• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

We did NOT lose Quaker Steak and Lube

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Stopped in to the new QS&L on West Broad a few minutes ago. Wanted to talk to the manager about setting up a table at bike night to hand out our company's brochures. When he asked what we did, and I told him, his face sank.

Seems that they have been having a problem with rival biker gangs and weapons and the district manager was about to institute a "no weapons" policy. I gave the manager the hard sell, explained all of the pro-gun positions, and by the end of our talk, he was asking how he could obtain his CHP. He agreed with me on all points, but the final decision is not his to make.

I don't know if I made any progress but I told him to have the district manager call me to discuss the issue.

Last edited:

45acpForMe

Hopefully they don't go anti. They have the best wings around. I OC at the Newport News one and have attended (totally by accident) biker night. My only complaint is that they ain't cheap.

I wonder what corporate policy is and if they simply defer to local management. I also wonder if all of VA is in that district managers "district". From their web page I can't imagine all of VA not being one district since they only have two stores with one coming soon.

Virginia

Fredericksburg, VA
"Coming Soon!"

Newport News, VA

Richmond, VA

Last edited:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Agh this turns my stomach. If you have rival bike gangs that are willing to kill each other (or other people) what good will it do that some stupid restaurant has up a sign?!?! If that's going to do the trick of keeping people from having sidearms, how about just putting up a sign that says no fighting / violence?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I didn't know they had any locations in VA. I've been by the one in Robinson Twp, PA...hope the chain doesn't go anti.

I did this last Wednesday Nova:
[video=vimeo;14822205]http://vimeo.com/14822205[/video]

That's odd about the gangs. I have never seen any colors or even a hint of trouble. I've run into friends who admittedly are a little rough around the edges ...but no trouble there.

I talked to one of the cops that work security there a few weeks ago, He said he'd been working there for a long time with no issues at all.

If they're having gang disputes, it's well hidden.

buster81

Agh this turns my stomach. If you have rival bike gangs that are willing to kill each other (or other people) what good will it do that some stupid restaurant has up a sign?!?! If that's going to do the trick of keeping people from having sidearms, how about just putting up a sign that says no fighting / violence?

That's the ticket.

Attachments

• No_Violence_sign.jpg
    No_Violence_sign.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 301

vt800c

NICE VIDEO! makes me wish I lived closer. seems like they did a good bike night. too bad about the gun thing..I think it would be a good place to ride to.

the no violence sign would be better, and i didn't see any troule...maybe it was the guy walking with his two little boys. they had arms...one on each side.

EXTREMEOPS1

Campaign Veteran
Great video great night by all accounts but.......

Where are all the weapons OC'd or are they all CC'd weapons didn't see a single one ? Looks like any ordinary bike meet with no violence or weapons ...so did QS& L ban weapons prior to the bike night? Or is that the company policy?

fully_armed_biker

Well, I won't give QS&L a dime of my money for other reasons...

About a month ago, my wife and I were up at the one in Newport News passing out flyers for a Breast Cancer Research Foundation fund raising ride we are volunteering for, Ride For Pink, on Sunday, Oct 3...Leaving from Hoss's Deli in Newport News and Diesel in Virginia Beach at 11:00 AM. We're raffling off a Harley Dyna-Street Bob and the manager of that QS&L, Jerry, suggested we bring the bike up to show for their last Bike Night, Sept 29 to sell raffle tickets. He also went as far as asking what he'd have to do to have the ride end at QS&L next year. This past weekend, the husband of the couple that founded the Ride For Pink went up to QS&L to talk about the details and where we he wanted us to set up the bike, etc. The manager went off on him telling him we weren't allowed to bring the bike up to his restaraunt...so, they will never see a dime of my money, because their manager is a liar!

darthmord

Well, I won't give QS&L a dime of my money for other reasons...

About a month ago, my wife and I were up at the one in Newport News passing out flyers for a Breast Cancer Research Foundation fund raising ride we are volunteering for, Ride For Pink, on Sunday, Oct 3...Leaving from Hoss's Deli in Newport News and Diesel in Virginia Beach at 11:00 AM. We're raffling off a Harley Dyna-Street Bob and the manager of that QS&L, Jerry, suggested we bring the bike up to show for their last Bike Night, Sept 29 to sell raffle tickets. He also went as far as asking what he'd have to do to have the ride end at QS&L next year. This past weekend, the husband of the couple that founded the Ride For Pink went up to QS&L to talk about the details and where we he wanted us to set up the bike, etc. The manager went off on him telling him we weren't allowed to bring the bike up to his restaraunt...so, they will never see a dime of my money, because their manager is a liar!

Before banning him from your visits, please go find out what happened. That is highly unusual because they hold FM99 bike nights where everyone brings out their bikes to the restaurant. Shelley from FM99 has said in the past that QS&L likes having people bring their bikes.

fully_armed_biker

Before banning him from your visits, please go find out what happened. That is highly unusual because they hold FM99 bike nights where everyone brings out their bikes to the restaurant. Shelley from FM99 has said in the past that QS&L likes having people bring their bikes.

