• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are you strapped on your couch?

Beretta92FSLady

I have four kids, 12, 11 9 year old twins. Three girls and one boy. I leave my gun sitting on the desk when I am sitting at the computer or when I am cooking in the kitchen. I do not worry about them touching it. They have been told that they can touch the handgun anytime they ask, while one of us is there with them.

I would never do it, but if I did leave the house with a loaded handgun sitting on the counter next to the toaster, I am confident that none of them would touch it for any reason, well, unless someone came busting in, then I am sure one of the older ones--given that they have shot my Beretta 92FS--might grab it and shoot the perp!

Like I said, I would never leave it sitting out and leave to go shopping, but if I did, I know they wouldn't touch it. Two reasons, 1) they know there would be a lot of trouble when I found out, but most importantly 2) they respect firearms and understand that they are deadly.

I should say:

I think that what impacts how a child interacts with a firearm is being familiar with firearms (going shooting), being educated that firearms can kill them or people around them if handled improperly, and last but not least, respect for parents--meaning--they recognize that your desire for them to not handle firearms without you present is because you care about their safety, and you want them to be able to handle firearm, but only with a parent with them.

Last edited:

Genken

Up here, it stays in my lock box(with my key in it) while I'm at the computer, which is 99% of the time. My room mate kept his(before he took them back home on leave, since he's PCSing to Germany) in his closet, all of the pistols with a loaded mag in the well, but the chamber empty. And his kids know not to touch it. His shotgun had shells on the side saddle, but unloaded.

When I got to Texas on leave, I made sure my pistol was clear(even though it just went through a flight down to Texas, and the locks were intact after TSA checking it and clearing it before I locked it up before it flew), and talked to my 6 year old son about it. I tried having him pull back the slide, wouldn't budge, and explained to him what it's for, and that anytime he ever wants to see it or hold it or handle it, to just ask me or momma and we would be more than happy.

Plus, knowing that he couldn't even move the slide(my wife can barely rack it) made me safe in knowing that I could at least keep the mag in the well(chamber clear) without any concern of him getting to it and any possible accidents.

When I PCS, going to buy him a BB gun and teach him how to shoot it, and take him somewhere and show him why exactly guns are not toys...with the aid of a good defense round(thinking Speer Gold Dot) and either a watermelon or cantaloupe. But when he gets older, I expect him to use it if he's home alone by himself and someone comes in. IMHO, that's good parenting. Trusting them, and giving them responsibility, provided they prove they are responsible. So far, he is, and he's only 6.

DCKilla

Mine is loaded and not locked up to keep it simple for my wife. I do have it up high to keep it out of reach of the kids. My lab/sheppard mix is the first responder to anything that goes bump in the night. I praise my dog everytime she barks at something that sounds or looks unfamiliar.

KBCraig

When I only had one young child, I also had my weapon up high. Now that I've got older kids, that's not good enough. Gotta have them locked up.
If they're old enough that you have to worry about it, they're old enough that they should be familiar with guns, their potential danger, and the rules concerning them.

You cannot child-proof guns. But, you can gun-proof your children.

amlevin

I have kids 13 and 16 they are so used to my guns that I usually leave my pistol on the kitchen counter. My 13 year old has a .22 rifle he loves to shoot (300 round box in a couple of hours). I took my 16 year old daughter to a Women on Target class and now the opposite, she hates guns now. But they both understand that is a weapon and not a toy. I do not want to spend 5 minutes getting it out of a safe, cause by then if you did need it you'd be too late. If I have 5 minutes I'll call 911, if not I'll dial 9mm.

I wonder what has changed over the last 60 years or so? Was it the parents, or the kids? When I was growing up we had guns everywhere. There was one behind the kitchen door. In our house it was a 12ga. There was one in the barn, a pump action .22 and in the closet there was a 30-06. My dad had a 1911 that was either on him or sitting next to where he was sitting or sleeping (sometimes the same place). We, as kids knew they were all loaded. In our case they actually were loaded but it didn't matter because we were taught to treat them all as if they were. We got to shoot when we asked and knew that we didn't dare mess with them unless we had a need.
Kids that visited the house were raised in the same manner and there was no "let's go look at your dad's gun". Every once in a while someone would take a .22 from their house and join a buddy who did likewise. Sometimes an insulator on a telephone pole (a real pole that carried telephone wires) would be broken. If those kids were caught they ended up with a major sitting problem for some time and those who weren't caught learned from their friends lessons. Gun safes were only in gun stores, not in homes.

Today we can't buy a pistol unless it is equipped with some form of trigger lock. We have to have safes in our houses to protect the firearms from our children and their friends, not necessarily burglars. When we have children we now have to compromise the safety of our selves and family because we don't want little Johnny, Jane, or their friends that have sleep-overs from being put in danger.

I went throught he "little kids in the family" routine back about 40 years ago. My two boys knew about my firearms from the time they could walk. As they grew, they grew with the idea that guns were a part of their lives, they could be dangerous if handled wrong, or by people that shouldn't be touching them, and they could also be fun. As they grew into teens, the message was that all they had to do is say "let's go shooting" and we all did. There were no excuses about not being ready, it's not a good time, or it's too dangerous. We all went to the range where we had an afternoon of fun. Good safe fun and lessons on proper gun handling. These boys are all grown now and there was not one single incident where they violated the trust that was placed in them.

Today I have 5 grandchildren. They started arriving in my house about 18 years ago and now the youngest is 11. When they come over my Sig is usually on the counter or on my hip. Same rules for them as for my boys 40 years ago. Ask and we'll do it the right way. Don't touch, don't let anyone of your friends touch. If you want to shoot, tell me. Any excuse is good enough to go to the range.

Why have things changed so drastically with kids. Or, is it just that parents have become more lazy and don't want to take the time to teach their children? Somehow my parents managed, my wife and I have managed, and we are now ready to start turning loose a third generation of kids that "grew up understanding guns".

OK, times have changed and we have to lock our doors and windows. We have OTHER parents that don't take the time to work with their kids, they let the schools handle it. So we need to lock our firearms in safes and can't trust other kids in our house to follow the rules. But we certainly can stop being so paranoid and take the time to "gun proof" our own kids. If we don't want our world to be ruled by those with the socalled Progressive or "Enlightened" views that are so prevelant in today's society, we need to stop following them in our own houses.

Bottom line is that the only way improve their security with a firearm is to have it available and ready to go all the time. The only way to insure that your wife and children are safe around that "ready to go" firearm is to teach them how to respect and handle it. Otherwise that "safe" gun is probably locked up and unloaded. Might as well save the money and just buy a baseball bat.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
On my at home, on the nightstand when I go to bed.

Okay, I set that up. But what I mean is, do you carry while in your house? YES Personally, my firearm is in the safe within 5 minutes (+/-) of me entering the door. I have my reasons. What are the reasons?

I bring this up for a couple reasons.

First - The earlier thread about keeping one in the chamber included a post about scrappers grabbing something out of the poster's yard. He ordered them to drop it and they did. This happened without him having to draw his firearm, but it could have turned out differently.

Second - A home invasion can happen anytime of day/night. Do you feel comfortable with your response time if your firearm is locked up?
It is not locked, it is on my when I am awake.

I am armed nearly 24/7.
Kudos, same here!

The only time I don't have my gun on me when I am at home is when I am sleeping. I unload it it and keep it in my night stand. I don't like the idea of locking up a gun (I don't have kids), because I don't feel I could get it out in time if I needed to. I also don't like the idea of my gun being loaded when I sleep for fear of sleep shooting... weird I know.

Joe~
Sleep shooting? Never thought about that. Mine is loaded on the nightstand, with the flashlight mounted on the rail.

Any parents of small children out there want to get in on this? Maybe even parents of small children who like to wrestle?
When my girls were young, I had a Taurus .357 revolver with the integrated locking system. It was always on the nightstand and at night I undid the lock so I did not have to fumble with it if awakened during the middle of the night.

Now that you have told any and all that read this forum, just where to find a gun, are you going to change the locations? I would hope so. I am certain that there are those of the criminal persuasion that take a look here now and then.
just a thought.
What guns? Mine were all lost in a tragic boating accident. LOL, mine are in the safe except the one on me.

24/7 with in reach if not in my holster, seconds count.

My carry weapon stays on me when I get home. When I change out of work clothes it goes back on the hip. When I sleep it is on the nightstand and so is an inexpensive home defense 12g shotgun. Also, the cameras and sensors will announce your presence and the cameras will record your univited presence in my home.

Tomas

Actually, it's my recliner, and yes I'm 'strapped.'

I remove my firearms when I remove my outer clothing, which means if I'm in my underwear, in the shower, or in my bed, I'm not wearing a firearm.

At night, my primary is at-the-ready on my nightstand. My small safe is only for whatever I'm not carrying - those that are "out-of-service" for the moment.

I do not lock up my primary or BUG, nor do I lock up my ammo.

In this household *I* am the "child" - and I'll be 64 this year.

