Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you strapped on your couch?

Are you strapped on your couch?

Okay, I set that up. But what I mean is, do you carry while in your house? Personally, my firearm is in the safe within 5 minutes (+/-) of me entering the door. I have my reasons.

I bring this up for a couple reasons.

First - The earlier thread about keeping one in the chamber included a post about scrappers grabbing something out of the poster's yard. He ordered them to drop it and they did. This happened without him having to draw his firearm, but it could have turned out differently.

Second - A home invasion can happen anytime of day/night. Do you feel comfortable with your response time if your firearm is locked up?

Short Answer

Yes.

I am armed nearly 24/7.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

A firearm locked in a safe does nothing to make you more safe. I merely use mine to store my "spare weapons".

Let's just say that in my house I won't ever have to "go looking" for my defensive firearm.

"Come as a friend, leave as a friend. Come as other than a friend and leave as a "statistic"."

24/7

I have a stainless pistol, so I can even carry in the shower, although not concealed................

I am always within arms reach of a weapon (except when at work since I work for the feds and apparently the 2A doesn't apply to feds?????!!!!!!????)
    "And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
    E nomine Patri, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti."

"If the rest of the world says: 'War,' I can only say: 'Very well. I do not want war, but no one, however peaceable, can live in peace if his neighbor intends to force a quarrel.'" - Adolf Hitler...

We all carry

24/7 x3
    Even in bed I have two fireams I can reach over and grab. The housemates carry all the time and I gave them a shotgun for their bedroom.

69Charger
    Yep. Right now.
    Ya never know. ????
    Dave

The only time I don't have my gun on me when I am at home is when I am sleeping. I unload it it and keep it in my night stand. I don't like the idea of locking up a gun (I don't have kids), because I don't feel I could get it out in time if I needed to. I also don't like the idea of my gun being loaded when I sleep for fear of sleep shooting... weird I know.

Joe~

Any parents of small children out there want to get in on this? Maybe even parents of small children who like to wrestle?

I don't walk around with it, but it's always within reach. I have a two year old, so I keep it high enough to where it can't be accidentally knocked down. If anyone is even thinking about breaking into my place, they're going to make a bunch of noise, because I have two dogs who bark at the slightest noise, and I've got three locks on my door, a reinforced frame, plus a security bar with an alarm built in it. Working late shifts, and having a wife and two year old daughter, I don't take home security lightly. I wouldn't feel comfortable with having to run to the lock box and grabbing my pistol if someone were in the midst of breaking in. I feel I could have the time, but I wouldn't want to risk it. I want to already be prepared.

http://images.bedbathandbeyond.com/a...216098515P.JPG
    Last edited by Aaron1124; 09-13-2010 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joejoejoe View Post
    The only time I don't have my gun on me when I am at home is when I am sleeping. I unload it it and keep it in my night stand. I don't like the idea of locking up a gun (I don't have kids), because I don't feel I could get it out in time if I needed to. I also don't like the idea of my gun being loaded when I sleep for fear of sleep shooting... weird I know.

Joe~
    I know what you mean. One of my friends sleeps with his pistol UNDER HIS PILLOW.. LOADED! No way I'd ever do that.

Quote Originally Posted by devildoc5 View Post
    I am always within arms reach of a weapon (except when at work since I work for the feds and apparently the 2A doesn't apply to feds?????!!!!!!????)
    It's funny how Congress determines where the 2nd Amendment applies. First it's "The 2nd Amendment only applies to U.S. Law, not state law, therefore state law can restrict firearm rights."

And then it's "The 2nd Amendment does not apply to U.S. Property, so they can restrict firearm rights."

Who are these jokers, anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1124 View Post
    One of my friends sleeps with his pistol UNDER HIS PILLOW.. LOADED! No way I'd ever do that.
    When I was a kid, I used to sleep with whatever new toy I got for Christmas or birthday. When I got my newest piece, I slept with it under my pillow (unloaded) just for ol' time's sake.
    My wife thought it was pretty humorous.

When I only had one young child, I also had my weapon up high. Now that I've got older kids, that's not good enough. Gotta have them locked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Leatherneck View Post
    When I was a kid, I used to sleep with whatever new toy I got for Christmas or birthday. When I got my newest piece, I slept with it under my pillow (unloaded) just for ol' time's sake.
    My wife thought it was pretty humorous.

When I only had one young child, I also had my weapon up high. Now that I've got older kids, that's not good enough. Gotta have them locked up.
    Ha. Yep. Keeping them up high will only work for so long. There comes a point where curiosity gets the best of 'em. That's why I think it's good to educate them as soon as they're old enough to understand. Not making them scared of the weapon, but making them aware of what it is, and what it does.

I don't have any children, just a roommate who isn't exactly comfortable with firearms. I've brought her to the range a couple times and had her shoot some so she understands how my weapons operate, but that's the extent of her knowledge that I'm aware of.

