• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State Parks gun in CAR???

ocholsteroc

I am going to first landing state park and I want to know can I have my handgun in the car? It says permit holders only. But what about in the parking lot?

I heard something about the credit card thing and parks but I forgot what that was about. State park isnt federal? so wouldnt I beable to store it in my car?:confused:

http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/faq.shtml its at the bottom of the page.

"Firearms: Law enforcement officers and those with a concealed handgun permit may carry firearms. During hunts, hunters may have firearms, which should be unloaded and properly stored when outside designated hunt areas. Target shooting is prohibited. Air guns are prohibited."

Thanks

virginiatuck

I am going to first landing state park and I want to know can I have my handgun in the car? It says permit holders only. But what about in the parking lot?

I heard something about the credit card thing and parks but I forgot what that was about. State park isnt federal? so wouldnt I beable to store it in my car?:confused:

http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/faq.shtml its at the bottom of the page.

"Firearms: Law enforcement officers and those with a concealed handgun permit may carry firearms. During hunts, hunters may have firearms, which should be unloaded and properly stored when outside designated hunt areas. Target shooting is prohibited. Air guns are prohibited."

Thanks

I think this is pretty much up-to-date. See the first post in the thread:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?75894-Forests-Parks-Wildlife-Refuges-and-Cemeteries

To the best of my knowledge, you may only have a firearm in a Virginia State Park if you are in areas designated for hunting or if you have a valid concealed handgun permit.

Virginia State Parks
Managed and regulated by the Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation
Virginia State Park Preliminary Summary:
Open Carry: OK
in areas designated for hunting
Concealed Carry: OK with a valid permit issued pursuant to
§ 18.2-308
Unloaded and cased: OK in areas designated for hunting

References are available in the thread referenced above.

ocholsteroc

Thank you for the info.

Right now I have no clue what part I am going to and sounds difficult to do.

I doubt I am going to the area designated for hunting :(

I will find out what part I am going to.

t33j

I have CCed (as required) there. Can't imagine any area is designated for hunting.

Code says, "by holders of a valid concealed handgun permit" so it looks like the secure container thing is a no-go.

Last edited:

virginiatuck

Thank you for the info.

Right now I have no clue what part I am going to and sounds difficult to do.

I doubt I am going to the area designated for hunting :(

I will find out what part I am going to.

There is no hunting anywhere in the First Landing State Park.
http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/fir.shtml

If you do not have a permit then you may not lawfully possess/transport/carry a firearm (in any condition) within that park's limits.

Last edited: