• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are you strapped on your couch?

Leatherneck

Okay, I set that up. But what I mean is, do you carry while in your house? Personally, my firearm is in the safe within 5 minutes (+/-) of me entering the door. I have my reasons.

I bring this up for a couple reasons.

First - The earlier thread about keeping one in the chamber included a post about scrappers grabbing something out of the poster's yard. He ordered them to drop it and they did. This happened without him having to draw his firearm, but it could have turned out differently.

Second - A home invasion can happen anytime of day/night. Do you feel comfortable with your response time if your firearm is locked up?

amlevin

A firearm locked in a safe does nothing to make you more safe. I merely use mine to store my "spare weapons".

Let's just say that in my house I won't ever have to "go looking" for my defensive firearm.

"Come as a friend, leave as a friend. Come as other than a friend and leave as a "statistic"."

Aryk45XD

We all carry

24/7 x3
Even in bed I have two fireams I can reach over and grab. The housemates carry all the time and I gave them a shotgun for their bedroom.

joejoejoe

The only time I don't have my gun on me when I am at home is when I am sleeping. I unload it it and keep it in my night stand. I don't like the idea of locking up a gun (I don't have kids), because I don't feel I could get it out in time if I needed to. I also don't like the idea of my gun being loaded when I sleep for fear of sleep shooting... weird I know.

Joe~

Aaron1124

I don't walk around with it, but it's always within reach. I have a two year old, so I keep it high enough to where it can't be accidentally knocked down. If anyone is even thinking about breaking into my place, they're going to make a bunch of noise, because I have two dogs who bark at the slightest noise, and I've got three locks on my door, a reinforced frame, plus a security bar with an alarm built in it. Working late shifts, and having a wife and two year old daughter, I don't take home security lightly. I wouldn't feel comfortable with having to run to the lock box and grabbing my pistol if someone were in the midst of breaking in. I feel I could have the time, but I wouldn't want to risk it. I want to already be prepared.

http://images.bedbathandbeyond.com/assets/product_images/230/9352216098515P.JPG

Last edited:

Aaron1124

The only time I don't have my gun on me when I am at home is when I am sleeping. I unload it it and keep it in my night stand. I don't like the idea of locking up a gun (I don't have kids), because I don't feel I could get it out in time if I needed to. I also don't like the idea of my gun being loaded when I sleep for fear of sleep shooting... weird I know.

Joe~

I know what you mean. One of my friends sleeps with his pistol UNDER HIS PILLOW.. LOADED! No way I'd ever do that.

Aaron1124

I am always within arms reach of a weapon (except when at work since I work for the feds and apparently the 2A doesn't apply to feds?????!!!!!!????)

It's funny how Congress determines where the 2nd Amendment applies. First it's "The 2nd Amendment only applies to U.S. Law, not state law, therefore state law can restrict firearm rights."

And then it's "The 2nd Amendment does not apply to U.S. Property, so they can restrict firearm rights."

Who are these jokers, anyway?

Leatherneck

One of my friends sleeps with his pistol UNDER HIS PILLOW.. LOADED! No way I'd ever do that.

When I was a kid, I used to sleep with whatever new toy I got for Christmas or birthday. When I got my newest piece, I slept with it under my pillow (unloaded) just for ol' time's sake. :D
My wife thought it was pretty humorous.

When I only had one young child, I also had my weapon up high. Now that I've got older kids, that's not good enough. Gotta have them locked up.

Aaron1124

When I was a kid, I used to sleep with whatever new toy I got for Christmas or birthday. When I got my newest piece, I slept with it under my pillow (unloaded) just for ol' time's sake. :D
My wife thought it was pretty humorous.

When I only had one young child, I also had my weapon up high. Now that I've got older kids, that's not good enough. Gotta have them locked up.

Ha. Yep. Keeping them up high will only work for so long. There comes a point where curiosity gets the best of 'em. That's why I think it's good to educate them as soon as they're old enough to understand. Not making them scared of the weapon, but making them aware of what it is, and what it does.

k.rollin

I don't have any children, just a roommate who isn't exactly comfortable with firearms. I've brought her to the range a couple times and had her shoot some so she understands how my weapons operate, but that's the extent of her knowledge that I'm aware of.

Anyways, if I'm home, I usually have my M&P 40 on my hip or within arms reach, and I have a spare magazine in my pocket or near the gun in case of a magazine related malfunction (with 16 rounds, I really shouldn't have to reload). When I'm sleeping, I throw the Streamlight TLR-1 on it and place it on/in my headboard, right next to my phone and my glasses and it's good to go.

dan10mmman

We all have our reasons. Me, I'm not dressed without my gun. Honestly dont believe I can balance correctly with out at laest one.
All kidding aside, if you feel secure enough to lock your guns up when arriving home than I am jealous. Not being Chuch Norris, I like to keep a piece handy. As my children grew I learned that the only safe place for my gun was in a safe or on my hip. I choose both. By the way, when was the last time we saw Mr, Norris without a gun?
I read somewhere : I hope to carry a gun on my hip my whole life and never have to use it. Good words.
just a question....you carry a gun when you are away from home [ to keep your self alive ] but lock it up at home [ to keep your loved ones alive? ] Like you said lots of different reasons but I bet you do not drive a car without a spare [ which you will probably never need ] Just a thought

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Kids

I have kids 13 and 16 they are so used to my guns that I usually leave my pistol on the kitchen counter. My 13 year old has a .22 rifle he loves to shoot (300 round box in a couple of hours). I took my 16 year old daughter to a Women on Target class and now the opposite, she hates guns now. But they both understand that is a weapon and not a toy. I do not want to spend 5 minutes getting it out of a safe, cause by then if you did need it you'd be too late. If I have 5 minutes I'll call 911, if not I'll dial 9mm.

Trigger Dr

Now that you have told any and all that read this forum, just where to find a gun, are you going to change the locations? I would hope so. I am certain that there are those of the criminal persuasion that take a look here now and then.
just a thought.

WinchesterModel12

I carry all the time when i sleep I lay it on the night stand. I have several firearms stashed throughout the house that are fully loaded. My wife and kids know how to handle each firearm if needed.