Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I tried it

I tried it

Today I carried my pistol concealed it didn't feel right, I felt like I was trying to deceive someone oh sure it was legal for me to do so but I just didn't feel comfortable. All my concealed friends? told me it was more comfortable and gave me a tactical advantage, why if I was to draw it would take five minutes to untangle my gun from my clothes what tactical advantage are they talking about? They call me a barbarian for my open carry ways but at least I can access my pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by dukenukum View Post
    Today I carried my pistol concealed it didn't feel right, I felt like I was trying to deceive someone oh sure it was legal for me to do so but I just didn't feel comfortable. All my concealed friends? told me it was more comfortable and gave me a tactical advantage, why if I was to draw it would take five minutes to untangle my gun from my clothes what tactical advantage are they talking about? They call me a barbarian for my open carry ways but at least I can access my pistol.
    Barbarian! Now that's funny. Tell all of your "friends" that during the Founding era(some of the most cultured folks on history imo) it was considered to be poor form to conceal your weapon.
    He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent which will reach to himself. -- Thomas Paine (1737--1809), Dissertation on First Principles of Government, 1795

Banned
    The Alabama Supreme Court called CC "the evil practice of carrying weapons secretly" in a decision where they said that the AL code may NOT outlaw both OC and CC and that they tended toward OC.
    Last edited by eye95; 09-14-2010 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Forgot that all-important NOT.

It's the same issue for CCW folks going to OC. They just aren't comfortable with it.

As for your tangle of clothing, you just have to learn what kinds of clothing to wear and how to get to your firearm properly from a CCW stance. Just like anything else it takes practice.
    Last edited by heresyourdipstickjimmy; 09-14-2010 at 11:06 PM.

I'd rather be a barbarian than a corpse.

I think my son would, too.

What about them and theirs?

Who are they ambushing that they need an element of surprise? Surprise, you can't draw quickly from concealed! How 'bout them apples? Hope your KIDS aren't the ones buying those apples... Reality is more important than an ego trip.

I carry concealed sometimes, and like both modes, but I have noticed the CCers are not as accepting of OC as OCers are CCing.

I am on a CC forum and many CCers seem to think they are part of a secret society or something LOL.

I say let the word see those awesome guns!

Quote Originally Posted by rottman43055 View Post
    I carry concealed sometimes, and like both modes, but I have noticed the CCers are not as accepting of OC as OCers are CCing.

I am on a CC forum and many CCers seem to think they are part of a secret society or something LOL.

I say let the word see those awesome guns!
    well they are some of the few legally allowed to carry a weapon! or at least that's what they think, since many people think OC is not legal. People love feeling special...
    Last edited by Daylen; 09-15-2010 at 09:12 PM.

I have to carry concealed. Personally, I would much rather carry open as I would rather not be accosted by a BG just because he doesn't think I will resist. I would rather the BG see I'm packing and go bother someone else.

As for CC vs OC, well, I found my father's pro-CC attitude to be quite typical ... "It's no one's business whether you are carrying or not." I cannot dispute this on the one hand, but on the other hand, I feel that if I OC, no one should be surprised or concerned.

IMHO, CC and OC have common cause and that should be the freedom to choose which manner of carry without incuring censure from others. As I have seen mentioned on this forum many times, there would probably be more OC in the summer and more CC in the winter/inclement weather Maybe it's just me, but this seems fairly reasonable.
    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

Cool

Logical

I'm With You

Since I retired, my wardrobe now consists of t-shirts, bluejeans and one tuxedo. In the summer, I find it very uncomfortable to carry concealed as I am always worried if it is showing; so I just carry open.

...why if I was to draw it would take five minutes to untangle my gun from my clothes.
    If I feel it's appropriate for me to conceal during the summer, such as at the library or the movies, I simply drop my unholstered firearm into the water bladder area of my daypack (sans bladder, of course). It's a three-second retrieval and fire. During the winter, I'll park it in a downward-pointing shoulder holster beneath my jacket. That's a two-second retrieval and fire.

I prefer OC on my hip, as that's a one-second retrieval and fire.

I would ignore the debates as to which constitutes the best tactical advantage over the other. Most of the ones I've heard from both sides tend to be spurious adages, and not well-reasoned debate.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    ...I simply drop my unholstered firearm into the water bladder area of my daypack (sans bladder, of course)...
    you mean a fanny pack?

