• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

California school Gun Free zones

EXTREMEOPS1

Campaign Veteran
Used my GPS to show my Points of Interest (POI) as schools, OMG there are so many school zones in my area its not funny best I start locking up my weapon instead of driving around with it holstered and unloaded ,,,,,

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
EXTREMEOPS1 wrote: "there are so many school zones in my area its not funny best I start locking up my weapon instead of driving around with it holstered and unloaded ,,,,, "

Don't plan on having it in your car - you'd best be locking it up at home. Why?

California Penal Code 626.9(b), states: Any person who possesses a firearm in a place that the person knows, or reasonably should know, is a school zone, as defined in paragraph (1) of subdivision (e), unless it is with the written permission of the school district superintendent, his or her designee, or equivalent school authority, shall be punished as specified in subdivision (f).

You're going to have to send out one or more of these:

Dear Superintendent ___________,

California Penal Code, Section 626.9, otherwise known as the Gun-Free School Zone Act of 1995, generally prohibits a person from possessing a firearm within one thousand feet of the grounds of a public or private school. It does not matter if one is on foot or is driving from one place to another. Passing through a school zone as defined by the law while possessing a firearm is prohibited.

Subsection (b) of the Act does permit a person to carry a firearm outside of one's home or business with the written permission of the school district superintendent, his or her designee, or equivalent school authority.

I would like to be able to protect myself and my family while outside of my home, off school grounds, something that state law currently restricts without your written permission.

Briefly stated, I cannot exercise a fundamental civil right guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution and applicable to the states without your okay.

To add insult to injury, I'm not even permitted to be on my unfenced front yard with a firearm without your permission since my home is within 1,000 feet of a school in your school district.

I respectfully request your written permission, per California Penal Code, Section 626.9(b), to lawfully possess a firearm while within the geographic confines of your school district.

Sincerely,

Last edited:

EXTREMEOPS1

Campaign Veteran
Well as I have my planned route

EXTREMEOPS1 wrote: "there are so many school zones in my area its not funny best I start locking up my weapon instead of driving around with it holstered and unloaded ,,,,, "

Don't plan on having it in your car - you'd best be locking it up at home. Why?

California Penal Code 626.9(b), states: Any person who possesses a firearm in a place that the person knows, or reasonably should know, is a school zone, as defined in paragraph (1) of subdivision (e), unless it is with the written permission of the school district superintendent, his or her designee, or equivalent school authority, shall be punished as specified in subdivision (f).

The way the law is written, you can't even drive through a school zone with a firearm in your vehicle without permission.

You're going to have to send out one or more of these:

Dear Superintendent ___________,

California Penal Code, Section 626.9, otherwise known as the Gun-Free School Zone Act of 1995, generally prohibits a person from possessing a firearm within one thousand feet of the grounds of a public or private school. It does not matter if one is on foot or is driving from one place to another. Passing through a school zone as defined by the law while possessing a firearm is prohibited.

Subsection (b) of the Act does permit a person to carry a firearm outside of one's home or business with the written permission of the school district superintendent, his or her designee, or equivalent school authority.

I would like to be able to protect myself and my family while outside of my home, off school grounds, something that state law currently restricts without your written permission.

Briefly stated, I cannot exercise a fundamental civil right guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution and applicable to the states without your okay.

To add insult to injury, I'm not even permitted to drive to a shooting range to obtain or maintain proficiency with a firearm without your permission since my drive takes me within 1,000 feet of a school in your school district.

I respectfully request your written permission, per California Penal Code, Section 626.9(b), to lawfully possess a firearm while within the geographic confines of your school district.

Sincerely,

I won't be sending one of those anytime soon .....but I'll keep it in mind..btw has anyone ever had any luck submitting these to school superintendents in CA ..last time I read up on it they were always denied and refered to the Sheriff to dismiss any thought of allowing such a thing ...

Last edited:

Statkowski

If you want to legally drive through a school zone in California with a firearm somewhere in your vehicle, even if you're going to a shooting range somewhere, you are required by law to ask for permission to exercise a fundamental right.

Whether you send such a letter or not means nothing to me since I'm not in California.

Could you imagine if every firearm owner in California each sent out just one such letter to their local school board?

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
If you want to legally drive through a school zone in California with a firearm somewhere in your vehicle, even if you're going to a shooting range somewhere, you are required by law to ask for permission to exercise a fundamental right.

This isn't true. CA PC 626.9 has an exemption for traveling with a handgun that is unloaded and locked in a fully enclosed container.

(c) Subdivision (b) does not apply to the possession of a firearm
under any of the following circumstances:
(2) When the firearm is an unloaded pistol, revolver, or other
firearm capable of being concealed on the person and is in a locked
container or within the locked trunk of a motor vehicle.
This section does not prohibit or limit the otherwise lawful
transportation of any other firearm, other than a pistol, revolver,
or other firearm capable of being concealed on the person, in
accordance with state law.

Statkowski

The county sheriff isn't the one who's supposed to reply, the school district's administrator is. State law says so.

In order to legally carry a firearm anywhere within a school zone, you are required by law to ask for permission. If your house is within such an unmarked zone, you can't even carry while standing on your own unfenced front yard.

Whether they grant it or not is immaterial initially, but when you insert buzzwords such as "fundamental right," "U.S. Supreme Court" and a few others, it may just start to sink in.

The more people that write such requests, the more of an impact it'll have.

What we have here is a bureaucrat denying you your civil rights without due process of law.

Are you willing to stand for such?

Last edited:

EXTREMEOPS1

Campaign Veteran
Ca pc 626.9

Whether you send such a letter or not means nothing to me since I'm not in California.

Could you imagine if every firearm owner in California each sent out just one such letter to their local school board?

(c) Subdivision (b) does not apply to the possession of a firearm
under any of the following circumstances:
(2) When the firearm is an unloaded pistol, revolver, or other
firearm capable of being concealed on the person and is in a locked
container or within the locked trunk of a motor vehicle.

This section does not prohibit or limit the otherwise lawful
transportation of any other firearm, other than a pistol, revolver,
or other firearm capable of being concealed on the person, in
accordance with state law.

Army

In order to legally carry a firearm anywhere within a school zone, you are required by law to ask for permission. If your house is within such an unmarked zone, you can't even carry while standing on your own unfenced front yard.

No, no, no. Travel through a GFSZ is covered in the law...read it further. handguns must be unloaded and locked in a container while passing through. Permission from the Super is required to carry onto the K-12 school property.

Permission from the university/college president is also required to carry onto that property, but it does NOT fall under the GFSZ 1000' rule, ONLY K-12 schools do.

Your unfenced front yard is public access, despite being private property. If within the 1000' zone also, you will be charged with illegal carry and possession (member Theseus was thusly charged and convicted of just this. He was NOT allowed to cite the GFSZ law in court.)

Put up a fully gated fence, and dance on the lawn with your Colt on your side.

hgreen

So the important question is who is currently planning on mounting a legal challenge to the school VDZ law here in CA?

I know a lot of people willing to donate lots of $$ to a team that would do this. I'd personally put several K into the effort if we get a good team on it.

Its a bad law and could not be challenged soon enough!

merle

The key word to all the school zones are "reasonable". You may not know a school zone (or multiples thereof) are on the way to your local gun range.

However you're expected to know if you live next door to one, or park next to one.

hgreen

The key word to all the school zones are "reasonable". You may not know a school zone (or multiples thereof) are on the way to your local gun range.

However you're expected to know if you live next door to one, or park next to one.

Unfortunately "reason" is not present in some of the activist judges and city attorneys in CA when they prosecute and convict for people being in school zones even if a 626.9 exemption applies.