Anyways, if I'm home, I usually have my M&P 40 on my hip or within arms reach, and I have a spare magazine in my pocket or near the gun in case of a magazine related malfunction (with 16 rounds, I really shouldn't have to reload). When I'm sleeping, I throw the Streamlight TLR-1 on it and place it on/in my headboard, right next to my phone and my glasses and it's good to go.

We all have our reasons. Me, I'm not dressed without my gun. Honestly dont believe I can balance correctly with out at laest one.
    All kidding aside, if you feel secure enough to lock your guns up when arriving home than I am jealous. Not being Chuch Norris, I like to keep a piece handy. As my children grew I learned that the only safe place for my gun was in a safe or on my hip. I choose both. By the way, when was the last time we saw Mr, Norris without a gun?
    I read somewhere : I hope to carry a gun on my hip my whole life and never have to use it. Good words.
    just a question....you carry a gun when you are away from home [ to keep your self alive ] but lock it up at home [ to keep your loved ones alive? ] Like you said lots of different reasons but I bet you do not drive a car without a spare [ which you will probably never need ] Just a thought

Kids

I have kids 13 and 16 they are so used to my guns that I usually leave my pistol on the kitchen counter. My 13 year old has a .22 rifle he loves to shoot (300 round box in a couple of hours). I took my 16 year old daughter to a Women on Target class and now the opposite, she hates guns now. But they both understand that is a weapon and not a toy. I do not want to spend 5 minutes getting it out of a safe, cause by then if you did need it you'd be too late. If I have 5 minutes I'll call 911, if not I'll dial 9mm.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Now that you have told any and all that read this forum, just where to find a gun, are you going to change the locations? I would hope so. I am certain that there are those of the criminal persuasion that take a look here now and then.
    just a thought.

Regular Member WinchesterModel12's Avatar
    I carry all the time when i sleep I lay it on the night stand. I have several firearms stashed throughout the house that are fully loaded. My wife and kids know how to handle each firearm if needed.
    If guns kill people......then all of mine are defective........ UNCLE TED

I have four kids, 12, 11 9 year old twins. Three girls and one boy. I leave my gun sitting on the desk when I am sitting at the computer or when I am cooking in the kitchen. I do not worry about them touching it. They have been told that they can touch the handgun anytime they ask, while one of us is there with them.

I would never do it, but if I did leave the house with a loaded handgun sitting on the counter next to the toaster, I am confident that none of them would touch it for any reason, well, unless someone came busting in, then I am sure one of the older ones--given that they have shot my Beretta 92FS--might grab it and shoot the perp!

Like I said, I would never leave it sitting out and leave to go shopping, but if I did, I know they wouldn't touch it. Two reasons, 1) they know there would be a lot of trouble when I found out, but most importantly 2) they respect firearms and understand that they are deadly.

I should say:

I think that what impacts how a child interacts with a firearm is being familiar with firearms (going shooting), being educated that firearms can kill them or people around them if handled improperly, and last but not least, respect for parents--meaning--they recognize that your desire for them to not handle firearms without you present is because you care about their safety, and you want them to be able to handle firearm, but only with a parent with them.
    Last edited by Beretta92FSLady; 09-13-2010 at 08:37 PM.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

Up here, it stays in my lock box(with my key in it) while I'm at the computer, which is 99% of the time. My room mate kept his(before he took them back home on leave, since he's PCSing to Germany) in his closet, all of the pistols with a loaded mag in the well, but the chamber empty. And his kids know not to touch it. His shotgun had shells on the side saddle, but unloaded.

When I got to Texas on leave, I made sure my pistol was clear(even though it just went through a flight down to Texas, and the locks were intact after TSA checking it and clearing it before I locked it up before it flew), and talked to my 6 year old son about it. I tried having him pull back the slide, wouldn't budge, and explained to him what it's for, and that anytime he ever wants to see it or hold it or handle it, to just ask me or momma and we would be more than happy.

Plus, knowing that he couldn't even move the slide(my wife can barely rack it) made me safe in knowing that I could at least keep the mag in the well(chamber clear) without any concern of him getting to it and any possible accidents.

When I PCS, going to buy him a BB gun and teach him how to shoot it, and take him somewhere and show him why exactly guns are not toys...with the aid of a good defense round(thinking Speer Gold Dot) and either a watermelon or cantaloupe. But when he gets older, I expect him to use it if he's home alone by himself and someone comes in. IMHO, that's good parenting. Trusting them, and giving them responsibility, provided they prove they are responsible. So far, he is, and he's only 6.
    It ain't easy in the Tweezy.

My favorite one to date: "Uh... You know the hammer's back on it, right?"

Me: o.O "Uh...yeah."

Mine is loaded and not locked up to keep it simple for my wife. I do have it up high to keep it out of reach of the kids. My lab/sheppard mix is the first responder to anything that goes bump in the night. I praise my dog everytime she barks at something that sounds or looks unfamiliar.

Quote Originally Posted by Leatherneck View Post
    If they're old enough that you have to worry about it, they're old enough that they should be familiar with guns, their potential danger, and the rules concerning them.

You cannot child-proof guns. But, you can gun-proof your children.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast