• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry confronted with Knife - Washoe County Sherriff's do the right thing

Sietch Woolsey

Think Carefully

Washoe County Blues said:
He goes to the Reno justice court next week for kicking out a cruiser window at the time of his arrest (I am assured he will face time for this).
GOOD TIMES!!!! Next time - I am more likely to shoot just because I know the flippin DA will let them off! I have also been carrying an 11 mag .40 +1 with two 11 rnd mag spares.

Cheeze! Reading all this makes me wanna go dwn the street to where he is and egg him on to try it again!!!
NO. This is what will land you in trouble. If you are ever involved in a shooting, bet on the investigating authority finding this. And if you face charges, you'd better believe this WILL be allowed into evidence, and a prosecutor WILL use it against you. This is a prosecutor's dream.

Good job protecting yourself and yours. But this stuff can and will ruin you. Think carefully.

USARMYVet

I have to agree with Old Grump. I served a 15 month combat tour in Iraq, even out there it is never cut and dry. I have been involved in my share of fire fights, that does not mean that I am a "Bad Ass". Every situation is different. If you are assaulted you have milliseconds to asses the situation and react in the most intelligent manner. Shooting immediately, is not always the best solution.

As far as the OP goes, congratulations, a gun is an escalator, you pull it and all notions of sensibility go out the window. You did everything properly.

28kfps

I would still like to hear from Washoe County Blues why the first post did not say anything about the others with guns and if they were also arrested or detained. I would find it hard to believe if the knife holder’s friends were legal gun owners.

chrsjhnsn

similar experience with RPD, except I was ccw'ing. the knife guy was released in a week acting crazy in downtown Rno, oddly enough someone was stabbed for no reason in the exact same spot one summer later.
I believe its the same guy but I am not going to press it-why do they let these braindead zombies out so quickly?

Last edited:

mark-in-texas

For all of those posters who are eager to shoot the tweeker and take his life I assume you are young and have never been in a fight before. You have absolutely no idea how immature you sound or how it would make you look if anything did happen and your words are out here on the internet to be used against you if you ever do get in a situation. You might want to step back and grow up a little or at least be a little more circumspect in your posts. You do not want somebody's blood or life on your hands or on your conscience unless there is absolutely no other reasonable way out of the situation. I hope you never have to find out. The OP did exactly what he had to do, he was there we weren't so don't be telling him what he should have done, you are only second guessing and that looks stupid.

At 45 yrs old, I'm definitely not 'young!' You're right, I've never (THANK GOD!!) been in a fight. However, I've thought & prayed a lot about this kind of situation. My conscience will be totally clear if I've acted in reasonable fear in the protection of myself or loved ones. The thought of helplessly seeing harm come to any of them literally makes me sick, I have a hard time even typing that down here. I love them so much that I'd use my last breath to save them. No, I don't want to be 'circumspect.' I want all to know that my thinking is clear of doubts; that my actions are calculated to produce the most good for 'my' side. Yes, I will probably experience all the traumatic effects of causing grave harm to another; but weighed against how I would feel if I couldn't protect a loved one, it's a no-brainer! Every time I holster that gun, I pray I won't have to use it, but I will if I have to.

28kfps

The original poster being a fairly new poster and the story looking just a tad made up and no reply to what happened to other guys with guns making me think of grabbing the BS penalty flag. Not quite ready to throw it but close.

Old Grump

At 45 yrs old, I'm definitely not 'young!' You're right, I've never (THANK GOD!!) been in a fight. However, I've thought & prayed a lot about this kind of situation. My conscience will be totally clear if I've acted in reasonable fear in the protection of myself or loved ones. The thought of helplessly seeing harm come to any of them literally makes me sick, I have a hard time even typing that down here. I love them so much that I'd use my last breath to save them. No, I don't want to be 'circumspect.' I want all to know that my thinking is clear of doubts; that my actions are calculated to produce the most good for 'my' side. Yes, I will probably experience all the traumatic effects of causing grave harm to another; but weighed against how I would feel if I couldn't protect a loved one, it's a no-brainer! Every time I holster that gun, I pray I won't have to use it, but I will if I have to.

If you are ever in that situation you will feel different. First you need to evaluate, are you or others in danger or not, can you defuse the situation with words, can you escape from the situation by withdrawing, can you defuse the situation with a verbal command telling him you are armed. All possibilities must be exhausted first before your finger ever gets near your trigger. That is a last resort only and once that bullet leaves the barrel you cannot ask for a do over, you are committed. A cool head is paramount to surviving and going Hollywood cowboy will end up just making things worse.

28kfps

Yep. It would appear this is another made up story by a frustrated hero.

EXTREMEOPS1

Campaign Veteran
I am a combat veteran !!!!!

For all of those posters who are eager to shoot the tweeker and take his life I assume you are young and have never been in a fight before. You have absolutely no idea how immature you sound or how it would make you look if anything did happen and your words are out here on the internet to be used against you if you ever do get in a situation. You might want to step back and grow up a little or at least be a little more circumspect in your posts. You do not want somebody's blood or life on your hands or on your conscience unless there is absolutely no other reasonable way out of the situation. I hope you never have to find out. The OP did exactly what he had to do, he was there we weren't so don't be telling him what he should have done, you are only second guessing and that looks stupid.

