Thread: can I transport a firearm through ny state?

can I transport a firearm through ny state?

I was wondering if I can lawfully travel through ny state with a handgun and if so what the lawful and legal way to transport would be, thanks!

Acording to NY state law that conflicts with federal law, no. But in reality you can certainly go through NYS with a gun perfectly legally. Its got to be unloaded & stowed out of reach, away from ammunition.

Federal law says that you can go through any state regardless of that states laws as long as you can legally posess the pistol on both ends of your journey.

Just be aware that if caught you will get arrested & need to prove your case in court. Chances are good you will not see the gun again either.

Quote Originally Posted by Leverdude View Post
    Acording to NY state law that conflicts with federal law, no. But in reality you can certainly go through NYS with a gun perfectly legally. Its got to be unloaded & stowed out of reach, away from ammunition.

Federal law says that you can go through any state regardless of that states laws as long as you can legally posess the pistol on both ends of your journey.

Just be aware that if caught you will get arrested & need to prove your case in court. Chances are good you will not see the gun again either.
    Separate from ammo is not part of the federal statute.

Quote Originally Posted by kyleplusitunes View Post
    I was wondering if I can lawfully travel through ny state with a handgun and if so what the lawful and legal way to transport would be, thanks!
    Federal law permits it. I vacation in Maine every summer (I have a Maine non-res CCL) and you can't exactly go around NYS... Just be sure to keep a copy of the federal law and make sure all firearms are unloaded in a locked case, with all ammo locked up in a separate case in your trunk. You also still have 5th Amendment rights if stopped, so keep that in mind. Also, if your place of origin and destination are both legal i.e. Pennsylvania and Maine then you are fine.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18...6---A000-.html
    Last edited by pro2A; 09-26-2010 at 11:46 AM.

Best way to get around NY with a gun....

Step #1: Buy a boat.
    Step #2: Sail out to international waters.
    Step #3:Sail past NY and land in your intended state.

or go through Canada with the appropriate paperwork.

These are easier.....