Oh yeah...they love having people ride their bikes up there to spend money at QS&L...quite frankly, they don't care how you get there, as long as you get there. This is a bike we're raffling off though. He made the suggestion we bring it up and set up to show, so we could sell the raffle tickets. He said that's the night they're holding the drawing for the Harley they're giving away and there would be hundreds, if not thousands, of people up there that night. We stood there and talked to him for about 45 minutes...we told him at that point we'd be there with the bike...and I'd be riding mine up. We gave him my cell number, my wife's work and cell number, the cell numbers for the couple that founded Ride For Pink. We will be at Diesel next Wednesday with the bike for their last bike night.

wylde007

I have been having some conversations with a couple of good friends of mine who, while not "in" the lifestyle are familiar with and close to a few who are.

I have heard that the Renegades have claimed a lot of territory on the Southside, but I don't know about the Peninsula. I haven't seen any H.A. around, but that doesn't mean they're not there. I really haven't seen too many MC colors around. A lot of RC and affiliate colors, though.

I have also heard that the Mongols are pretty much recruiting anyone with what might be called a "flexible moral compass", and not even riders, to do dirty work in their name.

It is true, no sign will stop the murderous criminal element from enacting clan/club justice on others - and they tend to have little, if any, remorse towards the collaterally damaged. The best thing to do is not be there when things go bad.

fully_armed_biker

In Hampton Roads, there are basically 2 outlaw motorcycle clubs that affect us here...the Renegades and the Pagans. The Renegades have a chapter in Elizabeth City, NC and the Pagans are from Maryland. Both claim most of Virginia as their territory. Since they are both into trafficking of drugs, prostitution, and illegal guns...for one to expand North and the other to expand South, naturally they both have to come through Virginia...and that's where most of the problems, in VA, with outlaw MC's comes from.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
In Hampton Roads, there are basically 2 outlaw motorcycle clubs that affect us here...the Renegades and the Pagans. The Renegades have a chapter in Elizabeth City, NC and the Pagans are from Maryland. Both claim most of Virginia as their territory. Since they are both into trafficking of drugs, prostitution, and illegal guns...for one to expand North and the other to expand South, naturally they both have to come through Virginia...and that's where most of the problems, in VA, with outlaw MC's comes from.

I don't know anything about the Renegades. Back in the 60's I tagged along with a few of the Pagans for a while. I didn't see anyone that even remotely resembled either at Q.S.. Most of what I saw were the same people you'd meet on a weekend ride to Williamsburg.

The one in Tidewater may have more Gang members. I don't know what goes on there. In Richmond it seems like a pretty peaceful bunch though.

fully_armed_biker

I don't know anything about the Renegades. Back in the 60's I tagged along with a few of the Pagans for a while. I didn't see anyone that even remotely resembled either at Q.S.. Most of what I saw were the same people you'd meet on a weekend ride to Williamsburg.

The one in Tidewater may have more Gang members. I don't know what goes on there. In Richmond it seems like a pretty peaceful bunch though.

You wouldn't necessarily see them at a QS&L...I was speaking generally. You'd be more likely to see them in what is traditionally a roadside dive biker bar. My wife and I were at one in Grandy, NC a couple of weeks ago...and there were about a dozen Renegades there, and that's just the ones we saw...

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
****update****

Just got off the phone with Jesse Griffith who is the regional manager for Va.

He is firmly, 110% behind gun owners. He has absolutely zero problems with customers who open carry or carry concealed. He had some signs made up that said words to the effect of "no weapons, no nuclear weapons" as kind of a Planet Hollywood joking way of hoping that he didn't have any trouble with some rival bike groups. Apparently the wearing of colors has become an issue in a few QS&L's.

He said that he would love to host an Open Carry dinner and will not put up any signage barring the lawful carry of firearms. He may put up something like "no illegal weapons" or "no nuclear weapons :)" but he hasn't decided yet. I think our discussion went far today and he sounds like a definite gun rights supporter. I say, let's show him some support and have a dinner there.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Excellent stuff ProShooter. If an OC dinner is scheduled to support QS&L I'll do my best to make it. It's been a bit since I've seen many of you Richmond types.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
He may put up something like "no illegal weapons" or "no nuclear weapons :)" but he hasn't decided yet. I think our discussion went far today and he sounds like a definite gun rights supporter. I say, let's show him some support and have a dinner there.

I need to get off my duff and get the exact wording on some of the businesses in Texas. Basically, it says don't carry a firearm illegally in here. The implication, though, is that there are plenty of chances real customers are carrying legally.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Just got off the phone with Jesse Griffith who is the regional manager for Va.

He is firmly, 110% behind gun owners. He has absolutely zero problems with customers who open carry or carry concealed. He had some signs made up that said words to the effect of "no weapons, no nuclear weapons" as kind of a Planet Hollywood joking way of hoping that he didn't have any trouble with some rival bike groups. Apparently the wearing of colors has become an issue in a few QS&L's.

He said that he would love to host an Open Carry dinner and will not put up any signage barring the lawful carry of firearms. He may put up something like "no illegal weapons" or "no nuclear weapons :)" but he hasn't decided yet. I think our discussion went far today and he sounds like a definite gun rights supporter. I say, let's show him some support and have a dinner there.
That would even be worthy of driving down for depending on the date and time.