Having served in the Iran / Iraq war, Bosnia and Operation Desert Storm I am certainly not young or immature . I am well versed in combat tactics but as previously stated the tweeker would be in a body bag having advanced on me and or my family and I certainly no how to.....having said that every situation needs evaluating and those split second decisions are second nature to some and not to others . If you are not prepared to use your weapon in a life threatening situation ..leave it at home and try calling 911 as the tweeker advances (at speed) to murder you where you stand!!!

Washoe County Blues

The original poster being a fairly new poster and the story looking just a tad made up and no reply to what happened to other guys with guns making me think of grabbing the BS penalty flag. Not quite ready to throw it but close.

Hey brother. The trueth often sounds hard to believe. I don't come onto these boards to often... one of the cops actually mentioned your site so I checked it out. let me read through and I may make some replies.

Last edited:

Washoe County Blues

I find it interesting you did not mentioned the armed friends in the first post. Were they arrested also? I would find it hard to believe they were legal gun owners.

I don't mean to give the impression that I KNEW they were armed. I tend to make the worst absolute assumption in a case like that. Particualrly when my family is behind me. If I can't see you, but I know your there I am waiting for you to step out with an Uzi in one hand and grenades in the other.

Last edited:

Washoe County Blues

Yep. It would appear this is another made up story by a frustrated hero.

THanks for old Grump for perspective. I couldn't have said it better. I have been in tense situation but never had so much time to think, it gave me an all new appreciation for our combat vets (thank you, for all you do).... Also thanks for the insights to watch my words on these sites.

28kfps: I have a demanding job, understand my lack of response or low prioritization of this discussion. Got the below from the crime tracker around the time it happened. The most 'proof' I am willing to offer. Look in the Sun Valley area on the dates below and you might find assault with a deadly weapon or attempted murder on those dates. Otherwise think I am a frustrated hero if it makes you feel better.

Crime Report:
Crime Type: ASSAULT
Date: 2010-09-12 00:00:00
Address: Censored
City, State: Sun Valley, NV
Police Narrative: Description:AGGRAV ASSAULT, BATTERY, ATT MURDER
ASSAULT A
Learn More:

Last edited:

Washoe County Blues

Having served in the Iran / Iraq war, Bosnia and Operation Desert Storm

Thank you.

If you are not prepared to use your weapon in a life threatening situation ..leave it at home and try calling 911 as the tweeker advances (at speed) to murder you where you stand!!
I have learned from this. And I basically agree. I am still carrying, and probably a little more on edge and aware of what that means now.

Last edited:

28kfps

Ok, Ok Sorry about that I had a complete wrong read on this. No reply to my earlier questions is what help push me to the wrong conclusion. I do again apologize. Thanks for sharing the experience and how you corrected me. Most might have been a lot harsher. I am glad it worked out as it did.

Last edited:

rushcreek2

The D.A. obviously does not "approve" of LAWFUL OC, since it was offered as a "defense" to the ASSAULT (he ADVANCED towards you )in a menacing manner with a deadly weapon (knife). Menacing another person with a knife IS A CRIME. The D.A.'s message to law-abiding OC'ers :

OC = presumption of guilt , or constitutes evidence of YOUR INITIATING the "menacing CONTACT"- and if any person is "offended by" your lawful armed condition., they (even scumbags) have a "right" to defend themselves against your "threatening" conduct by assaulting you with deadly force. The D.A. hopes that your terrifying experience will teach YOU a lesson. I understand that you would prefer to disengage from this incident rather than further involve yourself with this "tweeker " cadre, but did this D.A. not consider the fact that your wife was NOT ARMED with a handgun - and yet SHE was also assaulted with a deadly weapon?

Place this D.A. in the unemployment line come the next election.

Last edited:

crzyjarmans

you did the right thing

you did the right thing,deadly force is allways the very last resort,for all you that said you would have killed them,need to remember that its not you that decides if its a rigfhtfull shoot,if ever happens to you and you do shot and kill someome you will be tried,i keep reading 21 ft,you got a lot to learn about weapons
I was open carrying in Sun Valley when I was confronted by a drunk tweeker with a knife and several druggy friends. As a long time resident of the Reno/Sparks area I was utterly shocked to see such a character in Sun Valley:p But I was able to put my self between the freak and my family. We tried to move away, 30 feet down the road and crossed the street.... He actually came pretty close several times, I nearly shot him several times, but I was able to get him to back down long enough to call the cops.

Tweek boy and friends thought for sure I was going to jail since OF COURSE you can't just carry a gun around like that. They kept jeering my wife that I was going to jail.

He tried to make the knife disappear before the cops arrived. They hooked everybody up, as I expected, and put us in cars, got everyone's story. They found the knife, booked my new found tweeker friend on assault and battery with a deadly weapon (a complete shock to him since, after all, I had a gun).

I expected to lose my gun, maybe spend the night at Parr - but the Washoe County Sherriff's handed me my bullets for my revolver, told me to put them in my pocket, and told me to go ahead and conceal my weapon so as not to provoke the tweekers further, and sent me on my way.

Lessons to be taken:

1 - Ignorance of the masses can sometimes play in your favor.
2 - washoe County Sherriff's are on the ball - a couple of them in particular (I only know officer Diaz's name) seemed to think I carried very responsibly and fully within my rights.
3 - Next time I carry my revolver I am bringing speed loaders - who knows what friends the bad guys might have
4 - Never pull a knife on somebody who has he was a gun. I wonder if dude knows how lucky he was to merely be facing assault with a deadly weapon and some other charges? With my family to protect - I Damn near shot him... very, VERY, CLOSE.