• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

locked container

1 2 many

Been looking thru the penal codes with no luck .does anybody know were I could find info on how I can legally transport a gun. I looked at the doj. Law and states I has to be unloaded in a locked container but can I have loaded mags in the same container. Penal code 12001 says they can't be within reach but that's if your a criminal. ?

Gundude

Been looking thru the penal codes with no luck .does anybody know were I could find info on how I can legally transport a gun. I looked at the doj. Law and states I has to be unloaded in a locked container but can I have loaded mags in the same container. Penal code 12001 says they can't be within reach but that's if your a criminal. ?

I use one of these. Available at harbor freight for about $12. Unloaded with ammo in the same container.

Last edited:

Gundude

So can it be done and still be in compliance?

I've never been tested by an LEO, but I'm confident it would pass the "locked up" muster.
I have the full mag and the gun in the container with an empty well, or an empty mag in the well. Either way the gun is unloaded.

1 2 many

I've never been tested by an LEO, but I'm confident it would pass the "locked up" muster.
I have the full mag and the gun in the container with an empty well, or an empty mag in the well. Either way the gun is unloaded.
. I just couldn't find anything that states you can't have. Them together

Gundude

If any such law existed, all the UOC'ers would be in jail. There is a myth out there that says you can't have ammo and a gun in the same compartment of you car. I don't know who or when it was started, but it is a myth. I have a holster that has a little pouch on it for the an extra mag. I carry my full mag in the pouch and an empty mag in the well. I just drop the holster into my booksafe and put it on the passenger seat when I'm driving.

Army

The only ammo transport law, is you cannot have ammunition in a position to be fired (none in chamber or cylinder, no filled magazines inserted in gun). There is some question about pocketing filled magazines, so we carry them openly on the belt while UOC, or keep them with the guns when not.

There is no law specifying that you cannot have ammo and firearms in the same container or space.

Transporting handguns can be done two ways legally: Unconcealed and unloaded in a holster or openly on the seat or dash. Or in a locked case (no description in the law of what is a locked case). Common sense says a hard case/box with combo or keyed lock, or padlock. I use a small briefcase with a combo lock, and roll one number up.

One huge caveat: Passing through a Gun Fee School Zone. CA law dictates you must transport a handgun in a locked case within 1000' of a K-12 school (the trunk qualifies as a locked container, as long as it is not accessable from the inside). If it is in a locked case, you can have it anywhere in the car.

CA law does NOT cover long guns inside the 1000' GFSZ, but Federal law does. Don't be a test case for the federal law :)

mjones

There is no law specifying that you cannot have ammo and firearms in the same container or space.

Transporting handguns can be done two ways legally: Unconcealed and unloaded in a holster or openly on the seat or dash. Or in a locked case (no description in the law of what is a locked case). Common sense says a hard case/box with combo or keyed lock, or padlock. I use a small briefcase with a combo lock, and roll one number up.

Generally speaking, great info from Army, but there are a few caveats...

You can't have firearms and ammo for them together in any fashion (unless you have a proper exemption) at the State Capitol, its grounds (and some surronding areas), legislator's offices, etc... Having the two together is defined as loaded. PCs 171c, 171d, 171e

Ditto for Gun Shows - PC 12071.4

For transportation purposes a 'locked case' is indeed defined; but not very well.

12026.1. (c) As used in this section, "locked container" means a secure
container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock,
combination lock, or similar locking device.

12026.2. (d) As used in this section, "locked container" means a secure
container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, keylock,
combination lock, or similar locking device. The term "locked
container" does not include the utility or glove compartment of a
motor vehicle.