Thread: OC and the mailman?

Question OC and the mailman?

Can you OC to your mailbox while getting your mail if the mailman is coming? I would think not? Because he is federal? I know you can not carry a gun at the post office because its federal and the mailman is a federal worker.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by ocholsteroc View Post
    Can you OC to your mailbox while getting your mail if the mailman is coming? I would think not? Because he is federal? I know you can not carry a gun at the post office because its federal and the mailman is a federal worker.

maybe if he lays down and you walk on him.. then you are ON federal Property..

You should be just fine
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

That's like saying you can't carry if you see someone in the military...you can't carry on a military base, and someone in the military works on a military base.

If the federal government wants to claim my mailbox is federal property, they can take over paying the bills sent to my mailbox...

The USPS own the mailbox (in most areas where a "cluster-box" is used); otherwise, you are on the PROPERTY owner's property (could be yours, HOA, etc....) - if the box is OWNED by YOU, then you are more than likely on your OWN property - no issue with carrying....
    Last edited by jadedone4; 09-13-2010 at 01:51 PM.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Your driveway is not a federal facility ...........no worries.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Boo!

You can definitely OC around mailmen, your mailbox etc, just don't go walking into the post office OC-ing!

About the only thing that might get you in trouble is hiding "in" a mailbox and jumping out and saying "Boo!". :-)

I thought it was some form of "federal" offense to put something into or take someone else's mail. That is why the junk-flyers are shoved in your paperbox or on the side. Taking someone elses mail is a no-no too.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 45acpForMe View Post
    You can definitely OC around mailmen, your mailbox etc, just don't go walking into the post office OC-ing!

About the only thing that might get you in trouble is hiding "in" a mailbox and jumping out and saying "Boo!". :-)

I thought it was some form of "federal" offense to put something into or take someone else's mail. That is why the junk-flyers are shoved in your paperbox or on the side. Taking someone elses mail is a no-no too.
    There's a lot of urban legend about mailboxes.

The PO doesn't own your mailbox. (Maybe some gang boxes, I'm not sure about that) They have regulations about it's design and build and can refuse to deliver mail to unapproved boxes, but they don't own it.

The prohibition against putting unmetered mail (Flyers) is a Federal law that makes it illegal to place items in the box to avoid paying postage.
    You can put it in there but if the mailman collects a few, the sender will get a bill for them.

Ask me how I know that.

There are laws about placing dangerous items in the box...like bombs. That's to keep the mailman from being blown up when he delivers the mail, not because they own the box.

anyone else find it sad and disheartening that you can't exercise a "federal" right in federal facilities? I do. I said "'federal' right" because the federal constitution has the 2nd amendment and it was the one I was referring to, not the Va 2nd amendment. I know rights aren't given to us by any government.

Quote Originally Posted by mrt6812 View Post
    anyone else find it sad and disheartening that you can't exercise a "federal" right in federal facilities? I do. I said "'federal' right" because the federal constitution has the 2nd amendment and it was the one I was referring to, not the Va 2nd amendment. I know rights aren't given to us by any government.
    The state of Va isn't so great in that area either.
    Last edited by t33j; 09-13-2010 at 07:30 PM.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Quote Originally Posted by t33j View Post
    The state of Va isn't so great in that area either.
    Yep!
    I expect it from the Feds but it really upsets me that I can't carry in the peoples General Assembly building right here in Va.

I thought you could carry pretty much anywhere except courthouses. You can't carry in state government buildings, either?

I thought you could carry pretty much anywhere except courthouses. You can't carry in state government buildings, either?
    Some have posted themselves but the General Assembly building is what I was talking about. That's permit only.

OC and the mailman

I have had conversations on OC with my mailman. I was mowing the lawn OC and met him at the box. It is not a problem. He was disappointed that HE cannot carry at work or have weapons in his car. The Post Office stuff goes back to the concept of "Going Postal" from the 80s. Typical Liberal over reaction.

State Parks
    State Forests
    National Forests (Governed by state law)
    Virginia Wildlife Management Areas
    National Wildlife Refuges in Virginia (state law)

are what I had in mind for OC.
    Last edited by t33j; 09-14-2010 at 09:43 AM.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/virginia.pdf
    http://vagunforum.net/virginia-laws/...s-laws-t2.html
    This should get you started on the right track.

Mailman has never said a word to me, he is usually more worried about the dog then the piece holstered on my side.

Quote Originally Posted by nuc65 View Post
    Mailman has never said a word to me, he is usually more worried about the dog then the piece holstered on my side.
    Mine too. He seems more worried about a 12 pound Pomeranian than a Glock. Then again the dog is always louder when I go out.

Quote Originally Posted by Uber_Olafsun View Post
    Mine too. He seems more worried about a 12 pound Pomeranian than a Glock. Then again the dog is always louder when I go out.
    I have an 85lb GSD, but one of the mailmen told me that the ones that bite are the little ones, esp. chihuahuas.

Name:  upeyes.gif
Views: 170
Size:  1.7 KB
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

What if you were inside a gang-mail box?

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    What if you were inside a gang-mail box?
    Then you would be very small and really need a gun!

Quote Originally Posted by nuc65 View Post
    I have an 85lb GSD, but one of the mailmen told me that the ones that bite are the little ones, esp. chihuahuas.
    Mine doesn't bite at all. Just tries like crazy to lick their hands. Its amazing how people will see the dog and be all like how cute and pet it then realize I am carrying. I think it works on the good side to show how we are nice people too.

Let's see. I bought this house and the yard attached to it. My mailbox is mounted to my house. I also bought the mailbox from Lowe's. I'm pretty sure it's all mine. I'm also pretty sure my bluetooth-adorned mailman wouldn't notice me standing next to the box at all - OCing or not.