(By definition, home invasions happen to occupied homes, and there is no warning, not time for a "Kings-X" or time-out to recover one's weapon and ammunition. It is "NOW!" - do or die.)

Am I paranoid? Nope! Just happier prepared than not.

(The only time I ever had to employ a weapon as a civilian was FOR a home invasion. I know how quickly they can happen and how little warning there can be. Kimmie was lucky I was at her house when it happened.)

killchain

The only time I don't have a firearm is if I'm showering, and even then it's within five feet.

And yes, blah blah blah, courthouses and schools and crap I don't have one there either. But it is as close as legally possible. :p

amzbrady

I have no doubt that my 9 year old daughter would never touch my gun. Do I test that theory? No, I will never be that irresponsible. If my firearm is not on my hip it is in my safe (or in my drawers if I'm on the porcelon god, as discussed in a different thread). I usually wear it up to when I either put my comfy clothes on, or start drinking. I dont believe in contributing to accident statistics. My thought is there is no such thing as an accident as most people refer to it which is an unpreventable event. 99% of the time, I believe accidents could have been prevented by a little responsible forethought.

devildoc5

that is what I tried to say a week or so ago in a thread and got accused of "not wanting to take responsibility for my own actions, or anyone else's" !!

There is ALWAYS someway to negate an "accident" thus rendering the use of accident null and void.

tombrewster421

Kids

My oldest is 4-1/2 and I also have a 2 yo. My gun stays on me until I put on my jammies, then it goes in the gunvault mounted in my dresser. It only takes a second to retrieve it if need be. My daughter knows not to touch my guns without asking and I'm getting started on teaching her the fundamentals about them. She's going to get a .22 for her 5th birthday. And yes we wrestle on the floor while I'm wearing my gun. I also go in attics and crawlspaces while wearing my gun at work and it's never fallen out once!

Leatherneck

I definitely need to get a retention holster. Problem is, I like the Blackhawk Serpa, but the XDm doesn't fit securely in the holster they made for the XD. I may have to go with my second choice - leather.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Now that you have told any and all that read this forum, just where to find a gun, are you going to change the locations? I would hope so. I am certain that there are those of the criminal persuasion that take a look here now and then.
just a thought.

Notice to criminals if you are looking for my gun, look in my hand! :cool:

Point taken Trigger

Last edited:

The Patriot

Little children

Any parents of small children out there want to get in on this? Maybe even parents of small children who like to wrestle?

I have a 6yr old son and a 10mo daughter. I took my son up shooting in Gifford Pinchot National Forest. He was to small to hold and shoot. I mainly wanted him to see the destructive power that it has. So he understands that it is in no way a toy. He has his first mini Red Ryder bb gun. And he only is allowed to shoot it when out in forest. I wear my Glock 22 at home all the time or within 24" of my hand. Education and experience are the best at remedying accidental gun deaths. He knows not to talk about it at school.

tombrewster421

I definitely need to get a retention holster. Problem is, I like the Blackhawk Serpa, but the XDm doesn't fit securely in the holster they made for the XD. I may have to go with my second choice - leather.

My holster isn't really a retention holster in that there is no button to push or anything. I just pull it out. It's an IWB from Blade-Tech that has a little dent that goes into the trigger guard. I did have a spare mag fall out once while playing kickball at church though.

Last edited:

ghosthunter

I have a firearm with me 24/7. Out of the house it is a 9mm Sigma. Once in the house I switch to a Judge. Goes under my pillow at night. I keep the judge on an empty chamber. I figure 4 shots will give me time to reach down to the unlocked safe and pull out the 38 special or the Sigma. If that doesnt send them screaming I will grab the 410 shotgun.

Safety and security is practiced every day I have 4 year and 8 year old grandsons that stop by everyday. The eight year old is now learning to shoot and the 4 year old is learning the rules of safe firearm handling.

irish52084

I have a 5yo boy and a 6 month old son, the 5yo knows I have guns in the house and knows that I carry one almost all the time. He hasn't shown much interest in them, but knows that he is not to touch without a parent around. That said, I do keep a gun vault next to the bed and I usually sleep with my cz sp-01 and surefire light on the night stand.

If a younger child were to be untrained about firearms and find a gun of mine loose in the house I would be very worried. There's just no way to know what a child will do that isn't your own or that you know has been around guns. With all the BS lawsuits that go on I don't want to be put in a situation where I get sued because someone's kid hasn't been parented properly.

As for wrestling around with the 5yo, I usually remove my pistol and put it on the coffee table. Mom hasn't been too keen on letting me take him shooting yet, but I'm slowly wearing her down. I've got a great old .22 rifle I'm sure he would love to shoot.