Quote Originally Posted by Daylen View Post
    you mean a fanny pack?
    No. I've a daypack. I use it often for hiking (with the bladder installed), but I also use it with my firearm in the bladder area.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Regular Member Brimstone Baritone's Avatar
    I think "It's no one's business whether I carry or not" is actually the best pro-CC reason I have ever heard. I wonder how many people out there CC just to be left alone by regular folks at the risk of being targeted by criminals.

Quote Originally Posted by mcdonalk View Post
    I think "It's no one's business whether I carry or not" is actually the best pro-CC reason I have ever heard. I wonder how many people out there CC just to be left alone by regular folks at the risk of being targeted by criminals.
    When I get my CHP, I'll probably conceal on those days I just don't feel like dealing with people. Sometimes it's too much of a pain to always be in a good mood when I'm OCing.

Quote Originally Posted by mcdonalk View Post
    I suspect it's more than we realize.

Quote Originally Posted by sultan62 View Post
    When I get my CHP, I'll probably conceal on those days I just don't feel like dealing with people. Sometimes it's too much of a pain to always be in a good mood when I'm OCing.
    Or when I don't feel like shaving a three-day writers' growth before heading to the grocery store...
    Last edited by since9; 12-08-2010 at 01:51 AM.

Guy's, I read this tactical advantage crap all the time. I disapprove of any gun regualtions and I make sure I let people know I hate carrying handguns. My pants wont stay up!
    This tactical advantage BS come from LE. Im not a cop, and I make more if not all the arrest in my neighborhood. Funny when you think about because I dont carry hanguns.
    My argument for anyone who claims the stupidity of tactical advantage in the only tactical advantage you could possibly have is BE AWARE OF WTF IS GOING ON AROUND YOU!!!

lolwut?

Quote Originally Posted by okboomer View Post
    I would much rather carry open as I would rather not be accosted by a BG just because he doesn't think I will resist. I would rather the BG see I'm packing and go bother someone else.
    ... the freedom to choose which manner of carry without incuring censure from others.
    Not something I say often, but AMEN!
    I cc'd while visiting my mother over Thanksgiving, 'cause she just wouldn't understand, but I still wanted to protect myself & her while we were out-n-about.
    There are times I'd like to cc here in WI, or at least have the option of closing my effin coat in the winter!!! I want some WAVE ghoul or Brady Bunch member to seriously explain to me how my being able to stay warm endangers public safety.
    Last edited by MKEgal; 12-08-2010 at 07:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

The two states where I operate mostly are NOT OC states. CC is the current law.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    Not something I say often, but AMEN!
    I cc'd while visiting my mother over Thanksgiving, 'cause she just wouldn't understand, but I still wanted to protect myself & her while we were out-n-about.
    There are times I'd like to cc here in WI, or at least have the option of closing my effin coat in the winter!!! I want some WAVE ghoul or Brady Bunch member to seriously explain to me how my being able to stay warm endangers public safety.
    if you were in Florida it would be the opposite argument you and the antis would be making. You for why it is a threat to public safety to wear just shorts and a holster; they on the side that if carry is legal CC is the only safe way. Funny how they can argue out the opposite sides of their mouths like that against any particular choice being the wrong one.

Quote Originally Posted by Daylen View Post
    if you were in Florida it would be the opposite argument you and the antis would be making. You for why it is a threat to public safety to wear just shorts and a holster; they on the side that if carry is legal CC is the only safe way. Funny how they can argue out the opposite sides of their mouths like that against any particular choice being the wrong one.
    I think the point that's being made is that the antis will choose whichever mode of carry is least convenient for us then argue that's the way "it ought to be for the public safety."

The only logical response is to tell the antis to go jump in the lake.
    Last edited by since9; 12-11-2010 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sultan62 View Post
    I agree with your statement on this because I have my CCDW as it is called here in Kentucky. I some times OC but for the most part I carry conceal so I don't have to deal with people. I am starting to practice OC more and more lately.
    Capricorn

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    I think the point that's being made is that the antis will choose whichever mode of carry is least convenient for us then argue that's the way "it ought to be for the public safety."

The only logical response is to tell the antis to go jump in the lake.
    total agreement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast