• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Defenseless animals shot by open carriers... (Dove hunting season is open)

PaulX608

Thank you for the education. We learn something new every day! I previously thought only the handicapped were allowed to hunt with crossbow. I don't know where I heard it, so I am guilty of "assuming" what I heard was the law. Thanks for the 'heads up'.

Not a problem! It used to be illegal for everyone. Then they made it legal for folks with disabilities. I was pleased when they passed the old law so that I could participate in Archery Season. I qualified under that law, as my left arm was pretty well mangled in a farm equipment accident as a child. I'm not certain when they made it OK for everyone, but I just thought I'd look it up and educate folks.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Drinking and hunting is a crime.

Just saying.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-285
§ 18.2-285. Hunting with firearms while under influence of intoxicant or narcotic drug; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to hunt wildlife with a firearm, bow and arrow, or crossbow in the Commonwealth of Virginia while he is (i) under the influence of alcohol; (ii) under the influence of any narcotic drug or any other self-administered intoxicant or drug of whatsoever nature, or any combination of such drugs, to a degree that impairs his ability to hunt with a firearm, bow and arrow, or crossbow safely; or (iii) under the combined influence of alcohol and any drug or drugs to a degree that impairs his ability to hunt with a firearm, bow and arrow, or crossbow safely. Any person who violates the provisions of this section is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. Conservation police officers, sheriffs and all other law-enforcement officers shall enforce the provisions of this section.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I have a terminally pissed-off Maine Coon cat that would love to have a scoped crossbow for the cats, dogs, squrrels and other animals that pass his field of view while he sits in the bay window grooming himself.

PerPETually open season on trespassers. :lol: