• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying OC Spray...

calynn

I went back to Union Pines (my old HS) with my girlfriend's family (her parents are boosters) last Friday. Of course, I left my gun and knives at home. Got to the gate, paid for tickets and proceeded to the metal detection wanding before entering the gates.

My personal belongings:
Main key ring with my truck key, apartment keys, house keys, gun lock keys...
Motorcycle key ring
Cell phone
Wallet
and my girlfriend's OC spray.

Long story short I was told to take the OC spray back to the car, and upon returning to the gate (where I was very thoroughly wanded), I was told that I could be charged with having weapons on a school campus. Has anyone ever heard of this??? This occurred in the Moore County School district.

sultan62

I don't know about the OC spray, but...

I wouldn't want to go to a HS football game where they thought it was necessary to wand those entering, especially if I couldn't carry there.

calynn

It's sort of a misnomer. The school and county in general are very low crime... they have been wanding for at least 5 years or so. They just got certified as 'Special Police' under NC Chapter 74E so they are really doing it to it now. They bought a few Dodge Charger cars and have them labeled up as Moore County School Police. I looked up some info and here's what I've found:

The School Districts code of conduct prohibits students from carrying OC, but the state doesn't (under 14-269.2), and anyway I'm not a student. I tried calling the Chief of the Special Police today, but got no answer so I left a message. Maybe he'll call me back tomorrow.

sultan62

I don't actually know the laws on weapons other than guns on school property. I know, at least a while back, that knives were legal (at least pocket knives.)

Of course, I went to a school where most students carried a pocket knife as well.

chiefjason

I don't actually know the laws on weapons other than guns on school property. I know, at least a while back, that knives were legal (at least pocket knives.)

Of course, I went to a school where most students carried a pocket knife as well.

Actually, no. Knives are not legal, but OC spray is. Go figure. And yes I carried a knife most of my HS career and no one cared. Here's the statute given above that declares what is a "weapon" and illegal on school grounds. Just because they can tell the kids not to have it does not mean they can tell the adults not to. At least that's my opinion. I carry mine every time I go.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-269.2.html

sultan62

Hey, whaddaya know-it's just a misdemeanor for regular folks to carry a weapon on school property.

farkles

Hey, whaddaya know-it's just a misdemeanor for regular folks to carry a weapon on school property.

False from my reading....it is still a felony. It only happens to be a misdemeanor IF you are not a student AND it is not loaded AND is in a motor vehicle AND it is locked up in container or gun rack. Still a bunch of requirements to make it not a felony and rather a misdemeanor. Hopefully this GA session we can get this changed so that you cannot inadvertently become a felon by forgetting what is in your car. These laws are insane!