• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Which guns should we get?

chiefjason

Your best bet is to get some ideas, then try to find a range where you can rent and shoot the guns you are looking for. Sometimes a gun that looks and feels great in the store is a real piece of junk on the range where it counts. Or the controls are awkward for you. FWIW, I carry a G 19 OC and CC, my wife has a Springfield XD 9mm sc. Both are great all around guns. Here are 2 ranges I can think of.

On Target in Asheville. No website, but here is some info. Call and see what they rent, I know they have rentals.

http://www.superpages.com/bp/Asheville-NC/On-Target-Shooting-Range-Inc-L0097318135.htm

Springs Road Gun Club in Hickory. This is the range I use. They have their rentals listed on the website.

http://www.springsroadgun.net/

Also, be careful carrying on NC Gamelands. Outside of regular hunting seasons you are restricted to a .22 pistol only. Dumb law, I know. But it is what it is until it's changed.

Dreamer

On Target in Asheville. No website, but here is some info. Call and see what they rent, I know they have rentals.

I've been to OnTarget. They have very friendly staff, usually have several women working the counter, and they have about 3 dozen different handguns that they rent. Prices are VERY reasonable. They have all the major calibers (9mm, .40S&W, .45acp, .357) in semiautos and revolvers for rent, and their range is nice but small. Weekends are CROWDED, but if you go on a weekday, or during the day, it might not be so crowded.

They are attentive, willing to chat, and had a good selection of rentals.

I would HIGHLY recommend them if you are shopping, and want to try a variety of handguns.

cricketdad

I know this is a huge thing to consider and I would love some advice. I have owned one gun before and it was a Smith and Wesson semi-auto 9mm Sigma. I had to sell it but I am ready for my next gun purchase.

What the gun will be used for:

Home Protection
Open and Concealed Carry
Hiking Protection (Forest with Black Bears and Mountain Lions) - (I would like to be able to take one of these down if attacked)

I am looking for a pistol that will be a good value for my money because I am not rich and can't afford an expensive gun. However, I would like it to be versatile enough to cover the things above without any problems.

Also any suggestions for a woman to carry for protection (my wife's first gun) to be used in the same scenarios as me would be great.

I really appreciate any suggestions and if you live in WNC any good places to shop. Thanks!

My opinion, you will not find what you want in one firearm. What will take a bear down will go through bodies and walls and possibly hit something or somebody you didn't intend on hitting.

I carry a .45 1911 model, not a firearm for a novice. For the home I use a short barreled 12ga shotgun backed up with .45's and .38's stashed around the house and vehicles .

I really wouldn't want to take on a bear with any of those.

TheFreeman

How a gun "fits" your hand will have a lot to do with what is comfortable to you. I love my single stack 1911 because it is very natural for my hands and very comfortable. However, the double stack 1911's do not fit my hand at all, and are uncomfortable and more difficult for me to shoot. So take some time to get hands on with a gun. Range time is even better.

Take a look at the Springfield XD and XDm line up. I love mine, and it has been very reliable for me since I've had it. I wouldn't try and take a bear with it though...

flb_78

What gun should I use for the bears?

460S&W Magnum

mith+%26+Wesson+460,+3+1:2

Last edited:

sultan62

One gun cannot fill all of those categories well, at least not a mainstream. Maybe there is something extremely obscure out there that could do it. Otherwise a high-powered handgun (such as the aforementioned .460) would probably be your best bet.

The best answer, of course, is multiple guns. But isn't that usually the best answer?;)

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
I have the perfect solution for you:

I suggest the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan - it is a short-barrel (2.5") revolver chambered in your choice of either .44 magnum, or .454 casull. Either one can take a bear down. For protection from two-legged predators, the .44 magnum can be loaded with .44 special cartridges, and likewise, the .454 casull accepts the lower powered .45 colt cartridges.

5303.jpg

flb_78

is there a wheelie gun that shoots both those calibers with a much longer barrel? That snub nose would break a wrist, lol

Yep, that gun in available is a variety of lengths from 2" to 9".

also, the 460S&W Magnum is a lengthened 454Casull so all three cartridges can be shot from the same gun.

Ammo Comparison: Left to Right -
.45 Colt
.454 Casull
.460 S&W Magnum

left+to+right+.45+Colt,+.454+Casull,+and+.460+S%26W+Magnum+Ammo.jpg

Plus the 460 is available in a "Bear Survival Kit"

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/39972

bear%20case.jpg

chiefjason

So many laws my head is spinning. 22 only in game lands. Well I guess I better make sure to call the ranger every time I go hiking or back packing to see if hunting season is going on and if the trail is in game land or not. Maybe they will get tired of my weekly calls.

What gun should I use for the bears?

If you are worried about bears, get a can of bear spray too. In all likely hood it will be more effective than a gun at deterring a black bear. If you need to kill a black bear, well 8-10 rds of 9mm will be the best I could do. The .22 would just be for noise with a bear. lol My opinion, carry what you normally carry, but expect to empty the mag if you are fighting off a bear. Black bears do not generally attack people, but if they ever attack a person it's to kill them. YOu fight a black bear to the death. But in 25 yrs of hiking, hunting, and fishing WNC I have yet to have a bad run in with a bear. I'm more worried about the 2 legged predators, and hogs. Public land comes in a few categories in NC...

State parks- no firearms

local city or county parks- check local ordinances about firearms

gamelands- includes national forests and private property in the gameland system- NCWRC rules apply, .22 outside of a hunting season, no caliber restrictions during hunting seasons unless you are hunting something that has a restriction in the season, ie archery deer, muzzleloader deer, or shotguns for turkey.

National Parks- carry per state law

If you want to suggest that they change the law on gamelands, now is the time to do it. They are taking public comments on rules changes for 2011. I'm planning on emailing them as well. Here is the link for making comments.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?80252-NCWRC-public-hearings

rotorhead

I know this is a huge thing to consider and I would love some advice. I have owned one gun before and it was a Smith and Wesson semi-auto 9mm Sigma. I had to sell it but I am ready for my next gun purchase.

What the gun will be used for:

Home Protection
Open and Concealed Carry
Hiking Protection (Forest with Black Bears and Mountain Lions) - (I would like to be able to take one of these down if attacked)

I am looking for a pistol that will be a good value for my money because I am not rich and can't afford an expensive gun. However, I would like it to be versatile enough to cover the things above without any problems.

Also any suggestions for a woman to carry for protection (my wife's first gun) to be used in the same scenarios as me would be great.

I really appreciate any suggestions and if you live in WNC any good places to shop. Thanks!

I'm a little biased with this new M&P .40 (quickly becoming my favorite). S&W did an excellent job with the M&P series, especially over their own Sigmas. The .40 is a nice fit between 9mm and .45, too, plus ammo is still fairly reasonable as far as price goes.

New ones will go for around $500 or so, give or take a few. Used ones are roughly $50-$100 less depending on where you find them. The M&Ps come in 9mm, .40 cal, .357, and .45 although one cool thing is that the .40 cal can also fit the .357 barrel in it. Swap barrels and ammo and it's like having 2 guns in one.

my 2 cents :)

smlawrence

I love my Springfield Armory XDm .40. It had my vote from the first trigger pull. Everyone has their preference. Find one that feels good in your hands and one that you can hit what you aim at with and that will be the best gun for you.

sultan62

I like my XD45 as well. From what I hear the XDm is better, and the XDm45 is out now. It doesn't have the slide safety option, though most people probably don't care about this.