Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defenseless animals shot by open carriers... (Dove hunting season is open)

Defenseless animals shot by open carriers... (Dove hunting season is open)

.....on the first day of dove season. Just a reminder to everyone that hunting season is open again. Many folks who don't normally OC will have various firearms in their vehicles or about their persons. Just a situational awarness advisory. I left a dove hunt on opening day when some of the participants cracked their third beer.

Let's all be safe out there!

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat10k View Post
    .....on the first day of dove season. Just a reminder to everyone that hunting season is open again. Many folks who don't normally OC will have various firearms in their vehicles or about their persons. Just a situational awarness advisory. I left a dove hunt on opening day when some of the participants cracked their third beer.

The ignorant can be taught however, you can’t fix stupid.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Your title is of this thread is very misleading.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Sorry Ed, I agree

but I made you look! In the counties I frequent in the Central VA area, lots of folks are now carrying guns in their vehicles and about their persons that were not being carried a month ago.

I just wanted to get that point out and also a "dig" at my "friends" who were drinking while shooting. I know your stance on that. I enjoy my beers immensely, but not while handling firearms.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    but I made you look! In the counties I frequent in the Central VA area, lots of folks are now carrying guns in their vehicles and about their persons that were not being carried a month ago.

I just wanted to get that point out and also a "dig" at my "friends" who were drinking while shooting. I know your stance on that. I enjoy my beers immensely, but not while handling firearms.
    +1

I have yet to meet a truly defenseless animal. They may not have a defense against a gun most have some form of defense.
    That being said I myself am getting ready to join in the hunting crowds out here in Wyoming, and although I have not yet met any hunters drinking where I hunt; it is something that I watch for. 16 years ago I got shot at by some drunken fools Turkey hunting that were blasting away everything that moved; I almost shot back, but called the Sheriff, and Game Warden instead, then very carefully and quietly left!!!
    If you do not test yourself every single day,
    then it is just another wasted day.
    --Semper Fi--

Quote Originally Posted by MatieA View Post
    I have yet to meet a truly defenseless animal.
    My wife likes to tell the story about the time she asked me to grab a flying squirrel so she could pet it.

I can tell you about defenseless

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Guns and alcohol......perfectly stupid together!
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Guns and alcohol......perfectly stupid together!
    Yes... but... for those times when pouring doesn't work for you...

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/03/19...ster-and-belt/

http://www.mutineermagazine.com/blog...hoots-alcohol/Attachment 3909

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    My wife likes to tell the story about the time she asked me to grab a flying squirrel so she could pet it.

Please tell me you did not catch it.

Quote Originally Posted by PT111 View Post
    Please tell me you did not catch it.
    There is considerable question about who caught who.
    I can tell you that a cute flying squirrel is capable and willing to bite completely through a finger.

Is the story a comedy?

Quote Originally Posted by xdm guy View Post
    Is the story a comedy?
    Jane thinks so...I wasn't quite as amused. I'll bet I lost a quart of blood before that little monster let g0.

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Jane thinks so...I wasn't quite as amused. I'll bet I lost a quart of blood before that little monster let g0.
    Some might opine that *all* hunting should be done mano a mano with the prey ... with no artificial advantages....

But then, everything I 'hunt' is made out of clay/pitch, colored orange, and is flying away from me at various angles at 60mph....
    Last edited by JamesCanby; 09-14-2010 at 03:38 PM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesCanby View Post
    Some might opine that *all* hunting should be done mano a mano with the prey ... with no artificial advantages....

But then, everything I 'hunt' is made out of clay/pitch, colored orange, and is flying away from me at various angles at 60mph....
    But they are so tough and taste nothing like chicken.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

..... I left a dove hunt on opening day when some of the participants cracked their third beer.

You waited until they cracked their THIRD beer? As soon as someone even brought out the adult beverages, I would have said something and then LEFT. Booze and guns do NOT mix.

EVER!
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Got my crossbow sighted in today. Two weeks until bow season!

hunter45? Are you disabled?
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by MSC 45ACP View Post
    hunter45? Are you disabled?
    From the Dept of Game and Inland Fisheries:

•Crossbows are legal to use by any hunter.
    ◦If a crossbow is used during an archery season (including the urban archery season) the hunter must have a crossbow license.
    ◦If a hunter chooses to use both conventional archery tackle and a crossbow during an archery season, they will need both an archery license when using the conventional bow and a crossbow license when using the crossbow.
    ◦If a hunter chooses to use a crossbow during the firearms season, no crossbow license will be required (just as there is no requirement for a person to have an archery license if using conventional archery equipment during the firearms season).
    ◦The laws governing the use of archery tackle also apply to crossbow tackle.

Thank you for the education. We learn something new every day! I previously thought only the handicapped were allowed to hunt with crossbow. I don't know where I heard it, so I am guilty of "assuming" what I heard was the law. Thanks for the 'heads up'.
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Quote Originally Posted by MSC 45ACP View Post
    Thank you for the education. We learn something new every day! I previously thought only the handicapped were allowed to hunt with crossbow. I don't know where I heard it, so I am guilty of "assuming" what I heard was the law. Thanks for the 'heads up'.
    Not a problem! It used to be illegal for everyone. Then they made it legal for folks with disabilities. I was pleased when they passed the old law so that I could participate in Archery Season. I qualified under that law, as my left arm was pretty well mangled in a farm equipment accident as a child. I'm not certain when they made it OK for everyone, but I just thought I'd look it up and educate folks.

I thought you were just making fun of me for using a crossbow instead of a bow.

Regular Member MilitaryRiflesFTW's Avatar
    We are screwed when the animals start carrying haha

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Drinking and hunting is a crime.

Just saying.
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-285
    § 18.2-285. Hunting with firearms while under influence of intoxicant or narcotic drug; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to hunt wildlife with a firearm, bow and arrow, or crossbow in the Commonwealth of Virginia while he is (i) under the influence of alcohol; (ii) under the influence of any narcotic drug or any other self-administered intoxicant or drug of whatsoever nature, or any combination of such drugs, to a degree that impairs his ability to hunt with a firearm, bow and arrow, or crossbow safely; or (iii) under the combined influence of alcohol and any drug or drugs to a degree that impairs his ability to hunt with a firearm, bow and arrow, or crossbow safely. Any person who violates the provisions of this section is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. Conservation police officers, sheriffs and all other law-enforcement officers shall enforce the provisions of this section.

Founder's Club Member
    Not that it takes much alcohol to impair attention to safety, I should think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast