Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Campus Questions + When to Show ID?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Detroit, Mi, ,
    Posts
    13

    Campus Questions + When to Show ID?

    Now that I am at school now I want to make sure I have my rights covered especially because I'm going to the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor (very liberal).

    I've noticed a heavy police presence and justifiably so. If I am walking around at night or at a party under what circumstances do I have to respond or present identification. I do not drink but can an officer subject me to a Breathalyzer test for no reasons? Basically I'm wondering what my rights are now that I am on campus property under these situations and any others that you may foresee.

    Adam

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Wyandotte, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    456
    Michigan is not a stop and ID state, so police officers cannot just demand ID and detain people if they are doing nothing wrong for the purposes of just checking IDs.

    However, when it comes to college campuses be vary careful. If you are dealing with a city, county, or state officer, the above would apply. If you are dealing with campus police, they are usually certified officers with the ADDITIONAL authority to enforce campus policies as well. If your college has a policy to ID yourself to staff anytime they see fit, the officer could submit a report that you failed to comply with his commands which in turn the college could take disciplinary action against you. Before challenging a campus officer I would make sure you know all your school policies inside and out.

    On the other hand, if you are just visiting the campus, follow the wash, rinse and repeat advice as listed in the top of this form.

  3. #3
    Regular Member TheQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    3,448
    Quote Originally Posted by Adame24 View Post
    Now that I am at school now I want to make sure I have my rights covered especially because I'm going to the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor (very liberal).

    I've noticed a heavy police presence and justifiably so. If I am walking around at night or at a party under what circumstances do I have to respond or present identification. I do not drink but can an officer subject me to a Breathalyzer test for no reasons? Basically I'm wondering what my rights are now that I am on campus property under these situations and any others that you may foresee.

    Adam
    I know MSU has apparently had enforceable campus ordinances relating to weapons. Colleges with police forces are not named in the exemption statute for Michigan.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

    I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

    Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Hartford, MI, ,
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by budlight View Post
    the officer could submit a report that you failed to comply with his commands
    How?

    "White male, brown hair, 18-25 years of age, approximately 5'8", 150 lbs failed to comply"

    I think about 30% of campus meets that description.

    -Richard-

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Wyandotte, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by office888 View Post
    How?

    "White male, brown hair, 18-25 years of age, approximately 5'8", 150 lbs failed to comply"

    I think about 30% of campus meets that description.

    -Richard-
    By just a description like that, not much would come of it. But if other scenarios play out like talking to someone else that was with him in the area, getting a license plate number of a car he got into, etc.

    I'm simply advising that Campus PD could cause him a lot more grief then a regular officer.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1
    I grew up and currently live in Ann Arbor. I know many officer who work with Ann Arbor PD, UofM PD, and Washtenaw County. Going to school in Ann Arbor, you'll see all of these departments working. I've heard different opinions about UofM propert and weapon possession from serveral of these officers.

    First off, here is a link with some information from UofM
    http://www.umd.umich.edu/317101/

    I've heard from several of UofM officers/employees that even carrying concealed is against University policy on ANY university property. If this is your first time to Ann Arbor you'll learn quickly that there is TONS of UofM property throughout Ann Arbor city.

    That being said, alot of the areas on "campus/down town" change from UofM property to city property and you'll often see Ann Arbor/UofM/County officers conducting stops/making contact all throughout. So you may also find yourself in a situation where had you been stopped by UofM you'd be facing a possible charge where as with Ann Arbor you're fine (unless they descide to contact UofM etc.)

    So do some more research, I'd be curious to read your results, and good luck.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •