" thing was mostly a curiosity as i won't be driving much (carpool thing).

MO doesn't usurp corporate policy on "car gun rights" either but i do it anyway. my boss knows what kind of guy i am so i suspect that he figures i always have one in the truck, but it's kinda like don't ask / don't tell. i do my job very well and don't carry inside the building so it's just left at that.

seeing as how i'll be at another store with another boss in another state where things could be "by the book" i was curious how far i could go.
    Don't ask don't tell sounds good to me. Just watch other employees so you don't get caught and they can't tell.