• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Was asked to leaved Walmart East, Green Bay, then told I was ok

I arrived at Walmart last night at about 1030 with a friend to wait in line so that I could pay the 150 dollars to get the new Halo Reach, Legendary Edition that launched at midnight. At first, it was just my friend and I, we just milled around, looking at stuff and bullshtting. After about 45 minutes, two managers approached me and told I can't have my weapon in the store. I politely told them this has happened in Walmarts across the state and every time the end result has been policy is to follow state laws. We discussed things a little further and continued to as they walked me to the door. I was going to put the pistol in my truck and come right back, because nothing was stopping me from getting this game, also considering since Walmart only had 2 Legendary Editions. As soon as I turned arounnd after putting the pistol in my truck, one of the managers told me he called higher up and they told him what I told him, that the policy is to follow state law. Score one.

M

McX

i'm glad to see it resolved in favor of you. but you ever notice how people are quick to say no, you can't do that, then later end up eating crow? Just shows the mentality present, and that the public has a long way to go, and we have our work cut out for us.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
Handled it very well. If they want you out, leave BUT always ask them to get clarification from THE manager or CORPORATE OFFICE.

Enjoy the game and continue to carry.

Again, well done!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
I think that the idea of people handling guns in their parking lots and storing guns in cars ultimately scares retail executives more than paying customer carying while shopping.

Public handling and storing of weapons should be avaoided whenever possible.

M

McX

mike, were stuck with public handling and storing to comply with vehicle transport laws here!

paul@paul-fisher.com

I think that the idea of people handling guns in their parking lots and storing guns in cars ultimately scares retail executives more than paying customer carying while shopping.

Agree 200%, however, WI vehicle carry laws preclude any other options. We must have weapons unloaded and encased in vehicles.

Shane28

walmart and alochal

Does the east side sell alochol? I know the west side does and is it illeagal to carry in there because they do sell or maybe I inturpet the law wrong. but i thought it read sell or consume alochol.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Does the east side sell alochol? I know the west side does and is it illeagal to carry in there because they do sell or maybe I inturpet the law wrong. but i thought it read sell or consume alochol.

You can carry in a liquor store, you just cannot carry where they sell alcohol by the drink (bar, restaurant, saloon) without permission of the liquor license holder. Technically, the law reads, premises with a class-b liquor license.

Last edited:

Shane28

Thank you. I misunderstood and dont know much on liqour lincese. well off the grocery store than.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member

From the Wisconsin Carry, Inc web site:

941.237 Carrying handgun where alcohol beverages may be sold and consumed.
(1) In this section:
(a) “Alcohol beverages” has the meaning given in s. 125.02(1).
(b) “Correctional officer” means any person employed by the state or any political subdivision as a guard or officer whose principal duties are the supervision and discipline of inmates.
(c) “Encased” has the meaning given in s. 167.31 (1) (b). (cm) “Firearms dealer” means
any person engaged in the business of importing, manufacturing or dealing in firearms and having a license as an importer, manufacturer or dealer issued by the U.S. department of the treasury.
(d) “Handgun” has the meaning given in s. 175.35 (1) (b). (dm) “Hotel” has the meaning given in s. 254.61 (3). (dr) Notwithstanding s. 939.22 (22), “peace officer” does not include a commission warden who is not a state−certified commission warden.
(e) “Premises” has the meaning given in s. 125.02 (14m), but excludes any area primarily used as a residence. (em) “Private security person” has the meaning given in s. 440.26 (1m) (h).
(f) “Target range” means any area where persons are allowed to use a handgun
to fire shots at targets. (fm) “Tavern” means an establishment, other than a private club or fraternal organization, in which alcohol beverages are sold for consumption on the
premises.
(g) “Unloaded” means any of the following: 1. Having no shell or cartridge in
the chamber of a handgun or in the magazine attached to a handgun. 2. In the case of a
caplock muzzle−loading handgun, having the cap removed. 3. In the case of a flintlock
muzzle−loading handgun, having the flashpan cleaned of powder.

(2) Whoever intentionally goes armed with a handgun on any premises for which a Class “B” or “Class B” license or permit has been issued under ch. 125 is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.

(3) Subsection (2) does not apply to any of the following:
(a) A peace officer.
(b) A correctional officer while going armed in the line of duty.
(c) A member of the U.S. armed forces or national guard while going armed in the line of duty. (cm) A private security person meeting all of the following criteria: 1. The private security person is covered by a license or permit issued under s. 440.26. 2. The private security person is going armed in the line of duty. 3. The private security person is acting with the consent of the person specified in par. (d).
(d) The licensee, owner, or manager of the premises, or any employee or agent authorized to possess a handgun by the licensee, owner, or manager of the premises. (e) The possession of a handgun that is unloaded and encased in a vehicle in any parking lot area.
(f) The possession or use of a handgun at a public or private gun or sportsmen’s range or club.
(g) The possession or use of a handgun on the premises if authorized for a specific event of limited duration by the owner or manager of the premises who is issued the Class “B” or “Class B” license or permit under ch. 125
for the premises.
(h) The possession of any handgun that is used for decoration if the handgun is encased, inoperable or secured in a locked condition.
(i) The possession of a handgun in any portion of a hotel other than the portion of the hotel that is a tavern.
(j) The possession of a handgun in any portion of a combination tavern and store devoted to other business if the store is owned or operated by a firearms dealer, the other business includes the sale of handguns and the handgun is possessed in a place other than a tavern.

(4) The state does not have to negate any exception under sub. (3). Any party that claims that an exception under sub. (3) is applicable has the burden of proving the exception by a preponderance of the evidence. History: 1993 a. 95, 491; 1995 a. 461; 2007 a. 27. Sub. (3) does not allow going armed with a concealed handgun in violation of s.941.23. State v. Mata, 199 Wis. 2d 315, 544 N.W.2d 578 (Ct. App. 1996), 95−1336.
So in a nutshell:
1. We carry where they sell, so long as they don't consume.
2. We carry where they sell AND consume with prior approval.
3. These restrictions only pertain to handguns. Long guns CAN be carried into these establishments without prior consent.