• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Defenseless animals shot by open carriers... (Dove hunting season is open)

riverrat10k

.....on the first day of dove season. Just a reminder to everyone that hunting season is open again. Many folks who don't normally OC will have various firearms in their vehicles or about their persons. Just a situational awarness advisory. I left a dove hunt on opening day when some of the participants cracked their third beer.

Let's all be safe out there!

All American Nightmare

.....on the first day of dove season. Just a reminder to everyone that hunting season is open again. Many folks who don't normally OC will have various firearms in their vehicles or about their persons. Just a situational awarness advisory. I left a dove hunt on opening day when some of the participants cracked their third beer.

The ignorant can be taught however, you can’t fix stupid.

riverrat10k

Sorry Ed, I agree

but I made you look! In the counties I frequent in the Central VA area, lots of folks are now carrying guns in their vehicles and about their persons that were not being carried a month ago.

I just wanted to get that point out and also a "dig" at my "friends" who were drinking while shooting. I know your stance on that. I enjoy my beers immensely, but not while handling firearms.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
but I made you look! In the counties I frequent in the Central VA area, lots of folks are now carrying guns in their vehicles and about their persons that were not being carried a month ago.

I just wanted to get that point out and also a "dig" at my "friends" who were drinking while shooting. I know your stance on that. I enjoy my beers immensely, but not while handling firearms.

+1

MatieA

I have yet to meet a truly defenseless animal. They may not have a defense against a gun most have some form of defense.
That being said I myself am getting ready to join in the hunting crowds out here in Wyoming, and although I have not yet met any hunters drinking where I hunt; it is something that I watch for. 16 years ago I got shot at by some drunken fools Turkey hunting that were blasting away everything that moved; I almost shot back, but called the Sheriff, and Game Warden instead, then very carefully and quietly left!!!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Please tell me you did not catch it. :shocker::lol:

There is considerable question about who caught who.
I can tell you that a cute flying squirrel is capable and willing to bite completely through a finger.:uhoh:

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Jane thinks so...I wasn't quite as amused. I'll bet I lost a quart of blood before that little monster let g0.:lol:
Some might opine that *all* hunting should be done mano a mano with the prey ... with no artificial advantages....

But then, everything I 'hunt' is made out of clay/pitch, colored orange, and is flying away from me at various angles at 60mph....

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Some might opine that *all* hunting should be done mano a mano with the prey ... with no artificial advantages....

But then, everything I 'hunt' is made out of clay/pitch, colored orange, and is flying away from me at various angles at 60mph....

But they are so tough and taste nothing like chicken. :p

MSC 45ACP

..... I left a dove hunt on opening day when some of the participants cracked their third beer.

You waited until they cracked their THIRD beer? As soon as someone even brought out the adult beverages, I would have said something and then LEFT. Booze and guns do NOT mix.

EVER!

PaulX608

hunter45? Are you disabled?

From the Dept of Game and Inland Fisheries:

•Crossbows are legal to use by any hunter.
◦If a crossbow is used during an archery season (including the urban archery season) the hunter must have a crossbow license.
◦If a hunter chooses to use both conventional archery tackle and a crossbow during an archery season, they will need both an archery license when using the conventional bow and a crossbow license when using the crossbow.
◦If a hunter chooses to use a crossbow during the firearms season, no crossbow license will be required (just as there is no requirement for a person to have an archery license if using conventional archery equipment during the firearms season).
◦The laws governing the use of archery tackle also apply to crossbow tackle.

MSC 45ACP

Thank you for the education. We learn something new every day! I previously thought only the handicapped were allowed to hunt with crossbow. I don't know where I heard it, so I am guilty of "assuming" what I heard was the law. Thanks for the 'heads up'.